What did school do for you?

I wish I had done better at school, high school was a breeze so didnt do any work/revision and walked out with average grades, went to college fucked around dropped out and started working.

I think before anyone goes to univeristy to study they should take some time in the real world and work, my brother did that then went back to do a degree and he was so much more focussed because he knew how shitty the 9-5 can be.

I would love to go study again and get a degree, but no chance of that, cannot afford it and have a family to support so shitty jobs for life for me. My parents never pushed me enough, I sure as hell wont let me son slack off like I did.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

one of my good friends is a journalism major. she's talented, attractive and will graduate with another major and a minor this year. she works her ass off ... and is having a difficult time finding a job.

If you're gonna go journalism you better be 'bout that life.

My friend is a print editor for a huge Sunday newspaper here, she's been a journalist for a very long time and she's looking to get out of it. Print is dying, SUPER stressful, very long hours and a bit of an old boys club(on fleet st at least). A good percentage of the people who work in the newsroom now have no real experience and got their jobs on the back of having popular blogs.

I look forward to seeing MERO in the NY Times online, shortly.

Oh and I learned grown men who call their parents 'mummy' and 'daddy' are generally shitty in bed...unless they're on the rowing team.

Going to school gave me a chance to really discover all of my

intellectual capabilities. In hs, I really never really cared about

anything other than the usual sex, weed, et al... but going to college

really opened my eyes to what I have in my arsenal. I am primed for success

I wish I could do it all like some of the previous posts have said. However I am

much more laid back and not an intellectual snob, I learned in college that

stressing over what you are going to do wont really help in the long run.

I am taking my time, focusing on what makes me happy, not so much the money.

Eventually, I will focus more on the money as I grow old, but for now I have dropped out of

college. I learn what I want on my own. much more rewarding I say.

Wow, this thread is really making people post things worth reading.

Me like.

Anyways, I like what Decy said about working in the real world before going to college. I couldn't agree more. I enrolled in college when I was 21 after working laborious jobs since high school. It definitely gave me some work ethic that you won't necessarily find in a college atmosphere.

I don't like the fact that the social norm is to go to college right after high school, like Decy said, spending some time in the real world gives you a better perspective on why college can be an important part of life.

Bottom line is, Do what you love.

If you're happy workin a regular job and gettin a steady paycheck. Good!

If you want to see what else you can do. Good!

Life is too short to spend years at a job you aren't satisfied with

and never getting an answer to what you might have been able to do.

• Like 1

i went to a commercial diving school 5 years ago and ive been diving ever since. i worked in the gulf, now i work for myself plus a few other people and i love my job. school was nothing to be taken lightly either. lots of dive physics and medical shit you gotta learn real quick. it was expensive but also one of my favorite experiences, i'd do it again. i liked to play with legos, swim and built tree forts in the woods when i was a kid and i can honestly relate lot of skills i learned as a kid to my career now. id recommend diving to anyone that likes building shit, ya mean?

cool, alot of constructive feed back.

high school was a constant struggle, not so much the work as attending. so i left with my g.e.d. and am now lingering in my blue collar funk with 21 credit hours.

im notorious for starting things, becoming totally uninspired and walking away from it completely. maybe its my squirrel like attention span, which is a genuine concern considering how its affected my schooling so far.

im all about it right now. its the all too familiar, 6 months down the road, " i dont need this" epiphany that has me hesitant. seeing as how this isnt something you really just wing, otherwise i would just do it.

If attendance was a problem in high school, think very carefully before you pay in advance for classes that are in no way mandatory.

Also think carefully if that blue collar funk is really how you want to spend the rest of your life...I'm assuming you're a younger dude, I would recommend going back before you get too old. That way you can still get some of the social experience from it, which I think is an equally important aspect of college. Even if it's just community college classes or something you can always meet people. Girls and such. You'll also benefit longer from doing it sooner.

Anyways, don't get too caught up in the normal image of college. They come in all forms, I'd check out some progressive and low residency colleges.

One I'm looking at right now is Goddard College, it's based out of Vermont, but you only spend one week a semester there.

http://chronicle.com/article/Goddard-Colleges/128876/

For your degree, you basically set all the rules.

You decide what you study, who you read etc.

That's not to say it's easy, because you'll be corresponding with legit professors a lot.

And they'll challenge you

And that all sounds appealing to me, because I hated in normal HS that I wasn't given the choice to read what I wanted to read, and wasn't given an freedom on how I did assignments.

But I could see how it'd be a struggle not having some structure as far as steady classes and an actual teacher in front of me to talk to.

Blah blah blah, i'm rambing

And still weighing my choices

PS. I've been really fascinated in education theory, more specifically, people like John Dewey, A.S. Neill, Jon Kozol

I got my degree in art (painting/printmaking), graduated summa-cum laude and it has not done shit for my career as of now. I pay somewhere around $320 a month in loan payments and I still owe close to 30k in student loans. If you want my honest opinion, I would suggest getting a degree in something useful. If I had to do it all over, I would of gone the computer science route or something tech focused.

^whatever you are good at.

i can tutor and teach pretty much anyone anything i know. that's prolly what they mean. that's a skill so good that it doesn't really matter if you're an expert in what you're teaching.

I look forward to seeing MERO in the NY Times online, shortly.

i have to ask, are you joking.

or is this fo real?

/no sarcasm, he is that funny

^whatever you are good at.

i can tutor and teach pretty much anyone anything i know. that's prolly what they mean. that's a skill so good that it doesn't really matter if you're an expert in what you're teaching.

i have to ask, are you joking.

or is this fo real?

/no sarcasm, he is that funny

It was kind of a joke but I see no reason why he couldn't do that. You should read some of the stuff the 'kids' write for the online section, especially before it's been through an editor...and yes a lot of them did get their jobs off the back of having a popular blog and zero experience.

Unless you thought I was privileged to some sort of information, in which case I'm not and have no idea if MERO will be writing for them or anyone. I'd LOVE to see that happen though, he is that funny.

i graduated highschool and that was enough for me. i now, and always have made more money than any of my other friends at my jobs because it's a matter of making yourself more valuable than the people you work with. not many people i know can really accomplish that, and said people are just going to school to go through the motions of a typical "life." once they get out and need to find jobs, i'd be surprised if any of them did considering their lazy work ethics outside of school. seems like most of my friends end up dropping out of school anyway and just work shit jobs. maybe they are all just idiots i keep around to remind me of what i don't want to be