Travel Log - Hunting, Hitchhiking, Painting & Getting Dirty: Traveling Across America

Keepitrail

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
This is a trailer that my good friend of many years just finished editing. He is like a ninja camouflage Kubrick, who will come with everyone to the sickest fucking landmark spot and instead of painting, he'll film everyone else. A true selfless bastard that will go balls out, hanging his ass over a freeway heaven spot so he can get a good flick of your piece. Then go out the next night and do a crazier spot than you, and film it himself, just to rub it in your titties.

^^ Watch this video - if you have youtube stuff comment on it. It's got all of me and my homies in it being goofballs. Share it. Make us do more stupid shit and film it.

Liked, commented,subscribed, and shared

This is a trailer that my good friend of many years just finished editing. He is like a ninja camouflage Kubrick, who will come with everyone to the sickest fucking landmark spot and instead of painting, he'll film everyone else. A true selfless bastard that will go balls out, hanging his ass over a freeway heaven spot so he can get a good flick of your piece. Then go out the next night and do a crazier spot than you, and film it himself, just to rub it in your titties.

^^ Watch this video - if you have youtube stuff comment on it. It's got all of me and my homies in it being goofballs. Share it. Make us do more stupid shit and film it.

FUCKING A'

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks yall - yeah the video is impressive. I am really lucky to have such a killer crew. All for the story...

A lot has happened in the past few months.

I dove into Oakland pretty empty handed and open minded. It was a bit rough but it more than made up for it in action and excitement. It reminded me of a blown up version of the towns on the outskirts of indian reservations. All the problems in my neighborhood dwarfed the ones that I was creating, so I nestled in pretty neatly.

I caught wind of a project for burning man this year and latched on pretty hard. I spent the majority of the past five months working on the design for the Temple at Burning Man. It's the largest art structure at the event and required a lot of time and really, really hard work. The project involved building a massive wooden art structure set apart from the main event that people could visit to meditate in, evaluate their life in, and leave behind mementos of loved ones who'd passed away. A big change from the fast-paced small-picture lifestyle that I'd been living for so long.

This was the design pitched to the event

temple-model_zpsuelxhtcf.thumb.jpg.879bb7e9e67c3f5ee74b086bd9485792.jpg

We had about three months of waiting to see if it actually bit, and among about a dozen other designs, we somehow got to the top three.

At the beginning of the year, I got the call that the project had been green lighted, and we were now well on our way to building a 300k dollar sculpture in the middle of the desert, for 70,000 people to interact with, and after 7 days, burn it to the ground.

• Like 1

I spent the next few months sanding, cutting, bolting, wrenching, welding, grinding, and trying to keep a loose grip on what I could and should be doing with my life. I put a hiatus on graffiti to concentrate on what I felt would be a better use of my time and skill-set. It was a very, very intense time period that saw a few relationships strained, and many more reinforced.

i-dJVqcQw-X3_zpsu5d2sz1w.jpg.7f7a33c2b9320afdda57243405896aa6.jpg

There is a weird warehouse in Alameda that houses strange art pieces, and I spent a considerable amount of my days assembling and planning out how this massive beast would come to life.

1439335515817_zpsjyon5hab.jpg.a43642ef5360b079efb0b6e9f7441ce7.jpg

Those of you in the bay will know of American Steel, a pretty hot spot for painting. I spent many, many hours inside this building welding and bending steel to make the giant trees that would inhabit the center of the "grove" (the inside area of the spiral structure, where people would write messages and mementos on strips of canvas and tie them to the trees).

Long story short.. I got early arrival pass for 2 weeks ahead of the event - we were the first art crew on site (middle of the desert in nevada). It was midnight of the day we were scheduled to arrive. We pitched our tents in the moonlight and began building a shade structure to house ourselves for the next 2 weeks of building this beast.

P1050638_zpshrebpqkd.thumb.jpg.2e94f30177c521f0d5221a0b6495f2aa.jpg

P1050639_zpsehcduqtr.thumb.jpg.6ee788b9d8ed65338c474ed0d3b7dafd.jpg

We spent all night into the morning setting up shade structures. The site itself was barren - a stick in the ground surrounded by spiral annotations of some crazy midnight mathmatic formula. The nearest human besides us was about a mile or two away. Ten or so of us, stranded in a weird limbo of dirt and hopefulness. There was a very odd combination of excitement, fear, curiosity, and inherent danger in the air. What now? was always the question that was whispered amongst quiet ears.

P1050641_zpsbhflwxqh.thumb.jpg.156caec8f9e052ca3ec9565a51deec23.jpg

• Like 1

You wake up at predawn. No tent yet, no real structure for shade. Just a human splayed out on a piece of blanket in the middle of the desert. Your eyes open to nothingness. A pure bifrication of land and space before you. What the fuck are you doing out there....

"hey bud grab the impact and let's make some shade... breakfast is ready"

P1050648_zpsqj063ev4.thumb.jpg.9ab2e862005827c0ecf10e5dff750012.jpg

Sunny side up, that's how we greeted every day the next couple weeks. A few of us built a tight crew of hard working nightowls that would sleep till dinner, put on harnesses, and run the night moves till dawn. rigging the bracing and ribbing of the structure on 20-40-60-80ft scissor lifts and VR's, precariously dangling off homemade bracing structures 40ft up, screwing in that last brace to try like hell to win the bet of an 8ball that night crew'd outpace day crew.

P1050655_zpsv0rqp0ya.thumb.jpg.47c1d1ed1e07fdee29c533280f12e7ae.jpg

P1050657_zpscuncyyrp.thumb.jpg.120fc16aca66d58c9d49a3aeaa686aed.jpg

P1050660_zpsdmhskapw.thumb.jpg.b8b614ec9d8706f40079b0341f98909a.jpg

An owl given to me by one of the hardest and most intelligent men I've ever met, a rogue Pollock who grew up in Chicago named Blazej, first night after I set my tent up.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I've got a bunch... I'll update pretty soon with some good stuff. What's good toiletseat? I've seen your name around forever but never said hello!

Times good here in Oakland. Just finishing up helping Swoon paint/install a mural at the Facebook headquarters.... Never worked with anyone so genuinely honest, true, and downright solid as a human being - not to mention so fantastically talented. It's insane how long I've worked with the varying degrees of pretentiousness and grandiosity that come with the trade we all share. It's refreshing and inspiring.

Pictures and stories to come, after this weekend..

Peace!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...