katrina

saraday

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Man... the mayor is pretty unhappy with this whole "help" thing not happening. I still can't understand how they didn't forsee this destruction... I mean, they KNEW it was a huge storm... just imagine the people that DID prepare well and got out of there in time... they're sitting back thinking, wtf why didn't all those other people do the same... I realise that there may have been a money/transportation issue for some... but in a time like this, when you KNOW shit's gonna be destroyed, you have to let your gaurd down a little and maybe let that crackhead, or struggler, ride with you... I just can't understand, I mean, it seems like people were standing still watching the storm surge hit.

What's that guy's name on here, I think it's

holycrapRUN

so, my cousin is dead. shot. he was 17. i wish i knew who did it. i'm taking leave off work and going down to baton rouge to be with my family that lives there. my other cousin (his brother) is in houston, i'm going to go there after b.r., then we are going back into N.O. to find some other relatives we haven't heard from, into the calliope and magnolia area. Last he heard, some of them were stuck there, so that's where we'll look first, if they aren't at the astro/superdomes. I've heard conflicting reports on these roaving bands of gunmen. So 2 guns are on my checklist, just in case. basic dry foods, canned foods, water, clothes. extra gas. flashlights, batteries. rope. bandages, antibiotic creams, hydrogen peroxide. i think that's about it. I will leave probably *tonight. No camera, i've had enough pictures and i'm not really in the mood to take any myself.

fuck bush.

*i will also need some of those big army rubber boots for the water. where would i go to get the good kind? army/navy store? i'm in florida, it's wet here, but not that wet...

Originally posted by Seldoon@Sep 2 2005, 12:22 PM

so, my cousin is dead. shot. he was 17. i wish i knew who did it. i'm taking leave off work and going down to baton rouge to be with my family that lives there. my other cousin (his brother) is in houston, i'm going to go there after b.r., then we are going back into N.O. to find some other relatives we haven't heard from, into the calliope and magnolia area. Last he heard, some of them were stuck there, so that's where we'll look first, if they aren't at the astro/superdomes. I've heard conflicting reports on these roaving bands of gunmen. So 2 guns are on my checklist, just in case. basic dry foods, canned foods, water, clothes. extra gas. flashlights, batteries. rope. bandages, antibiotic creams, hydrogen peroxide. i think that's about it. I will leave probably tommorrow. No camera, i've had enough pictures and i'm not really in the mood to take any myself.

fuck bush.

i'm so sorry to hear this. please be careful.

Bush is going to get a puff piece, it's already happening on CNN.com. Pictures of him kissing storm survivors in Biloxi, saying that the results of the relief efforts are "unacceptable". He won't take the blame for this, it'll be passed on to people whose budget he cut and there won't be any questioning of this.

red_helicopter2.jpg

"Notice the nicely positioned Coast Guard helicopters in the background, not rescuing people and delivering supplies. Notice the uniformed personnel standing at attention in the back, providing a nice backdrop to Bush, not rescuing people and delivering supplies.

Again, politics trumps everything in this administration. "

-Dailykos

Puff pieces, publicity shots, anything they can do to keep the American public brainwashed and under their spell.

More from DailyKos:

LET ME GET THIS STRAIGHT...

by Bill in Portland Maine

Fri Sep 2nd, 2005 at 07:01:54 PDT

Just in case you missed the amazing performance of the Republican leadership yesterday...

President George W. Bush said, "I don't think anyone anticipated the breach of the levees." Well, no one except the entire world and even Mr. Bill.

-

Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice went shoe shopping on Fifth Avenue, but not before she played tennis and yukked it up at Spamalot.

-

The Viceroy in charge of Homeland Security, Michael Chertoff said "We're much better prepared than we've ever been." I'm not sure if that was before or after he reminded us that September is National Preparedness Month, so be sure to stock up on duct tape.

-

The head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, Michael D. Brown leapt into action, mustering all the emergency disaster management skills he learned as a lawyer for the International Arabian Horse Association Legal Department (from which he was fired). His money quote: "Paula, the federal government did not even know about the Convention Center people until today."

-

The Speaker of the House, Dennis Hastert said, eh, maybe we should just forget all about rebuilding New Orleans. Because it might cost money and stuff.

-

The Pentagon, headed by Donald Rumsfeld, reassured America that, yes, the Country music hoedown with Clint Black on September 11th is still on, pard'ner! And maybe we'll even break the record for the longest line dance.

-

The head of the Republican National Committee, Ken Mehlman, sent out an email stressing that now---for God's sake, people---NOW is the time when we must repeal that which is causing our country to go down the tubes: the estate tax.

-

And Vice President Dick Cheney was still on vacation.

-

Lookie lookie, Planet Earth, at the leadership of the United States of America. What amazing feats will they dazzle us with today??

Billmon has an excellent list of hurricane relief organizations here.

If you have any cheers and jeers, this is your thread. Have a safe Labor Day weekend.

Now this is an interesting read...

National Geographic ran this article in 2004*.2004! It gives me the

chills!!!!!

By Joel K. Bourne, Jr.

"It was a broiling August afternoon in New Orleans, Louisiana, the

Big Easy, the City That Care Forgot. Those who ventured outside moved as

if they were swimming in tupelo honey. Those inside paid silent homage

to the man who invented air-conditioning as they watched TV "storm

teams" warn of a hurricane in the Gulf of Mexico. Nothing surprising

there: Hurricanes in August are as much a part of life in this town as

hangovers on Ash Wednesday.

But the next day the storm gathered steam and drew a bead on the city.

As the whirling maelstrom approached the coast, more than a million

people evacuated to higher ground. Some 200,000 remained, however*the

car-less, the homeless, the aged and infirm, and those die-hard New

Orleanians who look for any excuse to throw a party.

The storm hit Breton Sound with the fury of a nuclear warhead, pushing

a deadly storm surge into Lake Pontchartrain. The water crept to the top

of the massive berm that holds back the lake and then spilled over.

Nearly 80 percent of New Orleans lies below sea level*more than eight

feet below in places*so the water poured in. A liquid brown wall

washed over the brick ranch homes of Gentilly, over the clapboard houses

of the Ninth Ward, over the white-columned porches of the Garden

District, until it raced through the bars and strip joints on Bourbon

Street like the pale rider of the Apocalypse. As it reached 25 feet

(eight meters) over parts of the city, people climbed onto roofs to

escape it.

Thousands drowned in the murky brew that was soon contaminated by

sewage and industrial waste. Thousands more who survived the flood later

perished from dehydration and disease as they waited to be rescued. It

took two months to pump the city dry, and by then the Big Easy was

buried under a blanket of putrid sediment, a million people were

homeless, and 50,000 were dead. It was the worst natural disaster in the

history of the United States.

When did this calamity happen? It hasn't*yet. But the doomsday

scenario is not far-fetched. The Federal Emergency Management Agency

lists a hurricane strike on New Orleans as one of the most dire threats

to the nation, up there with a large earthquake in California or a

terrorist attack on New York City. Even the Red Cross no longer opens

hurricane shelters in the city, claiming the risk to its workers is too

great.

"The killer for Louisiana is a Category Three storm at 72 hours before

landfall that becomes a Category Four at 48 hours and a Category Five at

24 hours*coming from the worst direction," says Joe Suhayda, a retired

coastal engineer at Louisiana State University who has spent 30 years

studying the coast. Suhayda is sitting in a lakefront restaurant on an

actual August afternoon sipping lemonade and talking about the chinks in

the city's hurricane armor. "I don't think people realize how precarious

we are,"

Suhayda says, watching sailboats glide by. "Our technology is great

when it works. But when it fails, it's going to make things much

worse."

Scientists have been warning about this for decades, Louisiana chose to

ignore it.

scientists are saying a lot of things people are ignoring.

shit about oil running out, completely, one day in the not-so-far-off-fututre

shit about global warming

shit about bleached coral reefs

shit about the natural disaster/global warming link

fucking disgusting.

let's not forget, we live in the land of passing the buck.

seeing those pics of dubya, doing nothing, makes me sick to my stomach

i say ship everyone who voted for him to the epicenter and leave em

aaarggh!!!

Thank you for the support. We'll be ok, with luck. Bug repellent, fuck I would have forgotten about that, thanks for the reminder. A raft, I considered this...I might bring one, but I think most of this will be done walking. I don't have the heart to turn anyone down to get in the raft when I see them, and there will only be so much room. Axe, yeah, forgot that too. Those links were helpful for the boots, thanks. I sent my cousin some money via western union, somehow he managed to keep his id on him. He got a hotel room for a couple nights and some new clothes to change into. He said he was wearing the same stank, dirty shit for the past 3 days with no shower. He straight now. He said his golds still twinklin haha. He makin little jokes to keep from snappin, so i'm laughin with him. He is fucked up bout his brother for real. So am I.

On foot? The waters pretty high.... over 80% of the city is flooded Seldoon. I don't know how much walking you could do out there. I know it would be hard.... you may get jacked for a raft. I still think they shoulda dropped airmattresses and shit over the area.

I'll send ya some money too if you need it.

Actually I poked through some of those sites I listed and didn't see any military waders. Though you may find other useful military equipment. You may have to look at fishing supply shops for waders. Or concrete worker boots... those would be sturdy. I have a pair myself... though they don't go past the knee.

Here's a preparedness link you might want to look at:

http://www.redcross.org/services/disaster/...,0_500_,00.html

Don't forget to plan your route.... You can do like CNN is and looking at Google satellite imagery. I suppose you could for the most part plan your route that way and hopefully it is in real time so you can see obstructions and flooding you may have to avoid. And you are going to have to ask the locals for working routes of ingress and egress.

*Remember you might be jacked for your car on your way to NO, and you may get jacked for a raft while in NO. Hopefully within the day the situation will be more stabilized.

Originally posted by Seldoon@Sep 2 2005, 02:03 PM

Thank you for the support. We'll be ok, with luck. Bug repellent, fuck I would have forgotten about that, thanks for the reminder. A raft, I considered this...I might bring one, but I think most of this will be done walking. I don't have the heart to turn anyone down to get in the raft when I see them, and there will only be so much room. Axe, yeah, forgot that too. Those links were helpful for the boots, thanks. I sent my cousin some money via western union, somehow he managed to keep his id on him. He got a hotel room for a couple nights and some new clothes to change into. He said he was wearing the same stank, dirty shit for the past 3 days with no shower. He straight now. He said his golds still twinklin haha. He makin little jokes to keep from snappin, so i'm laughin with him. He is fucked up bout his brother for real. So am I.

this link should be helpful... i just found it today..

satellite images of water/wind damage.. you can literally zoom in onto any neighborhood in the city and see what you're up against (waterwise).. its sorta complicated to use.. you have to know where to look.. i dunno... it's helpful once you figure it out..

http://ngs.woc.noaa.gov/katrina/KATRINA0000.HTM

most of new orleans/metairie is located in the square with most of the blue (from the lake).. new orleans east is the square to the right of it..