bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest HESHIANDET

yeah entry level (or comfort) bikes look like mountain bikes but are far from them. you might have to bump your price range up a hundred or two to get an atual mountain bike.

Check on ebay for used bikes in your price range. It's a good place to start.

Siloe, check with a local bike shop that takes trade-in bikes and/or buys and sells used bikes. There is a blue book for bikes. I saw one at one of my shops' locations the other day. Take the bike with you so they can figure out exactly what it is and it's condition.

Man oh man... the legs just keep getting weaker and weaker. Still haven't rode much lately. though I have been riding my fixie back and forth to work. It's starting to tax on my knees. I might have to give up on the track bars and go with traditional and slap a brake on there. Has anyone ever used a fixed gear for winter training? If so... what ratio did you ride? This is something that I'm considering as an option. Riding it on flat road days.

I'm also trying to get on this local team but they want a race resume. I'm only a cat4 with one year of racing in my belt... how the hell do I do a race resume? Has anyone done this before? Do I list my years of BMX racing? I tallied up a list of decent results and I don't have many... seven to be exact. I really want to ride for these guys, and they have cat5 and cat4 racers, but a resume seems weird to me.

whaddup lance... what is he, 32?

joker man, i'm not sure if i'm gonna get a race in this year... i want to do it really bad, but the calendar is really winding down quick... i want to do it for myself sure, but also for you guys who have encouraged me...

even if i don't race, some things that i learned from fast riding with the big boys this year are:

-i'm a good climber

-eat on the bike and stay hydrated

-always bring a fucking rain cape in the mountains

-i really need to work on developing more leg power. my sprint is decent for where i'm at right now, and i can spin well, but as far as taking real long fast pulls at the front in the big ring, 25mph+, i just can't sustain that long...

-therefore, more tempo riding

-therefore hit the gym for leg presses, squats, etc.

-need to develop better cornering skills (bikehandling in general)

-remember to ride at the front more (lacked confidence to do so much of this year even though i was fitter than most)

-keep up with the fixed gear... side note, this old school pro racer from around my way is always cheering me on when he sees me on the track bike. he loves it. he rode for raleigh, and he always says, everytime i talk to him, "riding fixed will make you a great rider. screw all the new crappy programs, screw the new bikes, riding a fixed gear makes you a good rider. it's the only way to build power at all rpms, which will make you a good rider..." thought you dudes would like that.

Joker-

as far as the resume, I would think something semi-casual would suffice. Don't you have to submit something up upgrade from cat5 to cat4? I would imagine they want something similar. If they don't know you too well, they probably just want to make sure you're not some clown who just wants a good deal on some new equipment and threads that will disappear a month into the season. Our team has had a couple of dudes do that shit. They get 2 free jerseys, and order some shit at cost, and then you never see the fuckers again. We've actually instituted a "trial" period of 1 year for that reason. Seems nothing's simple anymore.

As for the fixie, I like to run a 42/16 on mine. We've got an old commuter airport downtown where I live. There's a 3.5 mile loop around it that's dead flat. Headwind down one stretch, tailwind down the other. Perfect for early season fixie riding.

Joker...here is an example of a resume. Mine doesn't compare to it.

http://www.magenlong.com/resume.html

As far as listing the BMX results...I'd only do it if you have some nice results. List it as a discipline and be sure to note how long you've been racing. I don't think 7 good results in one year is a bad thing.

I haven't been on my road bike since the last spoke breakage. I guess I figured it was time for a little break. I rode my SS mtb (road geared) on one of my road rides the other week. Wow, that ride hurt more than I expected it to. I don't really see me doing that anymore.

Originally posted by alkaline

Check on ebay for used bikes in your price range. It's a good place to start.

Siloe, check with a local bike shop that takes trade-in bikes and/or buys and sells used bikes. There is a blue book for bikes. I saw one at one of my shops' locations the other day. Take the bike with you so they can figure out exactly what it is and it's condition.

Thanks yeah..Im going to take it in on pay day and check out some new handlebars..thanks for the heads up..its so fucking fun to ride..

Originally posted by --zeSto--

jesus steve!

I clicked the link before reading that "Mine doesn't compare...

I thought it was you for a second. That would have been confusing!

ha-ha.

yeah that would definitely be confusing. As bad ass as she sounds...I think I'll pass on being an 18 year old girl.

I'm out there on the web somewhere....but I'm not telling where. I've caught myself almost making reference a few times.

what are you riding these days?

Guest --zeSto--

good luck man! (dont get beaten by any 18 year old girls)

* and who ever is linking to jetinflate.com please fix your link.

It keeps popping up a password window and it's driving me loony.

Thanks for all the advice about the resume thing everybody! I made one up and took it in yesterday. I talked to one of the coaches and he seemed pretty cool about it. All he said while looking at it was "Oh! So you raced a lot this year and last." and "You trained a lot with Nick... he's good." And then we talked about other crap unrelated. He never really looke dme in the eye unless I was talking but that could be a personality trait. I won't be upset if I don't ride for them but it would really help my riding if I did. Every race I've been in the team seems to really work well together and for one another. While my team is totally out for self.

Tearz... if you don't get to race this year, don't sweat it. You'll be that much more ready come next season. You and I both have the same problems with sprinting. I can spin and go but I eventually give out before I should. I have very little endurance. Tempo riding is what I should be concentrating on this winter as well. As for the fixed riding, a lot of guys do that over the winter here. It really cleans up your pedalling mechanics and everything. Helps you get the most out of your rotations. I'll probably set mine up for the winter because I'm gonna need it.

Areankay... I know people who swear by bullhorn bars and I know people who hate 'em. It's really a matter of what feels good to you. Though $50 is a tad bit to spend just to find out you dislike something. Look on ebay for something cheaper or ask around for someone trying to get rid of a pair. I rode them a few times to see if I wanted to rock them... I like the way the felt, being down low and stuff but I could tell that I would end up going over the bars on many occasions. One way to find out if you even like the position is to take an old pair of road bars and cut the curl off just to the point of curling. Then turn them upside down and mount them on your bike. It's almost the same... just not as styling.

I haven't ridden in a while. I'm working 10 hour days at this new shop. It's cool, but by the time I get off of work, it's dark. I need to get a Niterider, but they have this thing about their discount. I have to work there for 30 days before I can get it. Not to mention that I need to buy other things first. Maybe I'll ride this Sunday.

On a lighter note ... I got a chance to ride the new Specialized Epic. Let me tell you, if you are a non-believer, get on the thing and try it for yourself. It does exactly what they say it will do. The damn thing rides like a hardtail. When you hit something, it turns into a bump-sucking monster. At some point, this could be my new bike ... although I'll have to get the S-Works version.

Guest COMBUSTIBLE
Originally posted by HESHIANDET

hmmmm, tarck bikes just don't have brakes, thats the way it is. a decent rider can stop just as well w/o them.

How do you stop a bike without brakes (beside hitting a curb, of course)?

Guest --zeSto--

how to stop a bike without brakes.... ?

put you feet on the ground and lean back. or just coast it out.

I see some bike couriers on track bikes and it scares me.

tight brakes are essential for city riding.

Originally posted by AREANKAY

give me some input on these http://www.performancebike.com/shop/cboPro...e.html?SKU=2846 i really dislike road bike handlebars and i saw these anyone ride with bars like this on there bike or have? how is it?

check these out:

http://www.rivendellbicycles.com/webalog/h...tape/16027.html

I know, I know, 50 bones is a lot for a pair of bars. But you can ride these suckers all day long. I hate standard drop bars. Any shop can order them from their Quality catalog and get them within the week.

Originally posted by alkaline

On a lighter note ... I got a chance to ride the new Specialized Epic. Let me tell you, if you are a non-believer, get on the thing and try it for yourself. It does exactly what they say it will do. The damn thing rides like a hardtail. When you hit something, it turns into a bump-sucking monster. At some point, this could be my new bike ... although I'll have to get the S-Works version.

i cant wait to get these in my shop. a couple people from my shop went to the specialized open house party for the epic and said the same thing. it works! it may also be my next xc bike in the spring. if not that a giant nrs 1.

Guest COMBUSTIBLE

Alright. Here's the deal. I'm in the market for a high-quality road bike but I am, unfortunately, not an expert on them. I ride a lot recreationally but have recently felt the need to really get serious. Since it seems that some of you heads out there are well-informed on this topic, might someone suggest a good bike? I've been saving for a while now, so I am capable of spending $2000. I like the Bianchis (good, clean styling), but at this point I need (at least) a few unbiased suggestions. Style, functionality, durabitlity, and reputation are, of course, factors that will be taken into account before making such a major purchase. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

i strongly recomend getting a specialized road bike. a 2003 specialized bike. specialized is trying very hard to make a comeback in the road market after investing so much in mtn bikes for a while now, they used to be a real strong force in road bikes a few years back. anyways, what this means to you as a consumer is they are packing in the value this year like no other company. for $1000 you can get a Allez elite, a aluminum road bike with full shimano 105 groupo and carbon fiber fork and seatpost. i would suggest getting the $1600 allez comp. its a columbus aluminum frame, full ultegra, and carbon seatpost and fork. no ther company will offer you such a great bike at this price. this is my 2 cents. if i were gonna buy a road bike i would get the allez comp.