bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Ha seeing that link makes me feel a lot better. After 3 years of biking/commuting nearly every day, and so many close calls, I got in my first car vs bike accident today. Classic, I'm passing a few cars at an intersection, in the bike lane, watching their turn signals, and at the last second, a car right in front of me signals right and turns right in the same instant. I slam into the side of the car. Ended up with nothing more than a bruised hand and a dislocated stem. Could have been so much worse. Pretty sobering. Watch your selves!

I'm in the market for a new wheelset.

I've been looking at the Mavic Ksyrium Elite vs. the Easton EC70 sl

Anyone have any words of advice on either? They both seem to be solid wheelsets with good reviews all around and weight is about the same. Price is just about equal as well. Just trying to get a good feel before I drop near $700.

Anyone have any words of advice on either? They both seem to be solid wheelsets with good reviews all around and weight is about the same. Price is just about equal as well. Just trying to get a good feel before I drop near $700.

I would avoid both and go handbuilt.

With these hubs (http://cgi.ebay.com/CIRCUS-MONKEY-ROAD-Hubs-F20Hole-R24Hole_W0QQitemZ110506024984QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCycling_Parts_Accessories?hash=item19baac2018), Kinlin/IRD rims and Sapim or DT spokes, you can build a sub-1500g wheelset for sub-$500.

Better yet, follow Sheldon Brown's wheelbuilding guide and build them yourself. You'll save dough and come out better in the long run.

did our local crit-esque ride yesterday and some of my typical hills today, and i feel sketched out in the pack and on the descents.

sucks.

i guess it's a natural feeling after a crash, but it's weird and has me kinda bummed on riding.

thoughts? comments? suggestions?

You're doing the right thing getting back into the action as soon as you can. Time is your friend here - you just gotta give it awhile before things feel natural again. Also remember that tenseness in your mind and body show up pretty fast in your bike riding in the pack, so try to relax and stay low on the caffeine if you drink it for now...

thanks.

___

looking into a retül fit

a bit pricey but i think it's worth it considering how much of myself i invest in riding and being competitive.

anyone ever have one done?

I've been reading a ton about bike fits lately, and from all the research, I can draw three conclusions:

1) It's not about propriety fitting systems (Retul, Wobblenaught, etc.), fancy tools/lasers/Motion Capture, etc. All that stuff helps but ultimately the fitter has to know what he's doing, and needs years of experience. So look first and foremost with someone with plenty of years of experience doing the type of fit you're looking for (competitive road).

2) Pick the brain of a few fitters before going with one. See what their background and beliefs are and if they mesh with what you're looking for.

3) Make sure, if they're doing a cleat fitting, that they're not "just" getting your ball over the pedal spindle. Any average joe can do that. What you want is wedges and shims if needed (and most people need wedges, myself included). They make you more efficient, more balanced on the bike and less likely to get knee problems.

Definitely good to just ask locals where to get fitted, too.

I have those Easton EC70SL wheels... I've only been using the front for about a month now. Never even touched the rear, it's just sitting there. I'll make you a better deal than $700 for the wheelset if you're interested. The front, while used, is in perfect condition.

PM me if interested.

Table Rock was quite the hard race.

I made it 60 out of 70 miles with the 1/2/3's... on the last climb, a guy in front of me crashed, I was already slightly cramped but got gapped and got into full on cramps fighting to get back on, with two teammates behind me in the exact same boat. They solo'd off the back to the finish, I turned around and went to the parking lot.

I really couldn't get the fluids in me fast enough to offset what I was sweating. During the race, I drank my two water bottles I brought, another one from the neutral feed zone at the finish line, one from the support car 10 miles later (very classy move on the driver's part actually), one when I got dropped and then 2 more, one being a protein shake, when I got back to the car. Still ended up not peeing very much afterwards for the absurd amount of fluids I put down.

Other than that, the course was really fun. We hit 53.5mph top speed in a descent, and it was had some good winding turns. There was two major climbs with the first one being the longer/mellower one and the finish line climb being shorter and steeper, though not the 15% advertised grade. Afterwards there was a raffle, bbq and tons of free shit to go around. Mike Ripley definitely puts on some really legit races...