Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Round 1 - Fight: PC VS MAC.

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by why write?, Dec 9, 2004.

1. why write?

why write? Veteran Member

personally im feelin PC rather then mac.....i just dont like how mac's work for some reason, although i've been using both for more then 4 years now, i rather be on a pc then a mac....... ;)

2. iloveboxcars

iloveboxcars 12oz Royalty

ive never used a mac other than in school.

so i voted pc.

3. Nekro

Nekro Elite Member

Next computer I get will be a mac for real.

The reasons are endless, but basically what it comes down to is that Mac computers are designed by the same people who write the Mac OS, which means it runs crazily efficently. Windows has nothing on it.

Nekro//rollin' on HP

4. sarcasm

sarcasm Elite Member

mac > pc

but,

$pc < $mac

meh

5. ledzep

ledzep Junior Member

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeexactly ;)

6. fermentor666

fermentor666 Veteran Member

PC's are good for games, 3D graphics, "hacking", and getting viruses.

Mac's are good for Audio and 2D graphics.

This is old news.

7. Flayed God X

Flayed God X Member

Macs are like sports cars, pc's are like cars you can fix up to be the same or better for a cheaper price

8. Dick Quickwood

Dick Quickwood 12oz Loyalist

9. Brewster Baker

Brewster Baker 12oz Loyalist

pc but I'd get a mac if it were cheap

10. Kr430n5_666

Kr430n5_666 Banned

11. Herbivore

Herbivore Senior Member

i've heard Macs were very reliable, but haven't had a chance to use them all that much. i have been using PCs since the DOS days, so i'm comfortable with them. and if you know what you're doing you can avoid a lot of problems.

12. SteveAustin

SteveAustin Veteran Member

Mac.

I work on both and have more day to day problems with my pc.

Eventually they'll become virtually the same.

13. misteraven

misteraven Administrator

windows/pc's aren't even in the same league as the osx/mac anymore, and won't be catching up anytime soon considering the next major windows release (longhorn) has been pushed back (yet another time) to late 2006/early 2007 (and expected to be pushed back again), and has been stripped of the major feature it had been touting - advanced search capabilities. it still remains a bloated, buggy, insecure os run on a hodge-podge of off the shelf parts, the core of which is a processor that has just about hit the ceiling in terms of scaling (intel), with no real roadmap for 64bit computing on the desktop. amd remains the little company that 'never was', since they've always been second string to intel and remain in the shadows of the partnership between microsoft and intel, even now when the partnership seems to be deterriorating.

contrast that to an os that the core of which has been slowly refined since the 1960's, is open-sourced, and is elegantly packaged with an award winning GUI that has been repeatedly copied (albeit poorly) by microsoft for the last decade or so. consider the user experience, additional award winning software packaged with it... iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie, etc... and services/protocols... rendevous, IEEE 1394a, IEEE 1394b, etc... pioneered and released by apple and windows just can't hang. then consider not having to fuck with archaic dll's or the fact that it's far more secure and virtually virus immune and there's little hardly a reason to look at windows.

mac os x has already made it's move to 64bit computing with the release of the G5 and OSX 10.3. The first half off 2005 will see OSX 10.4 and far more of the Mac OS written to take advantage of 64bit processing, and of course... with a major focus on it's new advanced search capabilities. Then you have IBM (who makes the processor for mac's) announcing they've sold off their desktop business to concentrate on processors and high-end computing. You also have them releasing benchmarks for their newest processors (the Power 5... which a multi-cored version of is projected to be in a forthcoming G5/G6) that has recebtly broken moore's law for the first time in coimputing history, and has improved processing power, reduced costs and power requirements to a degree that all the other processor manufactures are left wondering what just happened. Incidently, this same processor powers 'blue gene' which is the most powerful supercomputer in the world at the moment despite being only half completed (it's been estimated that it'll probably hold that spot for at least the next 3 years).

lastly you have apple's hardware... which has won just about every industrial design award in the book whether it's their desktops, laptops, displays, or peripherals (mp3 player). and continues to blow minds and win more awards as it redefines itself with each new release.

yeah mac's cost more. everything good does, and at the end of the day - you get what you pay for. to say you can build one just as good for far less is like saying you can build a porsche with spare parts and also have be as good. perhaps you can make it as fast, but it'll never drive the same. sorry.

14. SteveAustin

SteveAustin Veteran Member

^ awesome.

I knew Raven would come in and drop some knowledge.

I wasn't aware of most of that.

15. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

there's a common addage in the turbo car world.

if it's cheap and fast, it's not reliable.
    if it's reliable and cheap, it's not fast.
    if it's reliable and fast, it's not cheap.

yes, mac's cost a bit more, but you'll have about 1000% less aggravation over the course of the computers life. plus, the price thing is becoming much less of an issue. the new ibooks (1.3ghz, 60gig hd, dvd-r, wifi, 256k ram) are $1399. i paid $1799 3 years ago for the top end ibook, which was half as fast). for the amount of power and reliability you get, $1400 is absolutely nothing, and as far as i've seen, cant be had in a pc.

one thing i've noticed that's funny though, is if you have some ill ass top of the line macked out mac, people will jock. if you have some top of line super pc, motherfuckers will think you're an uber nerd.