The Beer Thread

H. Lecter

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ummm, a mostly shitty dry stout has nothing to do with the pour, it has to do with whether or not it's a good beer.

old 38 by north coast for a dry stout, all day.

Guinness extra is alright. There's another that's even better. But I'm sorry, anyone who thinks that is a pinnacle of beer making needs to fuckin check themselves.

Between draught and extra, it's a no brainer. But if we're talking on tap it has a huge amount to do with what gas they are pushing with.

Most pubs will not be able to justify spending 300% the cost of CO2 straights on a CellaMix (C02+Nitrogen) bottle, and even fewer will want to go the recommended 100% nitrogen push with a C02 initial carb.

This is why you get faggots raving on about the 'double pour'.

You can add a spot of ginger to give it a little punch, but usually girls don't seem to like the ginger heat in the drink. I think it gives something special.

Only other thing I'd suggest is using Champagne yeast - you might already be doing that? The attenuation and perseverance of a Champ. yeast will yield a lot more alcohol and will give you more control over exactly when you want to finish the ferment.

What OG are you looking for?

Ten sixty five will be pretty stable for ferment, I'd still go the Champagne yeast and pull her at 1020, should give you around the 5.8% mark but have enough body to hold onto the residual sweetness.

You could push to 1012'ish and be looking at a beasty 7%'er - but it would probably be too dry for the female palate.