bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
murdered_out_colnago_pista.jpg

Damn, classic hipster mistake - Tri Spoke is on backwards for that anti-aeroness. Valve hole should be facing drive-side.

Re: Bike Maintenance: sheldonbrown.com/ is a good free resource, and there's also some good books out there. Parktools.com also comes to mind.

If you start working on bikes, you'll have to get some specialized tools. For one, it's nice having a workstand that holds the bike up if you're dealing with gears. There's some DIY ways to make them on the cheap as well. Also, a truing stand/spoke wrench/dish stick is a good combo to have on hand for building and truing wheels. Tuning derailleurs mostly involves standard tools like phillips screwdrivers, but if you get into cutting/replacing cables, you gotta have a nice set of cable cutters on hand. And bottom brackets and headsets both require special tools - in the case of BB's, different tools for different brands or types.

attacked the front at least four seperate times in today's hilly RR... good times.

very technical descents which, riding where i live, i'm used to. hauled some ass and pushed the pace a bunch.

i'm sure i could have sat in a bit more and possibly done better but, well, i just didn't feel like it.

took fourth.

got 5 bucks and a t-shirt. lol.

approx 50mi. | 4,893 ft

Rubbish... how did POC go? My team mate said it was brutal even though he got in the break and ended up with 3rd. I wanted to race so badly but I came down with a fever and had to sit it out.

De Ronde van oeste Portlandia is this weekend... I think. No one knows for sure.

Piece of Cake RR race report...

The course was flat with a few rollers and very windy. For most of the race I was hiding in the pack focusing on doing as little work as possible, which meant missing the 10 man break that ended up sticking. I figured with a flat, windy course like that, there would be no breaks and we'd get down to a mass finish. What got the breakaway separated was successful team blocking in the main field - we were going as slow as 15mph at some points, which was annoying as hell especially being boxed in with nowhere to go. I was back in the main field, and by the last lap we had all but given up on chasing, so we rolled at a training ride clip with a few brief surges here and there - pretty boring.

The course was a circuit loop that meant a good distribution of headwind, tailwind, and brutal cross winds. Mostly cross winds, actually. The opening stretch had us cruising along at 30+mph, followed by a downhill left turn into the worst cross wind of the course. If you weren't all the way over to the right shoulder being shielded, then you were working hard as hell no matter who's wheel you're on. A decent deal of people would get dropped on that left hand corner every lap because we'd get strung out coming out of it and then people would lose the wheel in front of them and be unable to get back on.

The finish was confusing in that it involved turning off the circuit we had been racing to go sprint on a finish line we hadn't rolled by previously (which was also apart of the neutral rollout). That confused the shit out of me and previous to that turn, I went out and attacked hard to follow two other guys prematurely but then got swallowed by the pack and had to recover pretty good. On the finish we mostly rolled in with a few of us half ass sprinting and my teammate taking 2nd in the mass sprint (and 12th overall).

I need to make a few changes to my bike as it is before the next race. I was unclipping out of my Speedplays on two separate sprint workouts last week, so I swapped the old cleats out for some new ones (never had a problem with pulling out before, but it looks like the spring mechanism got damaged so that explains it) and didn't get one of the cleats dialed all the way in and was having tightness in my right leg as a result. Also, gonna finally make the jump to compact drop bars because I can't get my thumbs close enough to the Campy thumb shifters on these PRO Vibe round traditional bend drops in a heated sprint, and delayed/failed shifting in a sprint just messes the whole rhythm up. Enough with the excuses though... I've realized more and more that I don't really like flat road races (but really, road races in general), and really prefer crits/short circuits like Tabor/track/competitive group rides that last an hour tops. I'm just getting plain old bored in these 2+ hour road races...

I thought De Ronde was going to be the weekend of the Amstel Gold race? Either way, yeah they're keeping it hush hush. If I can get the info beforehand I may show up for it; trying to race the first crit of the season at Williamate University next weekend for sure though as long as it's not piss poor outside.

Yeah, sounds like a rough race. I heard the cross winds were just no fun no matter where you hid. I guess that can make for interesting racing though if people with teams who aren't in the break felt like doing any work.

Sorry to hear about the LLD issue. Get it figured out soon!! I need to get my new bike fitted badly... my knees (above the knee caps) are killing me. Is that because my seat is too low or too far back?