The Beer Thread

H. Lecter

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now I'm prepared to be scolded for this, but just lookin for some ideas.

I've never been too much of a beer drinker. I used to drink some back in the day, but I just don't care for the cheap water beer we used to drink. Could drink it again just to get torn up, but I'm wanting something better.My friends just stay with their ol keystone, coors, busch and don't recommend much. What would you recommend for a "beginner" I suppose you could say.

Any ideas for some good brews I could go try?

hey toaster i'll put up a better list after work but: i second the new belgium as a beginner beer. its like beer with training wheels, it'll get you over the initial palette shock when transferring from canned piss to "real" beer. fat tire is a decent beer for the purpose.

I vote you start with avery, but that's just me.

I think some good advice too that's not just the brewery is styles:

Start with Pale Ales

Then have an IPA. Taste the difference and similarities between the two.

Then move to American Ales like Arrogant Bastard. Darker, larger malt profile, but maintaining the Hoppiness of the west coast style.

etc. etc.

Just a thought.

I wouldn't mind discovering a bitter cheap beer.

Speaking of which, I am in Europe on limited funds and subsisting on supermarket tall boys. Regardless of brand or style they all taste shockingly similar, which is shitty. Not mad at two for 3 dollars though.

Where you at? If you want to get good beer on limited funds, come to Germany. Been drinking champagne on a beer budget (so to speak) for a while now.

Ahhh afraid I can't man, everything I drank in CPH ( I assume you're there) was not even close to cost effective. Tuborg's solid (carlsberg's other beer) and carlsberg special is pretty good if you like your dark 5%ers.

I do recommend you party in a district called Kongens Nytorv, awesome fun and lots of food, clubs, bars and strippers. Just dont go to the stripper whores on Monday or Tuesday, scary ass b-team line-up.

I may be here in march, gimme a shout and you can tell me how much better yank brews are than other beers, no joke, my opinion.

back to CO beers/starter: Avery is also an excellent choice, they make incredible beer in just about every style and are readily available.

and i also agree that its best to start lighter: when i started drinking beers i hated IPAs, so i stuck to reds and ambers and hefs and "easier to drink" beers. moved into pale ales, belgians, porters, stouts and developed and figured out what i liked, what i didn't, but what is good in their respective categories/styles.

toaster: you've got a huge adventure in front of you.