The Beer Thread

H. Lecter

My point was based upon fact, TotalWine has been around since 1991. I'm happy they're now located wherever you are, not sure what the confederacy has to do with anything. TotalWine originated in Delaware "the first state" above the Mason Dixon line and they have 72 locations nationwide. Clearly not a "new" mega-store.

@john gacy

I consider rare beers to be anything that you won't find readily available through standard distribution. I live in one of the few cities in the US where it's legal to import beers outside of the three tier distribution system. Shops will pay people to drive beers back from California, Oregon, Washington State, etc. When they get a small shipment of Russian River they'll keep stock for regular customers. They set aside two bottles of Fantome Noel for me over the holidays and recently picked up some Brasserie De Silly La Divine after I mentioned how much I enjoyed that breweries Noel Tripel Blonde.

Good customer service and supporting small local business is worth a few extra dollars, IMO.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I drop minimum of 100 a stop, so those are not an extra couple bucks for me (I am also buying for the wife) if anyone can show me a selection as big or cheaper, I'll gladly switch.

My TW staff is knowledgeable and does give me recommendations when I ask for them. Maybe I am just lucky to have a location nearby with older guys who seem to enjoy what they do. The guys are mostly(east coast & midwest transplants) retirees who work just to stay busy.

I get a lot of my tips from bartenders, friends & internet threads like this though.

All our locale's effect these choices. Those of us in the bay or southern california are blessed with wonderful wonderful stores.

You, being in AZ, I'm not surprised.

When I live in Houston, we had friends who worked as buyers for whole foods, so we tried to help create a better beer community by getting them to push to bring in better beers. On the same hand, the BEST selection was at a local corner store.

State to state bottling and labeling regulations effect who can get what, and where.

Basically, it's completely different from state to state, so it's sort of a pointless argument.

Cocoa Mole Ale tasted like Liquid Christmas, it was good & strong, but too pricey.

DIG was good and similar to Mighty Arrow, slightly darker. Arrow tastes like fruit stripe gum at first, where DIG tastes like grapefruit.. but after a few, they both taste about the same.

Anyone else big on Sour Ales? Picked up a Rodenbach Vintage 2007 a few weeks ago, waiting for an excuse to drink it. Also found a two year old bottle of Fantome Noel in a random liquor store the other night, fantastic find. But yea, anyone ever had any Russian River's brews? I hear good things about Supplication but it's rare to find around here, at least in bottle form. Also anyone ever had any of the Allagash sours or the pleasure of drinking any of Alvinne's delicious brews?

• Like 1

Bump for pattys!

Been trying to revive a dead beer thread on another forum I've been visiting.

Some pics from the last couple Weeks.... Nothing special.

20120317_160559.jpg

20120317_144224.jpg

20120316_190854.jpg

20120313_170816.jpg

20120313_153445.jpg

• Like 1

ATTENTION: PLEASE HELP MAD ESC.KD.WH.NSF WITH HIS FIGHT AGAINST CANCER.

http://madvscancer.bigcartel.com/

Here's a link to a site that's taking donations for this cause. They're also looking for artists to donate work to be sold off. 100% of the profits will go toward helping MAD battle this terrible disease.

Please donate whatever you can and spread this message to everyone you know. Thanks.