What Nationality Are You : Part ?

2 blaazed

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest sneak
Originally posted by WhiteOx

Ireland, like the majority of white australians...convict stylee

the majority of white Australians came from the English, not the Irish. it was us who banished you...

sneak: 1/2 English, 1/2 Irish, born and bread in London.

Originally posted by sneak

the majority of white Australians came from the English, not the Irish. it was us who banished you...

sneak: 1/2 English, 1/2 Irish, born and bread in London.

A free boat ride to a better place ? why not ?;)

More to Ethnicity than simple genetic heritage

In the U.S., "race" or "ethnicity" is a relative thing. Virtually everybody in this country is a mixture of several different genetic heritages from all four corners of the globe. In my grandmother's youth, being Irish or Italian was nothing one bragged about--it virtually guaranteed discrimination in housing, employment and certainly in terms of marriage.

Dad's side--Two brothers immigrated from Switzerland via Germany in the middle 1800's. One relative has a rifle on display at the San Jacinto Battleground monument, from the Texas War for Independence (1836.) My great-grandfather was harrassed during WWI for being "German." He barely even spoke German.

My father's mother was the daughter of a Confederate veteran's widow and a demobilized Union soldier. He farmed in the town of Post Oak, Texas, and many of his farm hands were former slaves of his wife's deceased husband's plantation, who came with them from South Carolina to Texas.

Mother's side--Original immigration from Scotland to the Colonies was a prison sentence for adultery (ten years "transportation"). Neither the cashiered British officer husband or his newly-divorced and re-married wife survived the voyage, but the baby did, and was raised by his paternal uncle in New York. The officer had fallen in love with a fellow officer's wife, and they got caught. She was pregnant with his kid, and her husband divorced her. Both the woman and her lover were convicted of adultery, and sentenced to ten year's transportation to the Colonies.

This baby grew up and joined the Colonial militia, then later the Continental Army, and fought against the British.

His descendants settled in South Carolina, and moved to Texas sometime after the War for Indendependence from Mexico.

They fought for the Confederacy and were hard-line Democrats for generations.

My grandfather, ever the rebel, was a staunch Republican in a solidly Democratic state. He supported the cause of civil rights and social reform for black people and Latinos even in the 1940's, years before it was an established social movement. He was instrumental in getting electric power and city water supply to the black section of his small town, and led the fight to purchase a library for "Central High," the black high school, in the late 1930's. Because of the unpopularity of his views, his business suffered and he was scorned by many white folks in town, but he had the support of the blacks. Some people accused him of thinking like a Yankee, but he just told them, "Yes, I do come from up North--Oklahoma!"

Nothing is simple. Life is always exceptionally complicated. I have met several light-skinned black people with my last name whose families come from South Carolina. Probably my distant cousins, LOL. We had a good laugh about it.

Archived