bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
I'm not that into cycling that much so can someone explain to me why fixed gears and no brakes are something you'd want to ride?

It seems like a regression in technology.

its basically a minimalist approach to bike riding. fixed gears were usually used for training, the idea of stripping the brakes off is to have less weight which means faster acceleration and easier pumps

its basically a minimalist approach to bike riding. fixed gears were usually used for training, the idea of stripping the brakes off is to have less weight which means faster acceleration and easier pumps

how gay.

single speed is functional minimalism.

fixed gear is image-oriented minimalism.

You're both off. Go study your history.

Fixed gears have indeed been used for training by roadies, but almost never brakeless, and modern day hipsters are not emulating road-training racers. The idea of stripping the brakes off was never for "faster accelerations" - if you're training, you don't want a lighter bike when the point is gaining fitness and efficiency, and roadies don't exactly let brakeless people ride in their groups. Non-sequitur.

oldskooltrack.com

Knee is fucked again. This really, really sucks. Three days, at least off the bike and then hopefully the healing will have begun.

Rubbish, no Roubaix for me. Which really sucks because I have been targeting that race. I have to keep telling myself that it's only April/May and there's still five months of racing... and Cyclocross to be ready for. I just want to ride my bike, though.

Seriously bummed.

You're both off. Go study your history.

Fixed gears have indeed been used for training by roadies, but almost never brakeless, and modern day hipsters are not emulating road-training racers. The idea of stripping the brakes off was never for "faster accelerations" - if you're training, you don't want a lighter bike when the point is gaining fitness and efficiency, and roadies don't exactly let brakeless people ride in their groups. Non-sequitur.

oldskooltrack.com

meh close enough

Been on Kauai for two weeks now, my bike finally arrived. goddamn is it a whole different ballgame riding in this heat/wind... not to mention i'm out of shape. working on turning that around though. Doubtful, but does anyone have any experience riding in Hawaii? Kauai in particular... 50 mph speed limit + little to no shoulder = stressed riding.... i'm getting used to it though.