katrina

saraday

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I posted this in the wordplay thread...but its probably a better place for it in here.

Struggle to plug the breached levees

With most of the city under water, Army engineers struggled to plug New Orleans’ breached levees with giant sandbags and concrete barriers, and authorities drew up plans to clear out the tens of thousands of remaining people and practically abandon the below-sea-level city.

msn article

^ top of page 3.

Anyone else wondering about the future of New Orleans? This was one hurricane. How many hurricanes come through that area every year? Seeing as how we just last year entered into that 10 - 15 year cycle of heavy hurricane activity...I think it looks really bleak for a city that is below sea level. Mother nature can only be harnessed for so long.

An account about what happening at the Superdome from a CNN blog. ( cnn )

A scene of anarchy'

Editor's Note: CNN correspondents report back on what they are seeing in New Orleans

Chaos at the convention center

I don't think I really have the vocabulary for this situation.

We just heard a couple of gunshots go off. There's a building smoldering a block away. People are picking through whatever is left in the stores right now. They are walking the streets because they have nowhere else to go.

Right now, I'm a few blocks away from the New Orleans Convention Center area. We drove through there earlier, and it was unbelievable. Thousands and thousands and thousands of people spent the night sleeping on the street, on the sidewalk, on the median.

The Convention Center is a place that people were told to go to because it would be safe. In fact, it is a scene of anarchy.

There is absolutely nobody in control. There is no National Guard, no police, no information to be had.

The Convention Center is next to the Mississippi River. Many people who are sleeping there feel that a boat is going to come and get them. Or they think a bus is going to come. But no buses have come. No boats have come. They think water is going come. No water has come. And they have no food.

As we drove by, people screamed out to us -- "Do you have water? Do you have food? Do you have any information for us?"

We had none of those.

Probably the most disturbing thing is that people at the Convention Center are starting to pass away and there is simply nothing to do with their bodies. There is nowhere to put them. There is no one who can do anything with them. This is making everybody very, very upset.

top.katrina.34.ap.jpg

"A man covers the body of a man who died at the convention center in New Orleans."

Originally posted by SteveAustin@Sep 1 2005, 05:27 PM

Anyone else wondering about the future of New Orleans? This was one hurricane. How many hurricanes come through that area every year? Seeing as how we just last year entered into that 10 - 15 year cycle of heavy hurricane activity...I think it looks really bleak for a city that is below sea level. Mother nature can only be harnessed for so long.

I've been thinking about this too

WTF are they going to do once all the water is cleared out..

rebuild? abandon? is it even worth it to try ? crazy shit

Originally posted by fatalist@Sep 1 2005, 11:45 AM

I'm sure they will rebuild... just like they always do on the coast of florida. The land is too valuable. I they'll just need to figure out a better solution for the flooding issue. if there is one.

Oh...I'm sure they'll rebuild as well...but is that really a good idea? It seems like the possibility of it happening again in the next 10 years is pretty high. At what point does the price of rebuilding exceed its worth?

i haven't had anything constructive to say only that i'm praying and thinking about you all and hope that you find your friends and loved ones...

i paid $2.97 (from $2.85) a gallon to fill up my car today, but i know it is NOTHING compared to what you are going through...be careful out there and may God watch over you.

it's terrible how we have all the resources in the world, but can't help our own people.

Guest fr8lover
Originally posted by nomadawhat@Sep 1 2005, 05:28 PM

There is absolutely nobody in control. There is no National Guard, no police, no information to be had.

top.katrina.34.ap.jpg

"A man covers the body of a man who died at the convention center in New Orleans."

what. the. fuck. to me, this is one of the most unbelieveable things i've ever seen/read in my life. from the looks of cnn video, thousands of people are just sitting literally in shit and disease without food waiting for ANYBODY to help them, but getting nothing. trying to imagine a scene where strewn about dead bodies lay next to crying babies who haven't eaten in days on a main thoroughfare in NEW fucking ORLEANS, LOUISIANA USA is appalling.

from the bottom to the top, nobody is doing enough to help those stranded out there. they gave enough warning to those with the means and money to get out of the city, but left the poor and incapacitated to fend for themselves. before i saw what was going on, i figured "hell, if you didn't get out when they told you to it's your fault," but now i'm ashamed of saying that after seeing the lack of real aid in evacuating many parts of the city.

my relatives in baton rouge say it's insane with the amount of refugees trying to get food and shelter, and even there, all hell is breaking loose because people are so angry and scared.

un fucking believeable....at least it's nice to know that our dear and beloved prez finally decided after a couple of days of tragedy to finally get his ass off the ranch and back to DC.

Saints forced to wait, watch from CaliforniaAssociated Press

Related Video:

Katrina Has Forced the Saints Out of New Orleans

FREMONT, Calif. -- Though the Saints are safe in California while Hurricane Katrina ravages New Orleans, receiver Joe Horn plans to use some of the team's three days off this weekend to visit his beleaguered hometown.

"I was going to keep that quiet," Horn said Wednesday in the lobby of the Saints' team hotel on the eve of their preseason finale against the Oakland Raiders. "I'm going to try to help, donate money, try to feed the families who have been in the Superdome, do whatever it takes.

"If I have to spend a million dollars to get food, anything monetarily, I'll do that."

According to general manager Mickey Loomis, the Saints will fly directly to San Antonio following the game against the Raiders, and will remain there to prepare for the season opener Sept. 11 at Carolina.

During a team meeting Monday, a few players questioned whether playing a game at this time was appropriate -- but most players thought it might be a morale booster for the city flooded by the hurricane.

"It might be a ray of light for the people who can't get out of town," tight end Shad Meier said.

"As football players, as a team, I think this game is going to be good for us," Horn said. "We've got to give our fans something, something to look forward to. At least they'll know that we're going to go out there and play as hard and the best we can to show the fans that we love them.

"In this business, the NFL must go on. That's just the way it is. The games are going to be played, regardless."

Loomis said the Saints will use one of the same fields they practiced on last year when they fled to San Antonio to avoid Hurricane Ivan.

It's still uncertain whether the Superdome will be ready Sept. 18 for the home game against the New York Giants. If the Superdome can't be cleaned up and repaired by then, the game would have to be moved to an as-yet-undetermined location. Tiger Stadium, LSU's home field in Baton Rouge, is a possibility, as is Reliant Stadium in Houston and the Alamodome in San Antonio.

"It doesn't look very good," Loomis said about the chances of playing in the Superdome in 10 days. "We haven't got all our possible sites listed yet. From an emotional standpoint, we'd like to play the Sept. 18th game in Louisiana."

Most of the players and other members of the traveling party didn't know whether they had sustained property damage because phones using the 504 area code don't get or receive calls. All the players can do is watch the cable news channels in their hotel rooms.

"You have people who are trying to survive and unrealistic looters who are trying to get sneakers and shirts to put on because it's wet out there," Horn said after watching TV accounts of stores being cleaned out by mobs in New Orleans. "I'm not upset by people breaking in and getting things.

"To take things like DVD players, TVs and things like that, that's just crazy. But I would be doing the same thing if I were in New Orleans and my children needed to eat or I had to go to the mall to get a shirt for them to wear. Guess what, you'd be calling Joe Horn [a] looter. The businesses there aren't going to sell anything, because it's all going to be under water. If I owned a business, I'd be telling the people to come get it."

Joe Horn is the man. :king: One of my favorite Saints over the last few years..

Outside the Convention Center, the sidewalks were packed with people without food, water or medical care, and with no sign of law enforcement. Thousands of storm refugees had been assembling outside for days, waiting for buses that did not come.

At least seven bodies were scattered outside, and hungry, desperate people who were tired of waiting broke through the steel doors to a food service entrance and began pushing out pallets of water and juice and whatever else they could find.

An old man in a chaise lounge lay dead in a grassy median as hungry babies wailed around him. Around the corner, an elderly woman lay dead in her wheelchair, covered up by a blanket, and another body lay beside her wrapped in a sheet.

``I don't treat my dog like that,'' 47-year-old Daniel Edwards said as he pointed at the woman in the wheelchair. ``I buried my dog.'' He added: ``You can do everything for other countries but you can't do nothing for your own people. You can go overseas with the military but you can't get them down here.''

http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/ns/news/story....off&floc=NW_1-T

well there are plenty of theories and assumptions (crack, military) of the government trying to kill off blacks in our history..... this is going to be yet another one.

it is pretty unbelievable that something isn't be done, or that it is taking so long.

as people have alluded to, the media is focusing more on the poor and the minorities and all the bad things they are doing and it wouldn't surprise me to think the government may be playing the same game... lets make these people look "savage" by making them fight for survival by taking our time and not taking control.

Originally posted by nomadawhat@Sep 1 2005, 03:40 PM

well there are plenty of theories and assumptions (crack, military) of the government trying to kill off blacks in our history..... this is going to be yet another one.

I hate to admit it...but honestly...that thought popped into my head...especially when reading about how fucked up shit is...without any apparent government leadership.

Is New Orleans in a blue county?

Originally posted by SteveAustin@Sep 1 2005, 02:15 PM

the fact that there are no troops or visible leadership is really fucked up. where the fuck is the FEMA presence?

truly fucked up all the help we can provide in Thailand for tsunami victims and absolutely nothing for our own poor impoverished people.

actually my homie is part of FEMA..and he is flying down on friday from n.y.... he says they need alot of help though..

what about other countries helping us??

i dunno i'm broke as fuck but im gonna donate money to the red cross.. every lil bit counts..

This Women at my job today was telling me that women were getting raped in the superdome.out in the open and noone did anything. she started crying and got real emotional about it.

does anyone have any real good links to articles/threads/whatever about the things that are going on in the streets. on the news they are only talking about what needs to be done.they arent telling you anything about whats realy going on in the streets

Originally posted by alure@Sep 1 2005, 04:07 PM

actually my homie is part of FEMA..and he is flying down on friday from n.y.... he says they need alot of help though..

alure...you know I'm not bagging on you or your homie when I say this...but what the fuck? Tomorrow? Isn't this an emergency? Isn't this day 4 without food or water?

nomada...yeah its red...but I found a map showing votes by county...and it looked like it might have been blue...I was just wondering if anyone else knew positively one way or the other.

I really should be working right now...oh well.