The Beer Thread

H. Lecter

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dropping unnecessary knowledge (obviously I know what noel beer is, like I said, drunk it in Belgium).

Trying to make up for vomiting on yourself (goblet pfff).

Ripping on your home town breweries.

Minus 1,000 style points.

I thought cunts in here liked getting drunk.

So i posted a beer with a relatively high alcohol content.

Fucking cry.

not trying to make up for it. vomited on myself plenty of times and will certainly do it a lot more.

home town breweries? haha

aaand 7.2ABV is pretty low considering most of the beers posted in here.

people in here do like getting drunk, but the point of spending good money on good beer is to enjoy it, not get hammered.

you stepped into the beer fag thread, what you expect son?

any beer named after a graham greene novel gets atleast a nod in my book, would like to try just based on that.

and also 7.2 isn't really that high. seems like more and more the average is 6-8 for good beers. maybe i'm just drawn to the high abv ones though.

Why are people shitting on the dude for getting Sam Light?

You have to start somewhere. Not everyone went from stealing their dad's Bud's in middle school to Pliny The Elder

Also, Hop Rod Rye is the shit. All my favorite parts of IPA flavor without the bitterness or boozieness on the tail end.

you like IPA's but dont like the bitterness at the end?

you sure you like IPA's?

also people are shitting on dude for drinking sam adams light for--for me anyway--saying he had to "think" about the purchase. if it was a 30-40$ bottle i would understand, but its not, its piss-water.

• Like 1

Wish Australia would pony up and allow them to import cans.

Not that I could afford it... 6pk of Sierra Nevada Pale just went to $30 out here.

@Crimey/'88: Cheeky Monkey opened last night, opening was pretty awesome. Beers were very good. Next time you're down '88 hit it up for sure.

As per the opening I went to, got down there on my lunch break to give the best wishes before anyone rocked up. When I went back after work there was about 300 people there (that's a lot for out here!) anyway, that's why there's no people in the photos.

Yv2fJ.jpg

80Eqw.jpg

6bH1A.jpg

ovMd7.jpg

ybB52.jpg

I'll get some shots of the brewhouse later in the week, no point tripping over everyone yesterday - was a bit chaotic.

would that be out margs/dunsborough way?

still baffles me why people set up breweries in the heart of wine country and then spend a shitload on transportation costs to retail their beers. i was at IBS about a year ago and Bootleg beers were selling at 25$/4pk, fucking joke. and i have seldom seen the down south beers on tap, except for colonial but they actually know what they're doing.

if my idea ever gets off the ground it will be nice and fucking central so people have a realistic chance of tasting my beer, rather than getting sick of wine tasting and popping into a brewpub down south.

I'll let most of what you just said slide, because you haven't been here for a long time.

A couple of points though, because it's 520am and I'm bored, the part about Colonial knowing what they're doing... apart from owning the Royal, their distribution is essentially zero and the beer has gone downhill ever since the sell out.

The IBS is NOT indicative of what beer costs, they are the most inflated prices known to man, I haven't been back in nearly two years since my eyes opened to how hard they were ripping me off - often for stale beer. I know exactly what the Leg charges wholesale and they've never even done a 4pk, it would have been the IBS repacking into generic 4's and jacking up the price. If I was a bottle shop, I could make acceptable margin selling it at $70/ctn.

This is still the highest traffic tourist destination in the state, and the people that are here, are generally here to taste things and spend money. It's as much a personal lifestyle choice as a business decision. Sure, I'd sell a shit load more beer if I lived in Perth, but... then I'd be living in Perth - yo?

Flicks for talking. I said I'd get some snaps of the brew house for you guys.

CIP tanks

5Gbir.jpg

600L brew house

DONwi.jpg

Auger head (so fuckin' jealous of this bitch right here)

206Vy.jpg

Concealed grain mill room

fVU7f.jpg

Grain mill to auger (UNGGHHH)

mChll.jpg

Ferment vessels, fully skinned and controlled.

xeCua.jpg

Coolroom for brights;

avpq7.jpg

Holding tanks for transfers;

z5Jw6.jpg

Basically. I am jealous.

Been drinking mostly Belgian and British beers lately and I'm quite satisfied.

The Belgian beers I recommend are Delirium (all of them), Chimay Grande Reserve Blue, Tripel Karmeliet, and Orval Trappist Ale.

The British beers I recommend are Samuel Smith and Youngs (the double chocolate is awesome). I might catch some flack for this, but Newcastle Brown Ale and Bass Pale Ale are pretty great for chilling on a hot summer day. Reasonable prices, flavorful beers, that go well with everything. They might not be the best beers in the world, but I appreciate them.

Also, on the topic of going well with stuff, the Chimay I recommended goes really really well with Honey Nut Cheerios. Yeah I know, but the esters match up particularly well.