Round 1 - Fight: PC VS MAC.

why write?

yes... that's much more detail.

Apple was the company and Mac was the product.

Apple computers existed before the mac even though

it seems like now the 'mac' thing is the brand.

It's like Nestle that used to make 'Quick' but now it's just known as 'nesquick'.

*edit: http://www.apple-history.com has a good breakdown of when products were launched.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

woz.logo.jpeg

gswoz.jpg

some say this computer was the last real 'apple'.

The mac GUI was what changed everything.

You get some people who say Bill Gates stole the

idea for windows from the mac but the truth is that

he stole it from xerox (and has been well documented)

[nerdblock]

i gotta go with the PC. i started off with the apple iic way back in the day. don't get me wrong Apple comes out with good quality shit, but Apple screwed themselves back when Windows first came out. Apple wouldn't accept this program, because they had their own. So a lot of shit wasn't compatible with Macintosh. also it's easy for me to choose PC's (formerly called IBM Compatibles) because it offers a wider range since that means any other computer from any company, Toshiba, Sony, IBM, DELL, Compaq, etc... whereas Macs are just from one company.

[/nerd block]

Originally posted by seeking@Dec 10 2004, 02:52 PM

one of my favorite parts about the apple story, and this might be wrong i guess, was jobs getting a huge loan from bill gates inorder to save apple from bankruptcy. i dont know why, but it makes me laugh.

anyway, your story brings up a (probably) dumb question; what is macintosh and what is apple? what's the difference? ive always blindly used them interchangably, but i suppose thats probably not right? is apple the company, and mac the product?

im feeling dumb today. too much carmel corn.

ha.

it wasn't exactly a loan per say. microsoft bought a significant amount of stock off apple at a time when it wasn't worth shit. at the time apple was creeping towards bankruptcy and the open sourced movement was barely a blip on the radar. microsoft was getting blasted for it's monopolistic business practices. had apple gone under, it would really hurt microsofts arguement against being a monopoly. helping apple kind of killed three birds with one stone since it kept them from going under (for at least a little while longer), fueled their defense in that they werent unfairly findering competition, and protecting the profit they were making off microsft word/office for mac which was significant considering the funding that division receives. in addition to buying stock, they also guaranteed further development of office for mac for another 5 years in exchange for apple making ie the default browser on all macs.

macinstosh was introduced in 1984 (during the hugely famnous superbowl halftime commercial directed by ridley scott). until then apple was releasing computers called apple's that started with the apple I (which was mainly a hobby kit consiting of a computer with no case and instructions/diagrams). apple came into their own with the apple ][ which was until the iMac, among the most successful computers in history, particularly the apple ][c. the apple /// was a flop and led to several more revisions of the still successful apple ][ (apple ][e). about this time, jobs and company had taken a trip to xerox parc and saw a GUI for the first time. jobs fell in love with the possibilities of a graphical interface and xerox never saw the potential in it (it was simply a proof of concept). apple was able to engineer a windowing system and intuitive icon based representations for the various functions and tools of the operating system. xerox caught on too late to the potential of a GUI and by the time they tried to introduce a computer running one, it was already synonymous with apple computers. bill gates later made a deal with jobs to license the concept, which jobs supposedly agreed to in exchange for continued office developement (word and excel were becoming the killer apps that justified the purchase of the apple by consumers), but failed to understand the language of the agreement which allowed microsoft to continue releasing versions of windows beyond the original version so long as the name 'windows' appeared in the name.

that said, apple is the company, but macintosh is the product (or some of it anyways).

Originally posted by Carl Winslow.@Dec 10 2004, 03:07 PM

[nerdblock]

i gotta go with the PC. i started off with the apple iic way back in the day. don't get me wrong Apple comes out with good quality shit, but Apple screwed themselves back when Windows first came out. Apple wouldn't accept this program, because they had their own. So a lot of shit wasn't compatible with Macintosh. also it's easy for me to choose PC's (formerly called IBM Compatibles) because it offers a wider range since that means any other computer from any company, Toshiba, Sony, IBM, DELL, Compaq, etc... whereas Macs are just from one company.

[/nerd block]

it's not that they wouldn't accept it, they just already had hardware as well as an os. hardware compatability really isnt issue anymore, it's mostly a matter of getting the drivers ported over. not sure how it matters having a choice of buying hardware from more than one company unless quality and seamless integration of the hardware/os isn't what your basing your decision on.

also compaq barely qualifies as a pc compatable considering how proprietary much of their hardware is. i used to have a couple proliant servers and always had to scour the net for custom drivers and workarounds. not to mention, they don't really exist after being absorbed by hp. ibm no longer makes desktops. toshiba's straight suck, and sony often costs as much as apple since they try so hard to be the 'apple' of the pc world, by designing stylish looking machines with a slant towards multimedia.

Originally posted by <KEY3>@Dec 10 2004, 03:11 PM

yeah... when we used to go shopping for software the entire mac section was smaller than the accounting section for PC's (clones... hahaha)

no doubt that there's more titles offered for windows (as pc could also include *nix which barely has any commercial apps). regardless, i'm unaware of a 'killer' app not ported to the mac os. for the most part, all the main apps are ported over and often are more stable, and more feature packed than the pc windows counterparts (often because mac's trounce pc's in floating point operations). if someone needs some obscure accounting app, or mainly interested in playing video games, then the mac isn't the proper tool for the job.

If you stay with a good pc, and take care of it, then you should be cool. I havn't had my PC crash in about 6 months, due to just picking up an antivirus. Back a few years ago my PC would get jacked up but thats because I was downloading all kinds of 'progs' and starting beef with kids so they would try to oen my box.

you know wht really sucked?

being the ONLY kid in my grade with a MAC

when everyone else had clones like the Tandy 386

and they could trade games but I couldnt. Seriously....

it was rough. Like being the kid with the betamax machine

after all the stores stopped renting betamax tapes.

and btw, betmax and apple are Very similar.

Beta was a far superior tape format than vhs

but only sony could make a beta player. That ended

up being their demise and luckily apple swung the other way.

my first computer was also a vic 20. considering it had no hard rive or internal storage you could write files to, you'd spend hours programing shit in basic that would get lost anytime you shut the thing off. after writing hundreds of lines of code to make my name blink in different colors on the tv it was hooked up to abd later losing it, i finally spent another couple hundred dollars on a tape drive. the tape drive actually used regular audio cassettes to store data on. i also had a grip of games since they were on clearence after the commodore 64 dropped.

I've had more problems with iMacs in labs than with any cheap ass Dell, but lets compare top of the line products, since the Dual G4s there were stable as hell.

Every dual processor PC system I've built has been incredibly stable. I'm talking 3+ month uptimes while doing heavy 3d rendering work, websurfing, and all manner of ill shit on a daily basis. This was while running "buggy" OSes like Win2k Pro & NT 4.0 workstation.

The problem is that PC manufacturers, unlike apple, could give a fuck less about custom picking components that are actually compatible with other components in the system. Did dell ever care, for example, that creative has horrible drivers that manage to cause BSODs when using their SBLives on dual proc systems, or on normal ones for that matter? No. They're about selling shit as cheap as possible to get everybody to buy one.

I could easily pick out some components for a fast as hell dual athlon and give it to you in two configurations. One would crash on a daily basis, the other would stay up forever. It's all about knowing the hardware, and caring. With Apple you're paying for that compatibility. By narrowing their base hardware options, they've increased stability greatly, but that can still go wrong sometimes.

im glad someone made this thread ive been wondering this i always get mixed reviews when i ask people which kind to buy.. im going to buy a laptop and this helps to sway my decision. i have a sony vaio and my shit has more virus's than a broad street hooker i have norton anti virus and know very little about computers so i drop it off at best buy and 40dollars later i have a computer that works good for about a week i swear they plant things so i keep coming back haha but i only have myself to blame...