What did school do for you?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went back and finished all the way to a 4 year degree. So far nothing, but I also have not tried to do anything with it, because I have a job and have not looked for another one, since I will be in this one for a while.

The main reason I decided to do it, is because every stat about getting a job indicates that the more education you have, the better job you have. I am sure that there are exceptions and people who would say otherwise, but I would rather trust the numbers of those stats. When I look for a job, i want to make myself as marketable as possible.

I went to a college for 6 months, the whole time I fucking hated it. I never worked a day in that field and never plan to.

I started a business instead of becoming an employee, I love my "job" and I write my own rules. This has been my ultimate freedom maker, I work hard now and I plan on enjoying my life in the near future by doing and going where ever I like.

i want to go back, or start over rather. im considering a major in journalism but i know the reality of landing a decent job with said degree.

ive thought about just going back for personal growth and see where that takes me.

help me out.

what'd you go for? would you do it again?

discuss

one of my good friends is a journalism major. she's talented, attractive and will graduate with another major and a minor this year. she works her ass off ... and is having a difficult time finding a job.

If you're gonna go journalism you better be 'bout that life.

I think the journalism profession changed with the internet and how people source their information nowadays. Not to discredit writers or journalists at all but I would think there is a lot less glory in it. If it was me and that was my love/passion I would write books or papers to get published. That way in the future people would search my name for my work and not just topics in general with the off chance of reading my work.

I will leave what I do for work a bit vague, I own a company that buys products from manufacturers, I then market and sell them to specific people and groups. It's very interesting and always changing.

i learned how to properly throw a house party.

and pick up chicks.

H.S. Diploma oner

Could not agree more.

Left school with a: Drug problem/alcohol problem/less respect for women/hella debt/Worthless Diploma

I was just too young...period.

However, it was the most fun I've ever had. Would do again...just much more cautiously.

Going to school for personal growth alone seems like perhaps the wrong route for both pursuits.

I think you should travel the globe for personal growth, come back and get a major in statistics.

Becoming a master with data will help you with your journalistic trip as well.

To answer you question directly, school gave me a place to go while the economy has been in the dumps, the program I went to was absolutely fucking worthless but it helps to have a degree to go along with my professional experience. May have helped me get the job I have now which is killer.

I left a well-paying but kinda boring career to go back to school. Just about to start 2nd year of a 3 year design degree.

My advice (I wish i'd been given), be prepared to make HUGE sacrifices of the lifestyle kind. Also, being a student is hard!

I thought it was going to be sooooooo easy! But its not. The work is hard.

My old job - great people, great benefits, great product but I could have done it in my sleep. Which I often did. I miss my salary but I know I've made the right decision.

End goal: to run my own successful business.

Good luck to you.

School taught me to get a job.

This. I cant think of a single american writer who ever went to college to become a writer. If thats what you want to be, you just have to fucking do it. Especially nowadays. If you're going to go to college it better be for something like biotech or something you actually need school facilities to learn something in a field that's actually hiring.

Same goes for art school. There is NO reason to go to art school. NONE WHATSOEVER, and yet there's like 3 times more art school grads than scientists.

• Like 1

While most higher education institutions put a big importance on getting a degree, some newer progressive colleges put a greater emphasis on developing intelligent and critical thinking, which will be a much more versatile skill that can apply to most aspects of life.

It's too bad so many people become jaded by their often lackluster high school experience, because it was only when I went to the alternative high school i realized I loved learning, and college has made me realize that even more, and pushed me and challenged to go further in my academics

• Like 1

It teaches you different ways of thinking (critical analysis), commitment, work ethic and a lot of life skills, you dont realise this until you interact with others who struggle with a lot of tasks that you think are basic. It doesnt however, guarentee a good income.

A degree to a resume is the equivilent to highlights on a peice, its helps a lot but isnt essential.

graduated HS at 16, went to college

spent 1.5 years partying and dropped the fuck out

spent a few years getting drunk, painting and working as a cook/chef/baker

i realized that life was not one to live forever

back to school around age 21, for Biochemistry & Molecular Biology

did really fucking well for awhile, then some steam went out of me from working full-time, going to school full-time and trying to still get drunk, high, and write on shit

i did manage to get through with a not-so-great GPA, which is my only regret

not much more effort would have put me i a better position

that said, i'm doing well now. i don't rake in money because i do academic research (so my work is benevolent, and not for profit, i also don't have to answer to a corporation, a customer, or worry about selling shit)

i manage a lab, i've got over 20 publications in very prestigious scientific journals, and i could get a job doing a great many things.

i'm considering going back to school to get a Master's so if I want to move overseas it's even easier (already looking totally possible)

college was one of the best things i ever did, but it took sacrifice

don't bother if you're not going to commit to it.

it will teach you about jumping through hoops and dealing with bullshit (anyone who has dealt with College Administration knows) and i've sometimes thought a degree (in anything) is proof you could go throgh the motions of being an adult.. that's why just having one used to be worth so much. but now, they practically give degrees out in things like Mass Com.

of course like most people, i also learned a lot about myself and others.

if you end up going, choose your major wisely.

do something you will definitely enjoy, but don't do it if it won't get you a decent sense of job security. .. wiht the advent of the web, journalism might be a very tough field soon.

my thoughts on school are this. it's a lot of fun and work you pay for.

it's necessary for some and not for others depending on yer person.

do it right the first time. or else...you end up like me. caught between

the most ridiculous vortex of bullshit ever. unable to acquire my transcript

from skyrocketing interest rates on past due private loan payments and inevitably

unable to re-enter another school to finish about a semester and a half.

ruined credit for eternity. blah blah blah blah. essentially. no. it did nothing

for me personally but create problems. however. i don't regret it. and i'm doing

something for work i love and might not have ended up doing. so theres that.

also. i would return and finish so i could travel over seas teaching english.

but it's not happening. cryaboutit.jpeg