buying property

THANKYOU

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

work your credit score to at least 700 before you buy anything. i would buy a house just for the fact that their values are more likely to go up then a condo's. have about 7-8k in the bank before you start your transaction and get a rate thats fixed for 5-10 years, you dont want to refinance every 2-3 yrs. buy something thats in a ok condition and always do a home inspection, it can save you money in the long run and also some "credit back" money.

<--homeowner. fuckin loves it. spent all the money i had for graduate school on a down payment and couldnt be happier. dope spot too. nice neighborhood. big ass backyard. on schedule springtime groundbreaking for a miniramp.*fingers crossed.

step one. get wifey.

step two. buy house

step three. chill from 93 until..

buying a place is hard work though I've been hunting for nearly a year and the prices have gone up and up and my limit aint that high.

evry time i get to within buying distance of a place I actually like I keep getting shafted by some older couple that just come in 50K above me this fucking sucks.

mean while my deposit etc is gettign eaten away slowly by rent.

shit sucks

All this hatin' on condos... wow. I think some of you may have a mis-guided idea of what a modern condo is really like. Believe me folks... Joker don't do no "Three's Company" style condo. My shit is right out of Dwell magazine. High rise style. LEEDS Silver certified style. In the city action.

I think what homeowenrship (is that a word?) comes down to is what is your preference. My wife and I really thought we would totally enjoy gardening, turns out we fucking hated it. We thought we would enjoy our little fixer-upper and making it all ours, turns out we ain't no Bob Villa and the projects were horrendous. We thought we'd love having a huge yard and the hot tub for parties and the two garages, turns out the hot tub was work to keep clean because we live in a wet climate... the garages were a pain in the ass because of the condition they were in needed to be fixed and the yard was just way too big for us to manage. I will say that the smaller of the two garages was turned into an art studio and made for a nice place to produce art. I do miss that. But... the wife and I realized that we're more about living in the city and having easy access to all things the city has to offer. So we looked into a smaller home with way less of a yard that was closer in. There was no way we could even afford something decent close in to the city. The more we thought about it the more the condo / loft style home sounded like an option. Did some research and found one we liked and bought it. Couldn't be happier.

As for making no money from a condo I think that depends on the building, it's location, the unti itself, the condition and the amenities. If you buy a converted condo you're basically going to sell it five years down the road for about ten grand more than you bought it for. A converted condo building is nothing but an apartment complex with updated appliances. If you've ever lived in an apartment you know how crappy they are. Newer high rise condos / lofts are incredible... depending on your tastes. I enjoy modern living, modern furnishings and the ease of my surroundings in and out of the home. And making almost $100k without having to do nothing... not even live in it... I think that's easy money. A lot easier than having to buy a fixer-upper home and try to turn it around and hopefully make some cash.

JR_hero_web.jpg

I'm the complete opposite of King Of Hell when it comes to furnishings and home styles. Dude likes antique and Victorian... I'm more mid-century modern and Bauhaus.

I'm not sure why I felt I had to defend my right to buy a condo... sorry to bother you with my ramblings.

My wife and I really thought we would totally enjoy gardening, turns out we fucking hated it.

its called low maintenance design bro, should have hollered I make that shit happen daily! I'm laughing to the bank of what Joker said, i hear it in my sleep,when i'm reading or working out peoples lazy shit echoes in my brain, but i'm ok with stacking money of people not willing to come correct.

I'm looking into getting a farm style property on the outskirts of a metropolis type city, the price's are disgusting and I might ave to split it with my family, but from a business stand point its one of the best ideas I've ever had.

what would you rather buy, a house or a condo? older members? what are you working with now?

i'd like to buy a house in the near future i think, paying rent is wack as hell. And the way i see it, houses aren't permanent necessarily, you can always pack up and sell, you just might lose your ass if it's not a buyers market, but hopefully, id be ok with staying put if that was the case until things turned around.

people think renting or living in the apts is the way to go sometimes, but after giving it some thought, you really are just throwing money down the tubes.

ive also been watching a lot of flip that house, moving up, and a few other house improvement tv shows, i love that shit.

i also want a house just to have a bunch of people come over and party all the time and hang out, somewhere to park my car in the garage, a jacuzzi, i'm going to make it a pimp ass house for sure....

anyone else getting near that time in their life where they might be buying a house or property?

my first point - weren't you JUST talking about not having money? you do know that a mortgage costs more per month right?

second point - what the fuck happened to having no friends? who the fuck is going to go to your house for parties? also, i dont know about other people, but i hate having parties. i havent hosted a party in years because FUCK cleaning up other peoples mess. people who go to parties dont give a fuck about what they break/destroy etc. they think a "sorry" will suffice seeing as how its a party. no son, that shit is still broke in the morning.

third point - you've been sitting around watching a lot of shows about houses? so you want to fucking get a house and do that shit? i mean seriously, you named 3 fucking shows about houses, that cant be all you watch on tv, which means you watch tv what? all fucking day? you really think you're going to actually do anything other than watch tv all fucking day when you get a house? people seem to think moving into a new unit/new house/buying a new car whatever is going to somehow magically change how they live life. no broham, you'll fall into your same habits within a week. i know because i did that shit for awhile.

fourth point - usually, when getting a morgage they look to make sure that the monthly payments for the house are less than 1/3rd of what you're making. actually the fourth point belongs in the first point, but fuck that shit, more numbers = me looking smarter.

jacuzzi's arent fun with no one else in them (the real forth point)

iloveboxcars- simmer down buddy, getting all worked up.

i wish you guys could meet me in real life, yea i kinda fucked up your opinions and scar'd my online persona for life, but whatever, you guys have no idea what im about. (in the real world)

ps- im bipolar. so the whole no money, no friends, etc, fuck it, im living life. ill maintain.

parties- i agree, im not having an "open bar for the whole city party" with a buncha fucktards i have no idea who they are. when we had parties at my apt, me and my roomie had shit on lock, closed down rooms, kept tabs of suspect people, watched valuebles, none of that bullshit you guys talk about going down at your parties is gonna happen at my house, believe that shit. You'd get stomped the fuck out.

my dads in the stock market, and as everyone who watches the news or reads cnn once in awhile knows, the worlds going to hell in a hand basket with the quickness. I think within the next year or less, there will be a lot of houses up for sale from people who can't afford, them, i'm probally going to get a 3 bedroom maybe 4, 2 baths, huge living room, open kitchen looking into living room, is what i'd like to get into.

and you don't have to have a ton of people in a hot tub to enjoy it, bring chicks through to chill and drink, youve got a party in my book.

and like others have said, i pay $569 a month for renting an apt, I could get into a house payment / mortgage for like $800-1100 depending on the area i'm trying to get into and the down payment, and hopefully buying when houses are dirt cheap due to people getting laid off etc... and i'll be good to go. i got my credit on lock, its around 720 or so, so im good there as well.

thanks to joker and a few of the other heads here who replied who already own houses / condos etc.... good suff all around.

anyone want to post some piks of their cribs?

i wasnt trying to be funny, i was trying to knock some sense into this kid.

800-1100 for a house?

seriously? have you actually looked into this or are you just throwing numbers around? a 3 bedroom house for 1100 a month sounds completely outrageous to me. maybe its because its texas, and we all know texas is a synonym of suck. but seriously, if thats how much a morgage is out there i'm going to start buying a lot of real estate out there.

I was recently watching a show on the tube about what homes cost in what cities. They did a small bit on Denver and it's suburbs and the prices were pretty cheap in comparrison to where I live, or California or anywhere on the east ocast.

They showed one home that was a Rummer designed home (designed inspired by Eichler) and the guy bought it for $180k, put a little into to it to bring the thing up to date and it was now worth $320. In my area... that same house would have sold for $850k before updates.

A Rummer style home...

rummer_4.jpg

rummer_7.jpg

And I recall seeing on the same program something about a city in Texas... maybe Austin?... can't remember. But yeah, shit was cheap. If you're looking to live large iloveboxcars... you should do some investigating and make the move. If anything, you could move to one of these cheaper cities, buy up a house and fix it up real nice and turn it over. Do that again with a couple more houses and in a couple of years go back to California and get you something decent.

Joker I think that show is called National Open House or something along those lines.

I bought a house in the Northeast and it's not cheap out here. The structure was solid, it just needed work. We did 95% of the work on the house ourselves. But that is what we wanted to do... well we had to do it that way anyway in order to afford a place.