Travel Log - Hunting, Hitchhiking, Painting & Getting Dirty: Traveling Across America

Keepitrail

Thanks man, Hey were you the one who sent a postcard from Newfoundland? No one ever signed it or wrote a return address. Always good to hear from you.

No, never been to Newfoundland.

Would have sent you something from Berlin to that place in the woods you stayed at for a while

(still most fav / most intense section of this thread for me by the way, awesome), but you had already gone by then.

If you got a postal adress again for a while holler.

No I was just the one who told you (repeatedly I think) your journey would deserve pictures made with a really good camera

(though what you're using right now, apparently some Canon, isn't too bad - alas stories like that deserve more) -

maybe somebody knows somebody that has old pro equipment he no longer uses, can arrange a 'sponsored' camera,

or like I said if you were to setup some crowd-funding sort-of thing I'd throw in something for sure though I'm not rich either.

You writing a proper book plus having some sort of exhibition with awesome pics blown up big has to happen in the future

; ]

Keep it up & take care...

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Difficult! Most of the troubles I am working around is finding my own voice and also finding time and motivation to write. I have a lot of stuff typed up (typewriter) which I like much more because it requires confidence and premeditation (there is no backspace). And afterwards editing in pencil. I just read recently that's how Vonnegut worked, he had a nice little insert about his writing process in his latest, or late book. I forget the name, it's in the backseat of the car. Anyway, Because I like to read, I tend to gravitate mentally and writily towards whoever I'm reading. It's often Holden Caufield, Sal Paradise, Krakauer, London... you know the folk. The same with who you admire art-wise or graffiti-wise. Even those who seem to spring from a well of originality can only respond to the world around them: they don't bite, but they nibble.

no joke, you should get on kickstarter and get people to pay you to do this shit.

i'm guessing between the photos and the stories, you'll have no problems getting funds that would make completing said project much easier. ... seriously. i know it won't solve a motivation problem, but if it's only filling gaps in writing, you can fill in the blanks with pictures

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

My dog caught a grouse and brought it back to camp, alive and in her mouth this last weekend. I cut it's head off with an axe and it flapped around and I thought of KIR.

...bunch of womenz were screaming so I didn't gut it and pluck it, however now I feel like a pussy that I didn't.

CSB

Just stumbled upon this thread yesterday and I became instantly hooked and have spent the last 2 days reading it.

Amazing stuff KIR thanks for sharing it with us, I gotta say it takes big cojones to do what you are doing or have done especially going it alone and having to mostly hunt/forage our own food etc.

You must have got seriously lonely and bored at times but you stuck it out and you can see through your writing how living like you are has changed your perspective and has given you a lot of time and insight to think about the universe really, it seems like you feel everything a lot more and are a lot more in tune with nature and your surroundings than your average joe.

You are living a pretty interesting lifestyle and your experiences, knowledge and memories are something I'm sure you will cherish for your entire lifetime.

I particularly enjoyed your musings on the first time you hunted a deer and that little chat you had with that guy on his boat about life. Both of those stories were seriously good stuff.

Anyway good on you living how you have/are and sharing these experiences with us it's one of the best things I've seen on the internet period. Very inspiring stuff.

Also props to the 12oz community for sending this dude packages and taking him out to get pissed and giving him places to crash from time to time I'm sure it helped a lot.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
My dog caught a grouse and brought it back to camp, alive and in her mouth this last weekend. I cut it's head off with an axe and it flapped around and I thought of KIR.

...bunch of womenz were screaming so I didn't gut it and pluck it, however now I feel like a pussy that I didn't.

CSB

Awesome... Grouse is amazing. I thought it was pretty interesting that they are all dark meat and pheasants are all white meat, while the chicken is both light and dark. Jesus there is a whole world of information regarding the darkness of meat. I first got a glimpse into it while on the Cetology chapters of Moby Dick. I think it's only possible to get through those on audio book, but the particularly interesting part was the portion on Sperm Whales. Their muscle is so densely packed full of red blood cells that it appears almost black. They dive to incredible depths in the ocean for hours at a time searching for deep sea & giant squid which are if I remember correctly something around half a mile below sea level.

This comes into play with the fowl meat - pheasants are mostly airborne while grouse are runners. Running requires sustained, lengthy bouts of energy while flying is more of a short burst. Chickens fly using their breast meat, but also run around quite a bit using the dark leg meat.

Anyway...

What's up 12oz!? How is everyone? I thought I'd come back and dump some more photos and a couple of stories. The last one in Central 'Merika was a little ho-hum and rushed so I might revisit some of the more interesting things I left out and grab some more photos.

I have been doing some work up in the mountains lately, some trim work but mainly logging. It's nice to be up there, as we get to be away from cell phones, internet, everything and just spend a few days working with the land. I'm in the East Bay now, so much better than the north bay. Lots of mural gigs and boat work to do.

I missed out on the new site revamp, but I am looking forward to seeing the new shit.

I just moved to a new place and was going through my old stuff. Here is everything from the months I spent at the cabin. There's a couple more briefcases with about as much as this but it felt good to splay it all out. Most of this is double sided. For some reason I always ran out of paper so it's typed on whatever was at hand. I'll upload some details too.

P1020516_zpseb180c17.jpg

• Like 1

awwwwww yeah...

welcome back KIR!

looking forward to hearing more of your travels and adventures.

when you finish writing your book, I am going to pick up a copy, and im hoping you will give 12oz a shoutout in it lol.

you're in the east bay now...pm me cause im close by...gotta buy you a drink for making this awesome thread.

awwwwww yeah...

welcome back KIR!

looking forward to hearing more of your travels and adventures.

when you finish writing your book, I am going to pick up a copy, and im hoping you will give 12oz a shoutout in it lol.

you're in the east bay now...pm me cause im close by...gotta buy you a drink for making this awesome thread.

6Pg3Ldu.gif

• Like 1

Less than 2 weeks before you came through St Louis the old lady kicked me out.

Hell, a few days after I sent you the CCG

I would have so came and picked you up but I was on a north bound bnsf myself. now that I got my shit right, you head home via STL, hit me up.

*wink wink nod nod this time I kept a spare key to the car so maybe adventures can unfold.