i want to see your vinyl/vinyl appreciation thread/nerd shit

boogie hands

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
On 1/18/2023 at 6:28 PM, KILZ FILLZ said:

I’ve been troubleshooting some sound issues for a couple weeks now. Left and right speakers randomly act up. Either get distorted, fade out, or just not work on start up. Bounces back and forth from left speaker and right speaker. Sometimes will play sound flawlessly. I won’t touch anything and then when I try to listen to music the next day it happens again. 

i figured it was the cheapo speaker wire that came with these home theater speaker from AmVets but I changed it out for some 16ga speakerwire and banana plugs to the amp, but the Issue persists. 

Have checked all the connections over and over. Wires to speaker, wires to amp. Wires to turntable, wires to amp. 

i think I’m gonna buy an FM antenna or cheap CD player to hook up to the amp and see if the issue continues. If it doesn’t, I’ve isolated it to the turntable. If the issue continues I think I’ve isolated it to the amp… maybe? It could be the speakers…

90FB86CC-F00C-4D30-ACB6-703944DAB187.jpeg

I think I’ve solved the audio issue I’ve been troubleshooting. 

yesterday I removed the headshell from tone arm and threaded it back on. Did it a couple times. The threads on the tone arm were a bit gunked up and I don’t think the connection was very good. Messed with it a bit and then tightened it up one more time making sure it looked aligned and level. 

No problems since. Listened to music most of the day yesterday and this morning and everything seems to be working correctly! 

Do you guys have a separate sub for your set ups? Like a 2.1 system, or did you get speakers with a decent sub in them? I was looking at some used studio monitors at guitar center yesterday but having the change up all my wiring and shit for powered speakers seems like more hassle than it’s worth, for now. Unless I get a mixer and start using the second turntable I got I don’t really see myself moving away from these two cheap passive speakers. I think I’m gonna start hunting for a powered subwoofer to accompany my two cheap bookshelf speakers. 

edit- super happy with the two rush records and the Cosby picked up on last page. 

• Like 1

On 2/6/2023 at 4:01 PM, KILZ FILLZ said:

GOD-FUCKING-DAMNITCOMDNSISNVSYHSVS

the issue is back but it switched to the left channel!!! WTF

I had some issues that clearly were not linked to my wiring - ended up that I needed to use some good electrical switch cleaner.

Real feedback and static that I often assumed was related to my records or wiring - hell I even thought about grounding my turntable. 

Ended up it was all related to dirty connections in my receiver. 

I used Deoxit or similar because my receiver was pretty old 40+

Cleaned all the knobs and contacts and that improved my sound immensely.

This is when I was running a receiver and an old model turntable. Ended up just fully upgrading in the long term. 

Fuck it just linked my old reddit post - check that sub because you can get some great information on audio equipment.

Edited by fat ralphy

21 hours ago, fat ralphy said:

@KILZ FILLZ what kind of set up are you running? 

If I remember you came up on a Technic or something right?

for turntable I got two pioneer plx-1000

for amp i have a late 90s/early 00s Yamaha RX-570 receiver 

for speakers I have cheap zenith bookshelf speakers 

16 gage speaker wire 

headshells are Stanton 

cartridge and stylus are numark groove tool

97251F52-7F15-4CF4-A3CF-9CACBEDE420E.thumb.jpeg.db811129a4dd6aa131912dd5f360f6b5.jpeg

right now I just have one table hooked up to the amp. If I get a mixer I’ll bring the other table into the mix and prob upgrade to studio monitors and ditch the cheap zeniths I got at AmVets

12 hours ago, fat ralphy said:

@KILZ FILLZhow beat up are the records? Those are good finds for sure, I really need to thrift more to find stuff. 

Oh man these are loaners from a family member. They are in great shape. The two rush records on last page I got at goodwill are pretty beat though. One of the tracks has a spot on it that skips like a CD somehow (?)