katrina

saraday

Originally posted by onesecondple@Aug 31 2005, 03:06 PM

Is the storm over now? Is LA just dealing with the horrible aftermath?

It's horrible regardless, and the looting situation is a moot point now. Too bad we dont have a president who will step up and do what needs to be done, or at least, i dont think we do.

I went to the gas station about an hour ago, prices have gone up fifty-cents (not the rapper, real money, real life) since yesterday, and they are going up more. People are gettin nutty there. People are linning up all down the block, cops directing people. Atlanta gets their gas from New Orleans, so were gonna be out of gas for a little while I assume.

no new orleans is like...under sea level the storm damaged the levees so now waer is seeping in and the city is being flooded with the exess water that cant be pumped out..the bowl is being filled we were due for this to hsppen

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've been reading and watching a lot about this whole ordeal, it's so terrible.

I hope all you southern 12 ozers are okay. I know this isnt the right time but Saraday you owe me a recipe for gumbo. Haha, sorry, I love gumbo.

Also, something else I've been wondering (sorry if this was already discussed) was whether they should rebuild New Orleans once the flooding has receeded. On one hand, it's below sea level, and automatically that makes it a dangerous place to build a city. But on the other hand, not rebuilding just seems fucking ridiculous. Is this a stupid question? Will this most likely never happen again?

This is a stretch and I probably have no idea what I'm talking about but here's a thought. What's good with rebuilding New Orleans in another spot outside the "bowl". Or is that not possible? I mean it seems like the city's pretty much a complete loss and they're gonna have to rebuild everything anew from scratch anyway. Why not build it somewhere else near where it was? Or is N.O. completely surounded by suburbs all the way to the next city like east coast cities? Just a thought.

Originally posted by symbols+Aug 31 2005, 03:29 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (symbols - Aug 31 2005, 03:29 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-symbols@Aug 31 2005, 04:27 PM

my dad told me last night, the army corp of engineers wanted to review the levee and pump system in new orleans in january 05 to gauge it's integrity.

PRESIDENT BUSH CUT THEIR BUDGET AND ENDED THE LEVEE PROJECT

fuck these dumb ass reporters for showing us horror after horror and not reporting on that shit.

i'm driving this one home.

[/b]

They mentioned this briefly on NPR. I'm glad they did cause I had no clue about this.

I don't know if I heard this right but I think I heard something about turning away from search and rescue and focusing on the looters now.

Originally posted by mackfatsoe@Aug 31 2005, 06:17 PM

I've been reading and watching a lot about this whole ordeal, it's so terrible.

I hope all you southern 12 ozers are okay. I know this isnt the right time but Saraday you owe me a recipe for gumbo. Haha, sorry, I love gumbo.

Also, something else I've been wondering (sorry if this was already discussed) was whether they should rebuild New Orleans once the flooding has receeded. On one hand, it's below sea level, and automatically that makes it a dangerous place to build a city. But on the other hand, not rebuilding just seems fucking ridiculous. Is this a stupid question? Will this most likely never happen again?

remind me in a week or so.. i've been so busy but i PROMISE i'll give you a good gumbo recipie!

i just finished putting together a HUGE pile of clothes and shit i'm donating to the red cross or salvation army. so far i have:

6 bags of clothes

2 boxes of shoes

1 box of purses/belts

i dont know if you guys know.. but the school dist where i live (along with many others) are opening up their doors to enroll students from NOLA.. they're also trying to employ teachers and stuff.

i've collected LOTS of dress clothes/nice shoes for people who are searching for jobs out elsewhere.

ANYONE who wants to donate clothes and other household stuff should bring things to the salvation army/goodwill and specify that you want it to go to the survivors of hurrican katrina.

if you don't need it.. i PROMISE you, these people do.

Originally posted by bathoræ@Aug 31 2005, 09:30 AM

Does anyone know anything about Covington??

My sister goes to UNO and I know that's where she went as of a few days ago...

From what I heard earlier.... University of New Orleans is right near Lake Ponchatrain right? If I'm remembering this correctly from what I've heard, noone can even get close enough to UNO to survey the damage. I believe I heard something about that on NPR this morning.

I just heard a sheriff on MSNBC state that the north and east sides of the city have it the worst and are flooded out.

it makes sense to me to make use of the resources that are there in the stores, keeping in mind that huge amounts of supplies will have to be shipped in from elsewhere. it looks pretty shitty in that arena, i wouldn't want to be there. i think authorities will be forcing people out of the city and trying to keep anyone from entering it soon.

I realize there is martial law. I just feel that the situation would be better served if the focus was on saving peoples lives so that they don't feel pressured to take matters in their own hands (which can lead to looting).

There is alot of crazy shit going on, people getting shot and everything.... I just feel as though that if there was a coordinated relief effort: search and rescue, to immediate treatment and basic needs, to evacuation etc.... Things would probably be less chaotic. But as things are now, there's only been less than 20 helicopters in the area all day... they only saved 1000 people today... there is easily hundreds of thousands distressed. This is only getting worse exponentially and astronomically as time drags on.

*There is a huge military mobilization on the way, though I really don't think there is going to be sufficient equipment (helicopters and small motorboats) to be able to comb all of the areas in need.... I don't know how many of these boats the navy has but I'm pretty sure it's not enough. They are going to need some serious private sector cooperation, which is not so easy to mobilize.

I can understand looting materials that will help you stay alive and healthy. I'm sure Sam Walton would have no problem if people were looting his stores because they need food and supplies in such a time of disstress. But when I see people looting electronic stores, music stores, high end clothing stores, and gun stores it makes me sick to my stomach. This is not a time to be worrying about material personal gain. It's a time when each and every american/human should be helping each other out to stay healthy and rebuild. It's also sad to think about all the people who unfortunately have never been to the Big Easy before this disaster. It is an extremely beautiful city in it's own dirty kind of way. It makes me appreciate my city and surroundings so much more. Even though I live in Chicago and this typically isn't an area prone to natural disasters, you never know what could happen. Did anyone see the special on the Discovery channel about Yellowstone National park, and the possible giant magma chamber that lies beneath? If that thing blows it will probably be the end of every great city, well every city we know of in the Usa that is west of the Rockies. Something like that will happen, not sure on the details, but its always a possibility. I'm going to go outside and kiss a couple buildings to let them know how much I appreciate them being there. Well maybe I won't go that far, but I definetly have a higher appreciation for the world around me.

Originally posted by villain@Aug 31 2005, 09:56 PM

I realize there is martial law. I just feel that the situation would be better served if the focus was on saving peoples lives so that they don't feel pressured to take matters in their own hands (which can lead to looting).

There is alot of crazy shit going on, people getting shot and everything.... I just feel as though that if there was a coordinated relief effort: search and rescue, to immediate treatment and basic needs, to evacuation etc.... Things would probably be less chaotic. But as things are now, there's only been less than 20 helicopters in the area all day... they only saved 1000 people today... there is easily hundreds of thousands distressed. This is only getting worse exponentially and astronomically as time drags on.

*There is a huge military mobilization on the way, though I really don't think there is going to be sufficient equipment (helicopters and small motorboats) to be able to comb all of the areas in need.... I don't know how many of these boats the navy has but I'm pretty sure it's not enough. They are going to need some serious private sector cooperation, which is not so easy to mobilize.

the resuce efforts have been hindered not entirely because they were not coordinated.. but moreso because the lack of communication. after the storm we all though we lucked out.. then the water started coming in. when helicopters were doing damage assessment, they found people stranded.. while the few helicopters they had were rescuing people.. the water was still filling the city.. the generators started giving, people were getting sick/dehydrated..

basiclly.. everything that COULD have gone wrong DID.. and it all happened at the same time.. with lack of help, phone lines, electricity, etc.. it's hindered their attempts of coordination signifigantly (at least, that's my theory as to why shit's been so crazy)

((disclaimer, if this post is not making sense, it's b/c im drunk of wine.. i deserve it, damnit.))

The yellowstone magma chamber actually has a decreasing probablility of erupting. If you watched the end of the movie part they showed the real facts of the matter. The plates of the earth moving over the magma chamber are thicker.... Is it a possibility? Sure. A probability? No.

this is the scariest thing i've read so far..

a friend on another message board (nola based) has been communicating in txt msgs with his friend who works on an oil tanker, this is a log of their conversation:

we have been talking on and off with text messages for 3 hours. he has passed nola twice and btr twice today.

Brian > We are watching the coast guard pull bodies out of the river. We are suposed to report any refugees in boats.

Me > how are the refineries?

Brian > there are selected refineries running now on generated power. We are trying to get the last of the oil befor its too late.

Me > how much damage was done to them.

Brian > The refineries down stream are leaking into the river there is a barge upstream leaking sulfuric acid into the river. The coast guard fears it is going to burn the civilians if it does not dilute.

Brian > there are people all along the banks up stream and down stream. The coast guard is not rescuing anyone. We have to dock soon to unload.

Me> Stay safe.

Brian > There are choppers everywhere! Its like fucking mad max and shit. Heard the cops stopped rescuing people. This is crazy.

i cannot even wrap my brain around the madness.

today i've pretty much turned off the tv and ignored all the shit being said about looting.

it's emotional overload.

if anyone is intrested in registering on that other forum that i've been getting all my info, let me know and i'll send the link. it's very sad to read.. most of it is my friends trying to find one another, find out if their homes are okay, and finding out any information whatsoever.

i'm just spent on all of this.

Originally posted by saraday@Aug 31 2005, 10:19 PM

the resuce efforts have been hindered not entirely because they were not coordinated.. but moreso because the lack of communication. after the storm we all though we lucked out.. then the water started coming in. when helicopters were doing damage assessment, they found people stranded.. while the few helicopters they had were rescuing people.. the water was still filling the city.. the generators started giving, people were getting sick/dehydrated..

basiclly.. everything that COULD have gone wrong DID.. and it all happened at the same time.. with lack of help, phone lines, electricity, etc.. it's hindered their attempts of coordination signifigantly (at least, that's my theory as to why shit's been so crazy)

((disclaimer, if this post is not making sense, it's b/c im drunk of wine.. i deserve it, damnit.))

You are right, coordination has been poor. I just saw a report on how the mayor personally saw no attempts at repair of the levees all day even though they were supposed to be worked on. Nothing! You would think that all necessary government facilities would have an independent communication system. I know in the army we use SINGARS and that relies on no towers or stations or anything of that nature.

That was probably the worst thing is that noone expected this magnitude of damage. As an author just said how maybe we shouldn't have underestimated a hurricane that was the size of the entire gulf of mexico in the first place. I'll tell you what, in recent years the storms I have seen are insane. I have not seen storms this big in my life..... Storms that cover half the US at a time.... shit is not right. Global warming is no joke. They are calling this the worst natural disaster in US history now. It WAS officially a category 4... probably a 5. Or 6 if there is such a thing. The national academy of sciences said we should expect the worst hurricane season we have ever seen and, I'll be damned, them scientists know what the fuck they are talking about.

We have huge swaths of entire states that have no power, food, water, and are impassible... A huge, huge logistical obstacle.

Your post made perfect sense. And I have been steady drinking beers so I hope this is making sense.

villian (and everyone, really): you have to UNDERSTAND, we are not talking about New York, Boston, San Fran, etc... this is NEW ORLEANS.. one of the most backwards cities of all time.

the money there has NEVER gone to the right place.. i like mayor Ray Nagin because the first thing he did on the FIRST DAY he was in office was attack city hall corruption.. he just didn't have enough time or the resources to be prepared for something like this. it would have taken 20 years of planning for new orleans to be prepared for a catastrophe like this.. and even then there would have been a lot of casualties because at least 60% of the New Orleans population is below the poverty line.

there are 349280349 reasons why this is happening.. i'm just disgusted that it took this for the nation to realize how VULNERABLE new orleans is (and has been).....

GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, please someone give me a lobotomy so i can stop thinking about all this shit.

(sigh)

Yeah....

it seems noone wants to do anything until it's too late. It always comes down to funding.... noone wants to fund something that may seem unnecessary but could ultimately save even more money. Short sighted self interest is not limited to New Orleans.

It does seem that the poor suffered the most here, as is often the case unfortunately. And I'm quite aware of what crushing poverty feels like and I know what the poverty is like in New Orleans. My heart goes out to you all.

Reasons why this has happened cannot help us anymore, except to prevent this from ever happening again.

Relief is needed more than anything right now. It would seem that in times like this that the news would be an effective command and control. I just saw a man coordinating a major shipping operation of needed goods to the region and he says he needs buildings to store these goods... He was asking people if they had a building jokingly.... but he could perhaps get help from people with materials and workers to erect such a building.... steel buildings that could be erected quite quickly. The news seems to have a greater reach when chain of command is disrupted, since news is so prevalent and ubiquitous.