Things That Didn’t Exist 20 Years Ago - 2024 Edition

Maybe this will be fun or maybe it’ll just be depressing. Either way, pretty sure this is a new theme for a topic. Impressive considering we’ve been discussing, debating and shit posting on here since 1999. 

I’ve said more than a few times that the world feels more and more out of control and surreal these days. Maybe it’s because of how the pace of change seems to be accelerating at an exponential rate. Generally we call this progress, but is it really? Here’s a list of very prominent bits of everyday life that did not exist 20 years ago.

What else didn’t exist 20 years ago?

What existed as a part of everyday life 20 years ago, but does not exist today?

Is it progress?

Post photos and discuss…

IMG_3622.jpeg

IMG_3623.jpeg

IMG_3624.jpeg

IMG_3625.jpeg

IMG_3626.jpeg

IMG_3627.jpeg

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
10 minutes ago, ndv said:

Screenshot_20240316_211406.jpg

Screenshot_20240316_211541.jpg

True but not quite every day life, common stuff. 

Here’s something that was everyday shit 20 years ago but no longer exists. In fact, if I handed my kids a VHS tape, I’m not sure they’d know what it was. 

IMG_3628.webp

IMG_3629.webp

IMG_3630.jpeg

IMG_3631.jpeg

• Like 4

13 hours ago, DETO said:

I could have sworn I was using Netflix by mail and YouTube in 2004…

Self Checkout

Air fryer

instapot

Uber

4K TV’s

Digital wallets and apps such as Venmo. 
camera phone? 

I remember uploading vids to Youtube and using Netflix DVD in 2006 and pretty sure they had both just started at that time.

Okay, I have a good one… Not sure what image I can use, but how about “micro transactions”. Especially subscription based micro transactions. Seems like it began with apps and now car companies are exploring micro transaction subscriptions to unlock features like seat warmers or additional speed in vehicles. It’s obvious that if people go along with this, you’ll see home appliances adopt this next in terms of feature sets. 

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/features/bmw-features-subscription

https://www.foxnews.com/tech/automakers-bmw-gm-mercedes-charge-monthly-fees-faster-speeds-heated-seats

Example, most laser / ink jet printers are relatively the same across models, in terms of guts. They actually use software to hold back features and performance in lesser models because it’s cheaper to R&D and manufacture one basic chip / feature set and then throttle it back. Can’t find a link quickly but read a bunch about this a few years back. 

Anyhow, the dawn of crypto going mainstream and allowing for ultra low transaction fees and fractionalizing out to far more decimal points than dollars (x.xx) will absolutely lead us into an era where virtually everything will be based upon micro transaction and incremental subscription models. 

Similar is how in South Florida (at least) charges tolls based upon traffic levels. Peak hours are charged at a premium and off hours are substantially cheaper. As a public road, I’m very much against this and though I ultimately am a believer in free market capitalism, this feels a bit dystopian in that it really separates the “haves” from the “have nots” in an entirely new way.

I can visualize how tools will be more specificity tailored in the future. Guaranteed it’ll be adjusted for vehicle type and cost, mileage driven, passengers and probably nuanced to the point that cost won’t be premium only for time of day, but might get into what areas you’re driving in. A nicer road in a better part of town will naturally demand a premium compared to driving through the hood.

Guaranteed of the path we’re on is allows to continue that we’ll see peoples behaviors more directly controlled and engineered in the real world as we see further development of micro transactions and subscription models invade every aspect of daily like. Already happening professionally (Pantone charging its own fee to use it within Adobe, which is already a “software as service subscription suite”). We’re seeing the beginnings of it now being woven into personal life. 

New stuff:

Micro transactions and subscriptions for everything does my head in.

Adobe fucks me off - I have a perfectly good CS6 package from adobe that I bought for $2,000  in 2013. Didn't even use the second licence it came with.

Buy new laptop and I cannot make it work so here I am paying $x00 per year  for a program that I own a physical copy of but can't make work.

The pantone thing is ridiculous. 

Melbourne bringing in different parking fee rates for SUV's/Utes.

and this is weird:

American grown fruit on supermarket shelves so we can have everything regardless of season. how can it be economical to buy citrus from cali and ship it across the pacific.

8 hours ago, misteraven said:

now car companies are exploring micro transaction subscriptions to unlock features like seat warmers or additional speed in vehicles.

ScreenShot2024-03-18at1_04_17pm.png.45d00df2401287103a0f268252854f13.png

The proud owner of a new BYD Seal has had his air conditioning turned off by the car itself this morning after allegedly insulting the car in front of a friend.

It’s hot in Betoota right now. The tail end of Cyclone Kirily is soaking the interior and it’s currently 38 at the Old City Observatory with a relative humidity of 90%. The dew point is 29.

For people like Brett Chud, a well-build young man with strong thighs and a thorax as thick as a Swiss ball, it’s hell.

Brett and his mate, Milo Overell, we’re coming back from comp around 9 this morning when young Milo, nephew to The Advocate’s editor Clancy Overell, asked what ‘BYD’ stood for.

“Build Your Dreams,” said Brett.

“I know, I know. It’s very Mainland [Chinese] isn’t it?”

Milo nodded.

“This is an electric vehicle, right?” he said.

“I thought it might’ve stood for ‘Big Yummy Dick’ or something like that.”

Brett laughed then all of a sudden, the air conditioning turned off.

He also thought that was funny – but also frustrating because the car had just a couple thousand kilometres on the clock. He tried to turn the air conditioning back on and an error message came up on the screen.

“It says ‘Feature Locked’ here on the dash,” said Brett.

“Now it says ‘Feature Unlocked at 800 Social Credits’. I think the car heard what you were saying.”

Milo laughed.

“What? This fucking Guangzhou Go-Kart is listening to us? This piece of shit doesn’t even have Bluetooth.”

As Milo said that, the power steering stopped working and the airbag light came on.

“Stop it!” yelled Brett.

“Fuck me! I can hardly steer the cunt! No airbags, either. Fuck me! Jesus Christ, what a pig of a thing this is without power steering!”

The car beeped at him again.

“Oh Christ!, I’m sorry!”

The windscreen popped off and sailed over the car. It smashed behind them on the bonnet of a Proton Jumbuck.

“Windscreen unlocked at 400!” the car flashed.

• Like 1
  • LOL! 2

Banana republic has been slow in the making, but has certainly accelerated with each election cycle. Wondering which will be the first state to just opt out and do their own thing. Seems like it would be Texas, but I think California and Colorado could also be contenders. But yeah, the clown show in politics as a whole wasn’t quite as overt 20+ years ago. 

• Truth 1

14 hours ago, misteraven said:

Banana republic has been slow in the making, but has certainly accelerated with each election cycle. Wondering which will be the first state to just opt out and do their own thing. Seems like it would be Texas, but I think California and Colorado could also be contenders. But yeah, the clown show in politics as a whole wasn’t quite as overt 20+ years ago. 

The illusion of that "option"  being a reality was already canceled by the civil war. Did you know that they literally teach kids down here that Texas reserved the right to seceed when it became a state? They tell them this shit in "Texas History" class. Do you have any idea how many US military bases there are down here in just my city alone? If the US government were to actually play along and pull out of Texas, leaving them with only the State Troopers and local police to secure the border, Texas would be overran and taken back by Mexico within a month tops. 😆

• Truth 2
  • LOL! 1

11 hours ago, DRUNKEN-ASSHOLE-ONER said:

The illusion of that "option"  being a reality was already canceled by the civil war. Did you know that they literally teach kids down here that Texas reserved the right to seceed when it became a state? They tell them this shit in "Texas History" class. Do you have any idea how many US military bases there are down here in just my city alone? If the US government were to actually play along and pull out of Texas, leaving them with only the State Troopers and local police to secure the border, Texas would be overran and taken back by Mexico within a month tops. 😆

Ain’t nobody’s pull out game that strong.

• LOL! 1

He was our collective hope for the future. Skating….graffiti……..I saw him land his first kickflip and argue why his throwups needed 3 color fills……then high school wrestling took over and he made his parents proud.

😭😢😭😢

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SMdoubleXL said:

Water bottles. 

*I know they existed but not common at all 

100% or at least they werent a status symbol amongst the sillier in the community.

(says the guy drinking out of the big Frank green water bottle as we speak- at least it was work swag)