The Beer Thread

H. Lecter

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw the Ommegang Brewery over the weekend

Took home a few of each of these... the Hennepin was aged in Howe Caverns, still has some cave dust on it

CIMG0093.jpg

CIMG0095.jpg

Lots of people on the tour. Got to sample the beers, most of which I've had before. They were kind of stingy with the samples, but they were free so it's all good.

How was the adoration?

Our beer buyer said it was trash, and I have pretty much written off Ommegang as overrated, overpriced and overall no bueno.

hey veintiocho, is that the sierra nevada's celebration ale? my liqour store guy raves about it but i'm not a real big sierra nevada fan. i'm thinking of trying it next time, as well as those ipa's in a can.

http://www.troegs.com/default.aspx

i looked up that mad elf, looks good but they don't have a rep in chicago.

as i also looked up terrapin and they don't distribute here either.

i'd be willing to do a trade as well. i'm not sure whats not available for you guys so heres a quick run down of stuff off the top of my head that i can find

stoney island, stiegl, two brothers, pyramid, bells, 3 floyds, founders, southern tier, south hampton, great lakes, north coast, lost coast....

hey veintiocho, is that the sierra nevada's celebration ale? my liqour store guy raves about it but i'm not a real big sierra nevada fan. i'm thinking of trying it next time, as well as those ipa's in a can.

http://www.troegs.com/default.aspx

i looked up that mad elf, looks good but they don't have a rep in chicago.

as i also looked up terrapin and they don't distribute here either.

Yea, celebration ale is made by SN... it's my favorite SN beer. Not a huge fan of their other stuff though. Terrapin doesn't distribute up here in the Philly area either but I'll be in FL for xmas so I'll probably pick up a case or two. Ive had their Rye Pale Ale and it's pretty good.

Anyone got any suggestions for breweries down South? I'm driving down 95 to FL so I'll be hitting up lots of states.

jday.jpg

Tuborg Christmas Special Brew! 5.7% and delicious.

""The first Friday of November from 8:59 pm the Tuborg Christmas Brew (Julebryg) is released all over the country and free samples are given out at several Copenhagen cafés and pubs. Tuborg Christmas Beer has been part of the Danish Christmas tradition since 1982."

J Day is quite an experience...somewhat similar to St. Patrick's Day...but with it's own unique flair. Bars that are "participating" in the festivities all have huge flags out front that look the the label of the bottle. The Tuborg crew goes around the city in santa suits...busts into the bars playing "Julebryg, Julebryg" and passing out song sheets (sung to the tune of Jingle Bells...chorus sounds like 'Yule-E-Brew...Yule-E-Brew") and free beer."

description stolen from the smae place i stole the pic...

Drinking Goose Island Nut Brown Ale now because I haven't had GI in a long time.

Beer w/ a hint of buble gum flavor? Sounds mad suspicious, especially for a white ale. Then again, there's not a ton of American brewed whites that I like.

Don't know much about Ommegang, but someone gave me some last year that was chocolate, perhaps w/ cherry too, was good.

How was that Long Shot cranberry? Sam Adams used to (and maybe still does) do a cranberry. Anyone remember the brand Long Shot? Think it was from Texas. Pretty sure the main beer was hazelnut, killer taste, but then they scaled back distribution and faded away.

i used to be a chef at a resteruant that had its own brewery, was a awesome thing because you got to taste all the new beers brewed and give feedback to the brewer. asahi super dry was always one of my favourites, costing around $10US a pint was pretty expensive, now that im in japan, there is a vending machine just outside my room with asahi 500ml cans for $3US, so in summary all i have done this trip is take vallium and drink asahi.