bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

alright i;m sure these questions have been answered somewhere in this thread but i just don't have time to read all 60pages of this thread so if anyone could help thatd be great

first.hopefully i'll find out in the next day or so if i got a job as a messenger and i was just wondering if any of you have been messengers in the la area and exactly what i could expect in terms of pay. attitudes from other messengers and the average distance each day..i'm assuming 50 or so miles?

second.what exactly is the advantage of a fixed gear bike over a mountain bike because i've heard a lot of mountain bikes sucks talk lately but i just rode my $400 GT for over a 1000 miles and it performed excellently.but i'm lookin to buy a new bike in a little bit and i just wanna know why if at all a fixed gear bike is better

last. if any of you have been messengers in the la area could you email me with the names of good companies because so if i dont get this job i can check out others.

thanks a lot

well had my first two cyclocross races of the season this weekend...

sat. deleware well after driving up from va at 5am and getting out of the car and having it be 15degrees colder and a heavy heany mist/drizzle i guess you could say..i was in for some fun...my dad went first and distroyed his age group..my dad 51 won the 45+ age group...then it was my turn after 4 other races aready over with the course was nothing but mudd. the course was full of tricky off camber(sp) turns and the nice long mudd run up. well i raced with the elites yeah i had tim johnson and mark gullickson lined up next to me at the start...i felt pretty good i was a bit intimidated by the big names next to me...so the race is off..i have never had to start a race so fast in my life...by the time i was in the first real turn i was already in the last 5 of the riders... the first two laps where nothing but chasing and crashing and trying not hit the person in front of you..it was good clean fun. i worked my way up a bit and settled into a nice rythem...i was going as fast as i could the whole race...i dropped my chain and fell a few times which didn't help me that much well come 2 laps to go i here the anouncer saying the leaders are coming up..(in the elite UCI races they pullyou if you get lapped by the leaders) so with 2 laps to go here come tim johnson and mark gullickson i was about 2 min. from finishing my second to last lap and i didn't want to get pulled so i faught like hell to say on their back wheels and coming to the finish line i spinted past them to stay in the race....i finished my last lap feeling good...i ended up finishing 19th out of 36 starters with one lap down to the leader. I felt good it was my first race at this high of a level and i can't really get down on myself b/c i got lapped b/c those two were so far a head that third place didn't lap me...

sunday...

monkey hill...a huge race the course had a nice cobble stone climb and some nice run ups but had a fair amount of flat sections... my dad did it agian whooping up on the 45+ winning the race...then it was my turn once agian and i didn't get off to a good start i was on the back part of the course when they anouced that the race was starting in 2 min. by the time i got to the start they were already lined up and i had to quickly get my legs warmers off and just as i got the last one off the race started i was the last one up the first hill and i had to chase like hell to get on the back of the last rider...the first lap was really backed up and was hard to move up i passed a few riders on the first run up and some more on the climb i tryed to settle into a rythem but i had a nice crash just as i was settling in that kinda messed everything else...and the combination of the race before and having to catch up the whole race i never really got ahead and i blew on the second to last lap...i don't even remember riding it...the tim johnson got me agian on the last lap...i ended up finishing 30th out of 45 riders i was last person to finish the rest either got pulled or dropped out... i don't mind getting last as long as i finish...i was a bit disapointed with sunday but what can you do...i just have to train a bit more and race everyopertunity i can get at the highest level to get better...next weekend i'll be in reston va...i hope they get the sniper by then or he likes guys in spandex...

Originally posted by HESHIANDET

you know why i wasn't at t-town swap man? cause i was at my piece of shit fucking shop. long story short im quitting as soon as i get a bike out of them. they're the most horrid people on the face of the earth, and i encourage anyone in the philly area to come on in and shoplift. grrrrrrrr

BWAHAHAHA...I lift stuff from my shop almost every day.:)

Originally posted by alkaline

Where you been, haus? I heard you got an apartment. Did it come with a phone? I think you know where I'm going with that. I'll be at the race. I'm probably not racing either, but whatever. Maybe we can be a two-man team of chumps. I think Devilush and Kissmyass are going to be here with some friends. What did you score at the swapmeat? Anything from my list?

haha...last time I checked, you had my number too.

It's been raining for about a week and a half. I haven't ridden in a while. The last ride I went on was this annual thing that we have here in town. On the weekend of the October full moon, a shit-load of people (usually in the thousands) meet downtown in the middle of the night and do a 20 mile ride around town. This year there weren't as many people, as the rain kept a few people home, but a good turn-out none the less. It started pouring about a third of the way through the ride, but cleared up after about 30 minutes. Good times.

race number three...reston va...mac cup race

oh it was a beautiful day temp. in the lower 60's just warm enough to go with out the arm warmers...the course was good exept they got a tun of rain the end of last week and the flats through the grass were nothing but 4 inches of grass and mudd. I must say i think i am the slowest started EVER...god if i could only start out fast i think i could place a bit higher..but none the lest by the time we got the the top of the first hill i was sitting nice in the back 3..yeah it takes me half a lap to a lap for me to really get into it..i slowly make my way thought all slow rider and there is a nice climbing section i really pushed it on and past some 5 people...i was getting in a nice grove the race was starting to spread out...i slowly picked my way through the field one by one about 4 laps into the race a caught up with this kid bobby lee..he always beats me did last year at nationals but today was my dad...i jumped on his back wheel and man he wasn't going all that fast so i just hung on his back wheel for about half a lap and then droped him on the climbs i by the time i finished the lap i had about 20-25 sec. on him about a 3rd of the way into the 3rd lap to go i flated....but although i flated i must say the tufo tires are great...i was able to ride a third of the lap till the next pit area with the flat...i was running tubulars if i was running a clincher my race would of been over...my dad was ready for me with a spair bike and we made the switch i road the rest of the lap on my dad's bike and he had my bike ready for me at the next pit another clean swap..while all this was happening bobby lee and another rider caught and passed be by the time i got my bike back they had a good 25 sec. on my i had two laps to go...i could tell that bobby and the other guy really put the hammer down but i was able to catch them 2/3rds of the way through the lap and just took off...i could tell that bobby was hurting so i really put the heat on and was able to get a good 10sec on them half way through the last lap bobby blew and was out i kept myself up and just pushed it the rest of the lap and the other guy didn't have enough to catch me...i ended up 12th out of 33 riders...im happy with how i did i really wanted top ten tho..i think if i didn't flat i would of been able to get atleast 11th..

next weekend...lancaster PA...hesh how close is that to you? and then sun. RICHMOND VA...home turf...keep riding

these race reports get me excited. i did my first race yesterday, not knowing what to expect i was a bit nervous. as the race approached i gradually fell into a calm sorta what i feel like before a nite of bombing. zen like for lack of a better description. i, being a c class racer(beginner) was a little dismayed to learn that some a's and b's were doing my race just to warm up or kicks. but whatever. it was a fast start on a very nasty course, not havving rained here since may it was very dusty, soft loose dirt, on a cattle farm/dump. so we're ridding through many a cow pie and through alot of trash, mostly lumber, some with nails still in it. i felt good but somewhat dellerious(sp), but i was havving alot of fun, i couldnt help but smile and laugh at the comedy of small errors i kept makking. all in all it turned out well, i placed 5th out of about 15. i dont have anything else to compare it all too, this being my first race ever. i had alot of fun, i cant wait for the next race in a couple weeks.it was a great learning experience. all in all i am not sure if i will do another beginner or c class race, if i am going to have to race sandbagging b's and a's in my race i might as well just race with the b's. it will at least be a more honest race i think, and judging from how i felt ridding i think i could handle it with a bit more technical experience with training. well, heres to a good time everyone!(pint glass raised etc.)

awesome race reports guys!

I have to admit though, hearing about other people racing is killing me. Last week, I had friends staying at my pad and couldn't get away to race. This weekend I was sick as a dog. Seems like I always get sick on the weekend, I might take a sick day as payment for that bullshit.

Still waiting for my Ritchey wheels to come back. C'mon...how long does it take to rebuild a wheel?

Originally posted by SteveAustin

C'mon...how long does it take to rebuild a wheel?

i have no clue...did you send it to the company or is a shop doing it

dibs there is a big difference between the c's and b's the thing with the b's is that they go a bit faster and your looking at anywhere from 2 to 3 maybe 4 laps more of racing...but don't underestamate yourself..i say give it a shot..hell ive come in last befor..there's no shame as long as you finish

Originally posted by binnki

Nothin scaryer than a large black man riding up next to your car window in the geto on a pimpin bike and just stairing at you cus your white

Nothin scarier than a white dude in an Expedition pulling up next to your bike, that costs more than some cars, and just staring at you because you're skin is darker.

Steve, if you sent your wheels back to Ritchey, I hope you have an extra wheelset. Sometimes it takes a while for them to do warranty crap, as it's usually not a priority for them.

Originally posted by alkaline

Nothin scarier than a white dude in an Expedition pulling up next to your bike, that costs more than some cars, and just staring at you because you're skin is darker.

Steve, if you sent your wheels back to Ritchey, I hope you have an extra wheelset. Sometimes it takes a while for them to do warranty crap, as it's usually not a priority for them.

Nothin scarier then that SUV barrelling down on ya, because you don't belong on the road.

I don't have a spare wheelset yet. When I buy the cross bike set of wheels, then I'll be setup. Unfortunately I sent them back to Ritchey and even more unfortunate...it seems they are a low priority. I'm hoping they'll hook me up, so I don't really want to bitch, but damn....I'm going crazy without those wheels. My next paycheck supposedly has a bonus in it, so maybe I can go on ahead and pick up them wheels.

You should call them and put the pressure on them. Sometimes they will replace warranty stuff with something better (and brand new) if they know you're breathing down their necks. Better yet, have your LBS do it for you. Shops can sometimes speed the proccess along.

Does anybody ride/know anybody that rides Chris King single speed hubs. I'm debating between the Chris King, Spot, and Surley hubs for my mountain bike. Surleys are cheaper, but the Kings look oh so dope.

I've heard good things about the Chris King and Philwood hubs... haven't heard a thing about the others though.

haven't been riding at all. Not even a trainer indoors. Sucks. My wet weather bike is all in pieces but is ready to be put back together. I just won't have the time for another two weeks. Then it's winter training time and hopefully I'll lose some of this unwanted weight gain. Was able to pick up a pair of Mavic Cosmos for damn cheap so thanks Dibs! You gave me some links and they had them for a killer deal. I figured what better wheels could I get. The Ultrega with Open Pros were $20 less. So I figured why not go better for $20. Now I just need to find some cheap Look pedals and I'm set.

Anyone interested in a red Chrome bag? I have a R.E.Load bag on the way so I won't need the Chrome one anymore. Let me know. Hesh... do you know Ellie? If so you probably know a really good friend of mine, who's dating her.

Those race reports are great! I love reading that stuff because it gets me amped to go ride. Congrats on all the placings Cinnamon!

I hope everyone is well!

word on the cosmos joker! thats a great set of wheeles, i just worked on a set yesterday. hot hot hot. AL, those are all good hubs, but my vote is go for the kings, i see king hubs on peoples bikes that are so old, and the still spin like they were new, and look new still too. king is QUALITY!

Originally posted by cinnamon toast crunch804

dibs there is a big difference between the c's and b's the thing with the b's is that they go a bit faster and your looking at anywhere from 2 to 3 maybe 4 laps more of racing...but don't underestamate yourself..i say give it a shot..hell ive come in last befor..there's no shame as long as you finish

cinnamon, i agree with you. i stayed after my race to watch the b's and the a's. i felt that i was ridding just as well as some of the b's and not as strong as others. the a's no way. those dudes are fast. but i will do 1 more c race and then move up. it will be harder for sure, but we arent doin it cause its easy. thank you for the advice. and nice photos, give em hell out there!

Originally posted by HESHIANDET

you know why i wasn't at t-town swap man? cause i was at my piece of shit fucking shop. long story short im quitting as soon as i get a bike out of them. they're the most horrid people on the face of the earth, and i encourage anyone in the philly area to come on in and shoplift. grrrrrrrr

which shop might this be? a general vicinity is all you need supply. that and where you keep the Campy parts....

Guest HESHIANDET

i've had a nice talk w/ my boss and things are smooth sailing at he shop. so people are still welcome to ome and boost i guess, but its up to you to figure out which shop. hehehe.

oh yeah , I GOT A FUCKING BIKE! haha. colnago chic, all mirage w/ veloce shifters. $800. complete. i couldn't turn down the deal. its about 100000000 miles from what i wanted but whatever, i'm back on the road. i've been riding every morning since i got it. feels awesome. im super psyched, i don't even care that its cold out. shit i didn't even drink this weekend because i wanted to get up early and ride. i'll post pics tomorrow.

cinnamon, a few regulars at my shop are doing the same series as you. i showed the one guy the pictures you posted. he said he recognized you. email me for more.

and joker, yes. nothing more beyond a friendly introduction, but small world anyhow.

alkaline- chris king hubs are amazing. they engage very quickly (72 engagement points vs. 16 for shimano hubs), are light, strong and a bit simpler to service than most other hubs. i have a rear king hub (but not single speed) that's on an urban assault bike. it seems that after a year or so of bashing around on it, all the drops and pedal kicks stretch out the drive shell to the point that the hub will begin skipping on fast engagements (read: attemped gap to handrail resulting in gut-to-handrail impact). King has been most accomidating servicing the hub and have, hands down, the best and quickest tech/warranty support I've dealt with. They've rebuilt the hub twice and both times i had it back in my hands in under a week. Depite the eventual wear from frequent heavy use King hubs are my favorite.

having said that, i've had a paul single speed hub for close to three years that still works as well as it did out of the box. and it gets ridden almost daily, around 100 miles offroad per week in the non-snowy season, including downhill and n.shore-style trails.

A friend has a single speed disc Spot. Eric, the hubs owner, recently overshot a substantial stair gap, resulting in a 17 foot drop to flat. Eric split his chin on his stem but the bike was undamaged. Though he usually rides much more smoothly than he did in that incident, his hub still sees a lot of heavy use and has withstood lots of good sized hits.

The surley hubs are pretty decent too. Surley hubs, like many other surley products, are not especially light nor the most rugged of your options, but are still good value. if the bike is for XC and commuting i would expect the hub to be sufficient.

Guest PAYROLL

Break off the knowledge

I just sold my car because my brother and I are college roommates and have decided to share a car and split the costs required for insurance, gas, maintenance, etc. I figured I'd sell it because of the fact that I live in an urban area (for those of you who are city dwellers you know the traffic SUCKS) and the extra exercise never hurts. Anyway, I now have mad $$ (plus a trade in) to spend on a pro-quality bike (even though I'm not what you'd call a pro-quality rider) and have narrowed the candidates down to the Pegoretti Marcelo and the Fondriest Status Carb (HESH, I figured I'd take your advice and get something exotic to make riders jock, since I can now). I chose these two companies because of their stellar reputations in the quality, craftmanship, and engineering of their bikes. Both are made of Deda EOM 16.5 steel, have a full carbon fork and are pretty much in the same price league; however, the Fondriest comes with a monocoque seatstay made of F1-grade carbon fiber (supposedly more elastic and strong while weighing less than CF used on all other bikes) developed jointly by Fondriest and the Minardi F1 racing team. Given the fact that I'm not looking to be a peloton don, would the extra carbon on the Fondriest be that much more beneficial? The reason I ask is because I am a little concerned with the durability of carbon compared to that of steel. Also, is the shock-damping effect of CF as good as they say? Should I be concerned with the bond between the seatstays and the steel frame? Fondriest has taken an extra measure in this respect by electrostatically charging the frame before the carbon is epoxied in place, but the thought of gluing shit together on a bike is still a little unsettling. I'm sure both bikes are more than adequate for me, but for the amount of cash I'm about to drop it's ALWAYS good to get other opinions. So if any of you are knowlegable on the CF seatstay matter, please let me know something. This forum, of course, will not serve as the "be-all, end-all" of my research and deliberation, but every opinion helps. My advance thanks!

Guest HESHIANDET

payroll,

im geeked on pegoretti's like there is no tomorrow. hads down that is an amazing bike. the finish and paint alone are worth every fucking penny. with that said it looks like your looking at a price range between 3 and 4 G's. for that coing take a look at the colnago master X-light. its steel and its a head turner. cost you just under 3G's "fully equpied front to back like WHOA". there are other bikes also, check out LOOK, and Merckx to name 2. Torelli and Mondinico's also are SUPERBLY crafted and are custom made to your measurements. shit man, go ride a litespeed to. i rode one and it was fucking amazing. for a box bike it was perfect in every single way. really what im saying is get whatever you want but make sure its what you REALLY want. there are alot of beutiful bikes out there and w/ the cheese your willing to spend you have alot of options. i'd look to see which bikes pro teams are riding. i'd feel more comfortable if a pro team was using the bike i wanted for their riders. ya know? still, that pegoretti is fucking gorgeous.

Guest Dusty Lipschitz

yo

how can i repaint my bike?

it's a flourcent/hot pink and a poop brown.

i at least want to get the paint off, i dont really even care if it's repainted...

paint remover?

i tried looking online, no love.

i know you foolios have the know-how.

heshy said 300 to have it repainted. fuck that.

help me.

Guest HESHIANDET

aight god. i said $300. if you paid to have it done. know anyone w/ a sandblaster? no? hmmm SOL there. hahaha. actually you can mosey on down to my art school and sneak on into the metal shop, they have a sandblaster. just tell em you know how to use it. and your bike is aluminum i believe (i need to double check) so you don't really have to repaint it. theorehticaly you could sand the paint off but the noks and crannies would make it look like shit. pimp that pink and purple shit proudly nigga.

heres my new whip. it won't be getting repainted anytime soon. i love the fact it plays on my "irish pride".