bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

i would first suggest taking some welding classes and get certified, while you are working on that you can do stuff like build frames for projects and shit. it wont hurt to take some metal working classes to learn about metals and shit like that. the welding certification will have taught you how to make the jigs.

after that you may be able to take on an apprenticeship for a bike builder.

• Like 2

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Just got back from our weekly Thursday nighter competitive group ride... first one of the year. Pretty much an outlaw road race on the roads because we take up the entire lane for parts of it. 26.5 miles with a 25mph avg. and a few climbs to drop some people off the back. Soooo much damn fun; attack, counter attack, over and over again. This is why I ride bikes...

phil_wood_hubset-125x85.jpg

According to a post on Bicycle Retailer:

Phil Wood, the man responsible for sealed hubs and bottom brackets, died this week on his farm in Baxter, Iowa. He was 84.

He started the Phil Wood Company in 1971 as primarily a hub maker, though he offered other components. He sold the business to Peter Enright and a group of investors in 1991.

I know Phil’s granddaughter, and through her I know that Phil was a genuinely good guy. His business was built on ethics and integrity, and the quality of his products reflected that.

• Like 1

first 4's road race today.

got to the start a bit later than i would have liked and ended up in the back for the rollout.

not a good idea considering the field of 100, roads that were crazy narrow and the center line rule being in effect.

legs were yelling at me from the get go, but i started to feel a bit more solid about half way in.

the first half hour was really rough with all the slowing and sketchy riders, eventually people settled down but would get spooked and twitchy the minute a car would pass - queue the "SLOWING"x100.

it felt impossible to move up, and every time i found myself toward the front i'd get caught behind a group who decided they were dropping back. arrgh.

i knew i had to be up toward the front on the final lap, so i started trying to make my way forward.

all the while i'm thinking to myself that it's probably not a good idea- considering the way everyone was riding - then the surge happened and i went.

i was able to catch the tail end of it and was positioning myself inside the group when the rider in front of me burnt out, and basically decided to fall back- leaving me nowhere to go with the tight pack.

once i was able to pull out it was clear that i didn't have the juice to bridge, so i just started digging.

turned the final corner with the group about 30meters ahead and just about everyone in the pack hits the deck. shit was brutal.

i roll by and about 3 dudes are actually standing, everyone else was on the ground agonizing.

all in all i learned some good lessons today

mainly: get my ass to the start earlier than everyone, that is - until i have a team to work with.

Damn, that sounds a lot like how our first RR of the year was - damn near impossibly to move up in the pack. Even with a team out there you can still get stuck inside a box and get fucked. Races with that many people on a flat course just aren't fun - there has to be some hills or something to break up the group and send some people home off the back. One of the reasons I like track so much...