katrina

saraday

Originally posted by dumy+Aug 31 2005, 09:51 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dumy - Aug 31 2005, 09:51 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by symbols@Aug 31 2005, 03:29 PM

<!--QuoteBegin-symbols@Aug 31 2005, 04:27 PM

my dad told me last night, the army corp of engineers wanted to review the levee and pump system in new orleans in january 05 to gauge it's integrity.

PRESIDENT BUSH CUT THEIR BUDGET AND ENDED THE LEVEE PROJECT

fuck these dumb ass reporters for showing us horror after horror and not reporting on that shit.

i'm driving this one home.

EXACTLY, at least he cut his vacation two days short to survey the damage...geez, give me a fucking break...

[/b]

I found out that Bush has already taken the longest vacation time of any President ever. 336 days as of the end of August. That's 20% of his fucking presidency!!! Some leader we got.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just had a very odd night tonight. I'm going to tell the whole lot of it to just sort of elucidate the surrealness

of it all. It isn't till the end that the story takes a relevant turn towards this topic. I'll try to keep it concise.

So it is the night before I leave to go back to school. I decide to go visit some friends before I leave. Makes

sense. As I walk in to their apartment I am suprised to find my two friends breakin up a 20 bag on their counter.

One to lend a helping hand, I contributed towards their succes in the endeavor. Fast forward two and a half hours.

I leave their apartment to return to mine. Upon the realization that there are no clear-eyes or visine in the

apartment, I decide a late night run to Wal-Mart is a good idea. This also gives me a chance to pick up some

last minute stuff for school. All is still good.

I roll up to the Wal-mart to find the police sittin outside fuckin with some kids on the curb. Great. That's gonna

be a fun place to walk into. So I go inside, find the shit I need, and get into the only line open to check out.

The two women ahead of me have quite a bit of stuff. Ranging from baby food and clothes to food to bathroom

toiletries. And they keep arguing. Pay no attention to that... Then comes the two drunk dudes behind me,

talking about how they have completed an objective for the night. All of a sudden, one of them starts barking

marching orders at the other. Of whom quickly takes stance in the isle and begins marching in place. Ahh...

the bars have just closed. Makes sense. Look to see how much was still ahead of me. The women are still

arguing, this time about how much the older one will pay for. Finally they get done with their purchase, and

the older woman begins to explain to the counter person about how they are staying in an extended stay hotel.

I quickly thought that it was a very odd thing to divulge to a cashier at Wal-mart.

As I walked out to my car I realized the two women were from lousianna and were replacing necessities

they had surely left behind in New Orleans. It was very sobering and to say the least sad. After reading what

sara posted today about the Super-Dome, this was even more bleak and sad.

Sorry to make it so long, and probably boring. But, I figured if that sobering moment were to be appreciated

anywhere it would be here.

RIP to those that have died and will die :o

Originally posted by alure@Aug 31 2005, 05:20 PM

dead bodies, sharks and crocodiles..

i have no proof..thats what i heard...

but i can believe that... the sharks and crocodiles

^ my girl was telling me she saw on the news that animals (ie sea lions, crocs, and even 2 dolphins) were swept in by the hurricane. the deal w/ the sea lion, was that it was wayy inland and surrounded by debris, and it looked like it was dying b/c there wasn't that much water/clean water around it... and the news have been reporting for a while now that crocs have been seen swimming around.. that shit is freaky.. and the 2 dolphins thing, my girl also said the news televised 2 dolphins that were swimming around in a flooded pool... sounds hard to believe but she said she saw it on the news... i dunno

i keep watching the news to hear the latest update.. this shit is so sad...

again, i hope everybody is alright. if i had a giant magic noah's arc in my pocket, and inflate that bad boy and send it off to the starnded people.

Originally posted by WhiteOx@Sep 1 2005, 04:49 AM

whats the bodycount roughly ?

they dont have a clue..... but they're saying in the thousands

people have seen lots of dead bodies floating around.... but some of them surely are bodies from graves that have washed up or somehow come out of their mosileums. *god, i hope my deceaced friends in nola are still in their resting spots*

SUPPOSEDLY a friend of a friends who is in the Nat Guard saw over 500 body bags filled 2 days ago. he couldn't tell if they were dead bodies from the storm, or ones from graves that had washed up.

basiclly, rescuers are being told to leave the dead bodies and concentrate on finding survivors.. it'll be days, weeks, maybe longer before they have a full count. even then, there will prob be people who went missing and were never found.

i dont even want to KNOW how that city smells right now.

:)

i was wondering that myself... why couldnt they drop water and bread or some shit..

what about all the people stuck on i-10

i knew that WHEN this would happen (nola flooding), things would get really bad... but i never imagined shit like this... martial law and such

it's so surreal to know that this is going on in our country.. let alone a hundred miles from me. if this would have happened last summer, i would have lost everything.

a friend of mine posted this on myspace:

story from baton rouge

Body: This is an email from a friend of mine at LSU. He is a student SID in their office and is telling the story he is currently going through....For everyone's information, the "PMAC" is the Pete Maravich Assembly Center where the basketball teams and other sports play. The "Dungeon" is the practice court which is below the main basketball floor.

I don't have any words except that this is a very, very sad situation......

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Wed 8/31/2005 3:51 AM

To: Bill Martin

Cc:

Subject: The PMAC will never host an important event like it did tonight

Little did I know what I would be doing following Hurricane Katrina's aftermath but as I type right now, there won't be a more gratifying or more surreal experience I went through tonight. We went up to the office today and held a press conference regarding the postponement of the game and it was the right decision. As the PMAC and Field House are being used as shelters we decided as an office to do everything we could to help the situation.

At first, we were just supposed to make copies of this disaster relief form for all of the people. The copiers will never print a document more important than that. It's weird. Nearly 12 hours ago we were running off copies of game notes for a football game that is now meaningless. We printed the copies and carried them over to the Field House at 6:30 p.m. I wouldn't leave the area for another 8 hours.

On the way back to the PMAC in a cart, it looked like the scene in the movie Outbreak. FEMA officials, U.S. Marshalls, National Guard, and of course the survivors. Black Hawks were carrying in victims who were stranded on roofs. Buses rolled in from N.O. with other survivors. As Michael and I rode back to the PMAC, a lady fell out of her wheelchair and we scrambled to help her up.

We met Coach Miles and Coach Moffiit in the PMAC to see all the survivors and it was the view of a hospital. Stretchers rolled in constantly and for the first time in my life I saw someone die right in front of me. A man rolled in from New Orleans and was badly injured on his head. 5 minutes later he was dead. And that was the scene all night. What did we do, we started hauling in supplies. And thousands of boxes of supplies. The CDC from Atlanta arrived directing us what to do.

One of the U.S. Marshalls was on hand so the supplies could not become loot. I asked him what his primary job was. He serves on the committee of counter terrorism, but once he saw of the disaster, he donated his forces to come help. He said the death toll could be nearing 10,000. It was sickening to hear that.

After unloading supplies, I started putting together baby cribs and then IV poles. Several of our fball players and Big Baby and Tasmin Mitchell helped us. At the same time, families and people strolled in. Mothers were giving berth in the locker rooms. The auxiliary gym "Dungeon" was being used as a morgue. I couldn't take myself down there to see it.

I worked from 8 pm until 2:45 am. Before I left three more buses rolled in and they were almost out of room. People were standing outside, the lowest of the low from NO. The smells, the sights were hard to take.

A man lying down on a cot asked me to come see him. He said,"I just need someone to talk to, to tell my story because I have nobody and nothing left. He turned out to be a retired military veteran. His story was what everybody was saying. He thought he survived the worst, woke up this morning and the levees broke. Within minutes water rushed into his house. He climbed to the attic, smashed his way through the roof and sat there for hours. He was completely sunburned and exhausted. Nearly 12 hours later a chopper rescued him and here he was.

We finished the night hauling boxes of body bags and more were on the way. As we left, a man was strolled in on a stretcher and scarily enough he suffered gunshots. The paramedic said he was shot several times because a looter or a convict needed his boat and he wouldn't give it to him. Another man with him said it was "an uncivilized society no better than Iraq down there right now." A few minutes later he was unconcious and later pronounced dead. I then left as they were strolling a 3 year old kid in on a stretcher. I couldn't take it anymore.

That was the scene at the PMAC and it gives me a new perspective on things. For those of you who I haven't been able to get in touch with because of phone service, I pray you are safe. Send me an email to let me know. God bless.

Bill Martin

LSU Sports Information

225.578.8226 Main

225.578.4758 Direct

225.578.1861 Fax

http://www.LSUsports.net

i have also come to find out a close friend was in n.o.(french quarter) at the time of the hurricaine.luckly enough him and 2 of his friends were able to hot wire a car and drive into texas before conditions got realy bad.i was able to talk with him on the phone for a few minutes.hes held up in a motel that opened all theyre rooms to survivors.he is heading home tonight or tomorow

Originally posted by villain@Sep 1 2005, 04:39 AM

I don't understand how people in the Superdome don't have food or water.... Aren't there air drops? We did it in Afghanistan, why not here?

I wonder how much this relief effort is being compromised by the resourses that we have in Iraq? helicopters, national gaurd, communications devices..

Isn't there a NG base in the NO area that is mostly on duty overseas?

they havent said it but i think one of the reasons they are not dropping supplies is because the massive lawlessness going on.

i mean come the fuck on, you had enough time to evacuate and now you're gonna shoot at the helicopters coming into help and that's why the buses arent there either.

stupid motherfuckers.

Originally posted by nomadawhat+Sep 1 2005, 10:28 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nomadawhat - Sep 1 2005, 10:28 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-villain@Sep 1 2005, 04:39 AM

I don't understand how people in the Superdome don't have food or water.... Aren't there air drops? We did it in Afghanistan, why not here?

Isn't there a NG base in the NO area that is mostly on duty overseas?

[/b]

Yeah they are in Iraq. Man I feel bad for them...

Originally posted by oneeightyone@Sep 1 2005, 11:17 AM

they havent said it but i think one of the reasons they are not dropping supplies is because the massive lawlessness going on.

i mean come the fuck on, you had enough time to evacuate and now you're gonna shoot at the helicopters coming into help and that's why the buses arent there either.

stupid motherfuckers.

People are gonna need supplies regardless. It's not like a looter is going run off with a whole crate... and there's plenty to go around.. It just needs to get there.... I would be sending mad air drops if I were president.

Some machinegunners can pick off the crazies shooting at the choppers... it's still a small problem... and much of the anarchy would be alleviated by a massive supply drop (Including floatation devices).

I would like to say my comments over the last day or so may have been a little out of character for me...I'm stuck here in South Carolina watching this shit unfold on TV. Since the storm hit, this is all I can think about, some stories have brought tears to my eyes...And I dont cry much...But I keep watching and hoping the situation will get better and every time I turn the channel it just looks like it's getting worse...I have been in contact with my friends in Miss. and NOLA and it hurts to even talk to these people...And I grew up with them.

I have NO idea how I would react if I weren't able to evacuate...So I apologize for judging the ones who couldn't leave...I've just been so frustrated that I'm stuck here not able to do anything, there are still people I haven't been able to reach..I am honestly a nervous wreck.

If my comments came off as racist or insensetive I'm sorry...

from what i've heard, PART of the lawlessness is because they are not dropping supplies..

i'm getting so much information from so many different sources.. but i've heard refugees on their way to the superdome in Houston are stopping in baton rouge and causing problems (carjackings, muggings, rioting).. i'm not sure what is fact and what is fiction, but i do feel it's very possible that the rest of louisiana could be affected by the angry evacuees.

here are a few things that my friends have been posting on another message board:

t is getting a little scary here in b.r. There are reports of looting and carjackings in Prairieville. We have heard a rumor that people with guns are on Essen Lane. People are being acosted at grocery stores for cash. There was an armed robbery in my neighborhood last night. All the cops seems to be in N.O. trying to relocate the gun toting evacuees here and to Houston. It is hard to beleive at a time like this that we are living in one of the wealthiest most civilized nations of the world.

a friend in the city i live in, lafayette (50 m. west of Baton Rouge) told me this:

I heard it on 93.7 earlier from someone who called in, and my best friend Will has been volunteering at the Cajun Dome since it opened up for evacuees. He was asked to guard one of the big food closets in the Dome because people want 10 of everything instead of just one. They feared it might be because peeps are trying to stock up so they can leave the Dome on foot. People are getting very restless and aggitated, and anxiety is high. I was just passing on info that I heard, but none of it is confirmed by news or law enforcement agencies.

here's the only article i could find, it's really not much help: http://2theadvocate.com/livepages4/845.shtml

everyone out here is pretty paranoid

people will get what they need and fuck the rest of the world who tells them they cant...

if there was no water, food, clothes for you to wear and a store front was open... fuck... you'd be the first one in there getting the stuff you'd be needing for the next couple of weeks

so everyone who's being judgemental... remember, dont talk shit unless you're living it!!

except. saraday

NEW ORLEANS – The evacuation of the Superdome was suspended Thursday after shots were reported fired at a military helicopter and arson fires broke out outside the arena. No immediate injuries were reported.

The scene at the Superdome became increasingly chaotic, with thousands of people rushing from nearby hotels and other buildings, hoping to climb onto the buses taking evacuees from the arena, officials said. Paramedics became increasingly alarmed by the sight of people with guns.

Richard Zeuschlag, chief of the ambulance service that was handling the evacuation of sick and injured people from the Superdome, said it was suspending operations "until they gain control of the Superdome."

He said shots were fired at a military helicopter over the Superdome before daybreak.

He said the National Guard told him that it was sending 100 military police officers to restore order.

"That's not enough," Zeuschlag said. "We need a thousand."

Lt. Col. Pete Schneider of the Louisiana National Guard said the military - which was handling the evacuation of the able-bodied from the Superdome - had suspended operations, too, because fires set outside the arena were preventing buses from getting close enough to pick up people.

He said tens thousands of people started rushing out of other buildings when they saw buses pulling up and hoped to get on. But the immediate focus was on evacuating people from the Superdome, and the other refugees were left to mill around.

Zeuschlag said paramedics were calling him and crying for help because they were so scared of people with guns at the Superdome. He also said that during the night, when a medical evacuation helicopter tried to land at a hospital in the outlying town of Kenner, the pilot reported 100 people were on the landing pad, some with guns.

"He was frightened and would not land," Zeuschlag.

Archived