i want to see your vinyl/vinyl appreciation thread/nerd shit

boogie hands

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • 2 weeks later...

@KILZ FILLZafter you posted that I checked out the group - righteous for sure brethren. 

This came today. So the actual gatefold supposedly plays a song - probably some cheesy 8 bit beat and there are LED lights too.

Once I get that going I will cirlce back to post it, my record player is currently in the back house and my chick moved in so everything is in chaos.

On the upside my room is becoming classier and I will have a nice chill area in the back apartment for my vinyl and nerd shit. 

2023-12-16 19:05:28.917.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Props 3

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2024 at 10:52 PM, KILZ FILLZ said:

Any advice for buying a used mixer?

Make sure it works. Lol

I don’t really have much advice. Mine is nothing special but it worked for the basic mixing I was doing. My friends who was really into DJing had a Vestax PMC-06 PRO A Mixtick Ultra-Slim 2-Channel.

I bet @MOOGLE?could advise you on what to get.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, LUGR said:

I think I am finally going to set my tables up again soon. Just need to get a receiver and some speakers.

9 minutes ago, MOOGLE? said:

@LUGR i havnt pulled the trigger yet on what setup im sticking with ...if this was digital audio workstation software i could go on for days about what to get and not to get.

@T4M* would be the one to holler at for sure with the mixer

Y’all should do a collab mix.

Meh. That Pioneer Mixer is koo, durable for scratching if you plan to do so.

If you are looking for a Mixer to connect two Turntables/inputs and Mix music, there are cheaper ones that will do the job.

Need purpose of Mixer to recommend devices.

• Props 1

As far as going about buying a used Mixer, the checklist is:

*must be tested in person

*check each knob, make sure they feel smooth and work

*all inputs/outputs must be static free (that buzz you hear when you have a faulty cable)

*the crossfader has to be smooth. Move it all the way to channel one and wiggle it, making sure channel 2 doesn't bleed in, same goes to channel 2

*If it's a scratching Mixer, go nuts with it and see if it's durable.

• Like 1
  • Props 2

8 hours ago, KILZ FILLZ said:

Guess I need to check out reverb. I’ve been browsing offer up like a pleb

ive been going hard on reverb hunting for near perfect or unopened gear like studio monitors , audio interfaces and cards for a windows xp pc build im working on.

also stumbled on this site for keyboards and midi gear that has at most missing knobs or blemishes

https://www.musicgoround.com/locations/st-charles-mo

i got my nektar impakt lx25  with a missing knob there for 40 bucks free shipping ..then just bought a replacement  knob for 5 online

On 2/6/2024 at 11:57 AM, T4M* said:

Meh. That Pioneer Mixer is koo, durable for scratching if you plan to do so.

If you are looking for a Mixer to connect two Turntables/inputs and Mix music, there are cheaper ones that will do the job.

Need purpose of Mixer to recommend devices.

I’m not planning on being a battle scratcher or anything like that, but would like to do a little bit of it. Mostly interested in mixing and I want a simple eq on there too, and ability for simple effects (echos). 

are numark and Gemini mixers ass? Or would they fit my needs? The price difference is alluring 

IMG_6584.jpeg

IMG_6583.jpeg

IMG_6590.jpeg

IMG_6591.jpeg

IMG_6592.jpeg

IMG_6593.jpeg

IMG_6594.jpeg

• Like 2

Numark and Gemini are not bad when it comes to alternative mixers, but there is a major problem with the FX button (echo, reverb, flanger, etc.)

Screenshot_20240210_022421_Firefox.thumb.jpg.e86d5b8e7c6cd46a7808c59f680eb469.jpg

Screenshot_20240210_022506_Firefox.thumb.jpg.69209dfb0ca9c72c26174d412a74d310.jpg

Screenshot_20240210_022450_Firefox.thumb.jpg.ebfd8e8f6d6aa84412685b93a2bae641.jpg

A mixer having an FX feature wasn't easy to find (in my search), and I think it's because they are not doing that anymore. It requires its own Unit to be built into the mixer to make the effects live for original Vinyls or any other source of music (tapes, CDs). Everything now requires a laptop and software,  and in your situation,  extra stuff to make your vinyls work with modern technology. 

To go cheap I guess, you need to buy a FX unit that's going to be connected after the mixer and than to your sound system, which gives you more FX options. To separate your FX for each channel, you need two and connected in between your vinyls and mixer.

"Scratching" mixers are for heavy battles, but any mixer can be turned into a Scratching mixer once I explain the crossfader.

Screenshot_20240210_021043_Firefox.thumb.jpg.1c945d121ecf6a6a297c01159490b0ba.jpg

The purpose of a crossfader is to transition from channel to channel in one step, rather than two in a Mixing Phase.

Let's say your crossfader broke, you have to go to the basics and mix with the Volume knobs.

Music is playing on channel one, you should have the volume knob all the way up, and the knob for channel two all the way down. To mix, you slowly lower channel 1, while bringing up the volume of channel 2, method is call a fade.

For Scratching,  there is no fade of volume in the crossfader.  When Music is assigned to only play in channel one (crossfader is all the way left), and you slightly move the crossfader to the right, you will hear both songs at full volume, whether or not you are in the middle of the crossfader. By moving the crossfader knob slightly back and foward on the ends of the crossfader, you create an effect called "CUTS", that's all you need for Scratching.  As an OG, some mixers have a small "light looking switch" that says (line in/phono), you can just flicker that and create the cut effect without using the crossfader. (It's called a toggle switch)

The (Curve) button is what you are looking for when it comes to Scratching.  You see a "triangle" indicating that the crossfader is going to fade your music, and a solid line with small dips that indicates it will cut your music when wiggled at the ends. (Here my friends, is where the money goes for scratchers. The wiggle part has to be precise and take abuse. More, more money allows you to mess with the tolerance number of the sound to match your hand movement precisely. Also the fader will feel like butter, minimal friction. )

With all this being said, that pioneer isn't a bad choice for the price,  paying too much for something you are not going to do as much, but good investment. Vinyls now require more stuff to make them work with FX and computers. Numark and Gemini are ok, I didn't find much mixers from them with built in FX. Obviously there is mixers that have them, but that's if you have hella money.

@KILZ FILLZ

Edited by T4M*
  • Props 1

@T4Mwow thanks for the thorough run down.  That’s too bad about the FX functions. I’m not really interested in joining my laptop up to the set up right now... But maybe down the road. I would eventually like to record some mixes of rare reggae tracks and send them to friends who are interested in that... so the laptop is on the horizon at some point. After reading your post I’m kinda leaning towards just copping a used budget mixer to get familiar with and then down the road decide if I want an upgrade. I wouldn’t really be using one of the better mixers to their full capabilities. I’m glad you chimed in, thanks man. 

if you don’t mind, I have a couple more questions -

I've seen a lot of mixers have the output for the speakers that use those beefy studio monitor plugs. My speakers take red and white RCA and I’m not really interested in replacing them with serious monitors. Is having the speakers with the RCA gonna really limit my mixer options? 

Do the equalizer functions on mixers vary much? Really just interested in bass and treble. I don’t think I will really need much more than that. Mostly to increase the bass on some older reggae tracks lacking the deep bass. 

more pics. Copped these yesterday. The final track on the jr Reid album is a disco track??!!! Lmfao 🤣 😂 

IMG_6630.jpeg

IMG_6629.jpeg

• Like 3