bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

So my Surly build had been kind of pushed back, I need to get out of debt and I've been sinking a lot of money into photog equipment. I'm still looking at parts though.

Anybody know anything about the Velocity A23 rim durability wise? It's a wider rim so it's got room for a wider tire, but on smaller tire sizes it rides like a tubular (which from what I've heard is a good thing), so it sounds perfect for what I need it for.

One of the guys from All City has it on his cross bike, so I'm assuming it'll hold up to the type of riding I'd like to do on it.

Picture of bike in question....

4474337110_d0435e9e4e.jpg

Soul Vice, I'm gonna throw A23's on two different bikes. They're the same profile as Aeroheads + wider so I don't think there'll be any problems baring you don't go do some low spoke counts. I've had good luck in the past with Aeroheads. Honestly though, durability is about 75% builder-influenced and the other 25 component influenced. I find building wheels to be fairly intuitive as long as patience isn't running low, but if you don't know how to build then seek out the most experienced builder you can.

so i know a lot of you spend shit loads of money on your bikes

i need a single speed wheel set for around 100 bucks, im aware that i will get sub par quality for this price but i need to ride my bike and thats the money i have

i found these

http://www.roadbikeoutlet.com/bike-parts-and-components/fixed-gear-single-speed-bicycle-parts/tec9-dv30-deep-v-30mm-track-fixed-gear-wheelset-white-1.html

are they going to fall apart after a month?

would be nice if they lasted through summer riding 20 miles or so every few days

if anyone can give me a better bargain that would be great

thanks for any advice

Zanzabar... I don't know anything about that brand, but for $100 for a new set of wheels I can't imagine you'll get much use out of them. I'm sure you've looked already but I've seen some good deals on ebay and Craigslist that are in your price range.

For getting cheap wheels, go to a long running local bike shop, explain your situation, and ask if they have any old wheel sets laying around (long running mom and pop shops are best). likely they will have something in the backroom or basement that will work out for you and often you can get great deals this way. helps the shop help you.

also, i love riding bikes. my 21 speed steel touring bike (an old green preformance frame with stock 105, and some kevlar tires at 110psi has been tearing it up. taking it down many a mountain bike trails, mob on my cities gnarly glass and pothole filled cracked asphalt, bunny hop curbs, and basically just ride like a jackass lol. while not light ((28?lbs) with lights and a rear rack it still doesnt feel to heavy when climbing.

im starting to think i dont really need a cross bike at all. i think what im trying to get at bullit proof touring bike the best bike all around if u have decent riding ability??

oh and here is a link to a movie im about to watch. it seems to be about cycling i hope its good.

• Like 1

so i'm about to join the club and start riding bikes. might even start riding to work as i'm not very far at all and i could use the exercise.

I'm looking at :

http://www.rei.com/product/791138#

or

http://www.rei.com/product/775488#

a couple of questions for you experienced people :

what is up with people converting their bikes back into a single gear bike? that's a fixie / fixed right? what are the benefits of it, if any?

fixed riding provides a noticeably different riding experience. you're constantly moving, whereas on a geared bike, coasting is allowed. definitely a more fluid feeling than a geared bike, for me anyway... and that's something that i have been stuck on. i have a lot more fun on my fixed gear than any other bike i've ridden.

upkeep/maintenance is reduced on a fixed gear bike, as well as a single speed. the setup is fairly simple compared to a geared bike, so, essentially, less parts=less shit to break/needs to be maintained...

each style of bike has its own pros and cons, one bike may serve one purpose while a different bike tends to another...

there are a lot of resources online, google is your friend

In other news, I crashed at the velodrome two days in a row on two separate incidents. Yesterday, my foot pulled out of my Speedplay during the flying 200m (TT). I pedaled one footed for a couple seconds then slid out on my left side.

Today, I rubbed tires and my front skewer failed and my front wheel flew off. Gnarly road rash, cracked helmet and a face bruise.

i have a canary yellow voodoo wanga just like that mines a little worse for wear. but it still does the job i got it a few years back it was originally geared seeing as i baught it new but i swapped around the sprockets and got the flat black chain and hey presto :)

dont ride it any more.. i moved on to old road bikes.. i kinda always swap from different bikes, is anyone else like me? or do you like one style of bike and thats it?