Hall of Fame

Popular Content

Showing content with the highest reputation on 01/21/2024 in all sections

1. Feels like things have come full circle… I recall when Flickr presented the first real challenge to the forum… Yahoo did a pretty spectacular job dominating the internet early on and then an even more spectacular job killing off everything they touched later on including Flickr and Tumbler. Then came Facebook. I never really saw much in Facebook with its convoluted interface, but it did present the first opportunity for a massive audience and features that allowed for a little more “ownership” perhaps of profiles, online reputations and discussions. I always hated it, but I understand in hindsight especially how it was a juggernaut that we had little chance of doing much about. Incredible that other than serving as an authentication system / data mining behemoth, that all the social side of it is all but dead. Then enter Instagram… Truly the nail in the coffin to online communities everywhere, I including this one. Didn’t help that at the start of it gaining popularity, that the forum was experiencing technical issues that were far outside my ability to solve for quite a while. By this point, the powers behind those online experiences had a deep understanding of all the flaws in human behavior and how to optimize exploiting them to huge advantage. Yet here we remain. I recall about 5 or 6 or so years ago when I was working to fix all the technical issues and revive the forum how many people told me it could never happen; that forums are dead forever. It’s been an amazing journey and in part, why I’ve popped back up after another hiatus, to put together another attempt at rebuilding everything. A good many of those same people that said to give up and quit, have since come back waxing nostalgic about the forum and all but begging me to provide an alternative to social media and especially Instagram. It is indeed incredible for me to see how people invested so much time and energy in the face to build followers only to be fucked by the big platforms and their algorithms. To have their voices neutered or silenced by those algorithms and completely eroding the accomplishments of building huge follower counts. Adding insult to injury, treating most everyone like the hardly tolerated step child by shadow banning unpopular ideas and eventually shadow banning erratically because someone tripped one of their bots and then denied recourse or due process to fix the situation. Anyhow, kinda ranting here but it really is wild to me, how regularly I hear from old 12oz bloggers, as well as some of the biggest names out there - past and present - how much they miss what we had here. I believe it truly has come full circle.
    6 points
  2. Happy this thread is still alive. Kinda crazy to go back and read, since I feel like it’s become so much more relevant in the post-pandemic, nut house of a world we’ve found ourselves in since I started this thread. I’m curious… For those that read this thread and thought about making the move, what’s help you back? Are you still hoping / planning? Anything I can do to answer questions or assist (short of lending you the money you’ll need to buy a homestead)? I’ll loop back and share some updates when I’m not typing in this mini virtual keyboard that is iPhone, but wanted to pop in and drop a note.
    6 points
  3. 4 points
  4. WTF is happening on Tik Tok?
    4 points
  5. Back in 1665, the local Tailor in Eyam received some cloth from London contaminated with fleas carrying the plague. The village decided to quarantine itself and got by through people leaving goods on rocks outside the main village. The coins were placed in vinegar to kill any bacteria and you can still find the holes today. Today they make imperial stouts.
    4 points
  6. yeah, planning on rolling out product again for 2024. Kind of retarded that I haven’t considering the screen printing facility.
    3 points
  7. Shorty whipped up some basic for tonight. I usually don’t have time to take a pic I’m always STAHVIN. I’m just glad I didn’t have to do any cooking; been a loooong day.
    3 points
  8. @nicklesndimes thank you. i know it’ll happen in time. I always keep in mind some of the major major reasons I’m still there (becaue I know I have the freedom to work somewhere else) I get paid great. I walk to work in 20 min. My team is great. I have an active lawsuit with them. Anything to help build my resume.
    3 points
  9. Yall I went back to work last week after being out for 6 months. it took one day being back before I realized I really hate my job now. Thankfully I (for the most part) work with some great people. I’m about to hit my 4 year mark in March. Got hired into this startup and now under the umbrella of an MSO. our plants look like shit and the people don’t look happy AT ALL. It’s really embarrassing. someone once told me you cannot hate something unless you have lived it first. It’s also wearing me the fuck out. I’m back up to hittin 15-18 floors a day and 5-6 miles. I am hungry all the fucking time and definitely not getting the intake I thought I would need to sustaiin Work nights I’m up at round 2A to eat because my blood sugar drops. Last week bout took me out yall!
    3 points
  10. @LUGR 100% - same for the real savy Viet Banh Mi game, crusty and pillowy goddamn!! I remember I used to fuck with this Banh Mi joint in the TL - had a Giant piece across the street but I cant remember the name. I just smacked this.
    3 points
  11. Yerp. That's definitely pine. So here is my take on things. Pine is a soft wood. The heart of the pine is going to be the toughest densest part of the tree. I'd personally be scared to go at it with a drum sander. Oak floors are more forgiving. I've done one oak floor and my first pass, I slam fucked these people's shit up. I was lucky enough to be able to buff out most of my mistakes with subsequent passes. Once stained I was looking at it like 'jesus Christ' but the home owners thought it looked great. Maybe I'm my own worst critic. Either way I took that check and bounced straight to the bank.
    3 points
  12. Solid wood should be able to sand that down - solid wood floors are baller. Patching wood flooring can be a bitch but worth it. With the gaps like that it's probably easy to replace pieces but then you will probably want to refinish the other areas. One or two boards is no big deal but it looks like the wear and tear is pretty significant like you said.
    3 points
  13. @nicklesndimesHeart of pine is baller status shit. The wide banding is definitely looking pine. Grab some close up stills of the floor so we can peep that beautiful wood grain.
    3 points
  14. Caprese salad with turkey sandwich on a bagel with fresh pesto and a balsamic glaze.
    3 points
  15. The lack of penises drawn in the snow is a little disappointing .
    3 points
  16. They're basically kids desk accessories. Picture frames, pencil holders, that kinda thing.
    3 points
  17. It’s cold, so getting warm.
    3 points
  18. stolen from social media elsewhere
    3 points
  19. @Fist 666 any idea what this is and how it goes together? Some children made this. Their mother apparently believes that I'll get what this is and how it works. I have no fucking clue lol.
    3 points
  20. Is that a gum wrapper?
    3 points
  21. thats false my guy.
    2 points
  22. LMAO @mr.yucki got you life got me doing some wild shit. I moved to san diego got a new job put my first restraining order on a bitch and started a blog I suck at it right now but with time i think i'll get better http://after3decades.com say whatever you want, its ok if you think its trash, thats alright ive been through too much to care right now i'm still making clothes but i learned alot along the way there are def some snakes out there but the homies, like @misteravenwho teaches me alot homie robert at dualforces i made friends with alot of good people in the industry i also met some real assholes do not, do not, do not trust anyone who isn't verified by others first that might be obvious but damn fuck it I'm back and i apologize for the wait i believe its worth it and i have alot to show you guys in the coming months
    2 points
  23. Thanks. Still don't think I know. Guess it will be a lego weed grinder and a lego roach keeper.
    2 points
  24. @One Man Banned 555twitter.com_1705801224185.mp4
    2 points
  25. Oh shit. It's a widow maker!
    2 points
  26. @One Man Banned https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/designer-toolkit-patterns-41961
    2 points
  27. W the sock thing? Nah def not. If you swing it and he grabs the bat the sock will pull of and he will be holding a sock right before you Barry Bonds his nose. So definitely a good tip. and seee, issa big one.
    2 points
  28. Been a busy day. Daughter had a basketball game, then had to drive an hour to gymnastics, some shopping so we just stopped at Freddy’s for a late lunch.
    2 points
  29. Brunch burger. Burger, bacon, egg, Hollandaise and a tomato chutney. So fucking good. Side salad with a lemon vinaigrette.
    2 points
  30. The road wheel arms articulate to drive off the tracks and on pavement. The rear traction wheels move forward to contact the rubber road wheels
    2 points
  31. Shunting Loco is basically done.
    2 points
This Hall of Fame listing is set to New York/GMT-04:00