Mosquitoes & Flies

SukiSukiNow

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
2 hours ago, SukiSukiNow said:

This summer the fucking mosquitos and flies have been out of control. I’ve tried pet friendly sprays all over the yard, fly traps that smell like sewer vomit, citronella, but nothing is helping. 
Any suggestions? No smart ass recommendations please and thank you.

I use rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle for all insects. Works very well on cockroaches. Flies need a decent drenching. Never tried it on mosquitos but imagine it would mess them up. Have only really used it indoors. I don’t really fuck with insects outside. I typically cover up when mosquitos are out in full force outside.

2 hours ago, mr.yuck said:

Do you have dragon flies on the other coast? We have a gozillion this year and they been eating the shit out of the mosquitoes to the point where I haven't noticed them all summer. Find a way to get the dragon flies. 

I once hired this guy to catch gophers. He was pretty unusual. He drove around with a falcon in his front seat that he would use to catch other troublemakers. He told me parts of the year he would take the falcon up to other areas to chase birds out of airports.

Anyways, I was complaining about mosquitoes while we were checking out the gopher holes and he told me he could solve that problem too. He said he could launch water balloons full of larvae of this certain type of fish that eats mosquito larvae into this stagnant small pond a couple hundred yards away in the tall grass. I had him just catch the gophers.

So, you could try something like that if you want.

• Props 1

Went through it with the mosquitoes and flies earlier this summer.  You reach down to slap your leg and you're hitting 4 at a time.  Arms and legs covered in swatted mosquitoes and my own blood splattered out of them.  Seems like you're trying to be environmentally friendly or at least dog friendly.  Best thing was to put on pants/sleeves/hat to go out.  They also seemed to appear in groups, so if I sat there and swatted a bunch the area would be clear for a bit.  They also don't like smoke so spark the spliff before you head out and keep a cloud about you if you can.  If all else fails try fire followed by more fire.

image.thumb.png.8cb2fec0ead1e6a85ca4df638388f83d.png

• Truth 2

10 minutes ago, fat ralphy said:

Fuck man - beat me to it.

So rad.

My friend has one. He said it wasn’t any good the other day. I have never seen it in action. He always has flies in his houseZ. I usually use the battery powered tennis racket zapper over there.

• Like 1

^ OMB has it right. 
the zappers also. 

Things I’ve learned bout mosquitoes 

taking niacin (supplement) will help guard your body systemically to repel mosquitoes But it gives you that flush feeling

dried, crushed marigolds made into a spray is a very natural spray repellent for your body. 

also this was originally formulated to be a repellent and some still swear by it as an applied repellent 

IMG_2914.thumb.jpeg.7fee8c3ff394c510440dcb33ce808ee5.jpeg

but a super valuable action I’ve learned this summer is once I know I’ve been bit by a mosquito (or anything or rubbed across some plant that irritated me) is to immediately dilute. 
Wet a bandana, napkin, corner of my shirt-or even a few good handfuls of water and rub the fuck out of the bite to remove any possible irritants that we continue to run into our skin by itching. Any time I do this I’m never home later on trying to calm those bites.  Also your skin is oily so it will really spread toxins. Dilute dilute dilute. 

as far as flies go-sticky traps/pads/strips! 
just be careful of placement so you don’t get something beneficial stuck in it. Have found vinegar helpful  in releasing from the stick. 

I’ve heard rubbing a bar of Irish spring along your doorway will help repel also. 

keep properties of menthol, peppermint, eucalyptus, pine in your cleaning supplies, candles, oils,  etc….. 

I tend to ramble on and get a lil off topic but I hope some of this helps   

• Like 4
  • Truth 1
  • Props 1

On 9/7/2023 at 9:42 AM, mr.yuck said:

Help spread the invasive bugs to all corners of the earth 😂

The job site I have been posted at has some DPIRD chicks driving around cumming all over the trees with some Ghostbusters backpack type sludge to stop the spread of some Indian Fruit fly that was no doubt bought over by some Auntie illegally bringing food over that got by Customs.

Mosquitoes haven't been a problem here yet, but I may move away from rivers come the warmer weather to prevent MO here having to Quit.

• Like 1
  • Truth 1