The Nonsense thread

Overtime

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

NonsenseFrom Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaJump to: navigation, search

For other uses, see Nonsense (disambiguation).

Further information: Absurdity

For Wikipedia policy regarding nonsense, see Wikipedia:Patent nonsense.

This article needs additional citations for verification.

Please help improve this article by adding reliable references. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (September 2008)

Nonsense (pronounced /ˈnɒnsəns/ (UK), /ˈnɑnsɛns/ (US)[1]) is a verbal communication or written text that is spoken or written in a human language or other symbolic system but lacks any coherent meaning. Many poets, novelists and songwriters have used nonsense in their works, often creating entire works using it for reasons ranging from pure comic amusement to satire. It is also an important field of study in cryptography.

Contents [hide]

1 Literary nonsense

1.1 Nonsense verse

1.1.1 Examples

2 Cryptography

3 Teaching machines to talk nonsense

4 Technical meaning in Wittgenstein

5 See also

6 References

7 External links

[edit] Literary nonsenseMain article: Literary nonsense

The phrase "Colorless green ideas sleep furiously" was coined by Noam Chomsky as an example of nonsense. The individual words make sense and are arranged according to proper grammatical rules, yet the result is nonsense. The inspiration for this attempt at creating verbal nonsense came from the idea of contradiction (for a start, how can a green idea be colorless?) and seemingly irrelevant and/or incompatible characteristics, which conspire to make the phrase meaningless. The phrase "the square root of Tuesday" operates on the latter principle. This principle is behind the inscrutability of the kōan "What is the sound of one hand clapping?", where one hand would presumably be insufficient for clapping without the intervention of another.

James Joyce’s final novel Finnegans Wake uses nonsense in a similar way: full of portmanteau words, it appears to be pregnant with multiple layers of meaning, but in many passages it is difficult to say whether any one person’s interpretation of a text could be the intended or correct one.

[edit] Nonsense verseJabberwocky, a poem (of nonsense verse) found in Through the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There by Lewis Carroll (1871), is a nonsense poem written in the English language. The word jabberwocky is also occasionally used as a synonym of nonsense.[citation needed]

Nonsense verse is the verse form of literary nonsense, a genre that can manifest in many other ways. Its best-known exponent is Edward Lear, author of The Owl and the Pussycat and hundreds of limericks.

Nonsense verse is part of a long line of tradition predating Lear: the nursery rhyme Hey Diddle Diddle could also be termed a nonsense verse. There are also some works which appear to be nonsense verse, but actually are not, such as the popular 1940s song Mairzy Doats.

Lewis Carroll, seeking a nonsense riddle, once posed the question How is a raven like a writing desk?. Someone answered him, Because Poe wrote on both. However, there are other possible answers (e.g. both have inky quills).

Lines of nonsense frequently figure in the refrains of folksongs, where nonsense riddles and knock-knock jokes are often encountered.

[edit] ExamplesThe first verse of Jabberwocky by Lewis Carroll;

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves

Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;

All mimsy were the borogoves,

And the mome raths outgrabe.

The first four lines of On the Ning Nang Nong by Spike Milligan;[2]

On the Ning Nang Nong

Where the cows go Bong!

and the monkeys all say BOO!

There's a Nong Nang Ning

The first verse of Spirk Troll-Derisive by James Whitcomb Riley;[3]

The Crankadox leaned o'er the edge of the moon,

And wistfully gazed on the sea

Where the Gryxabodill madly whistled a tune

To the air of "Ti-fol-de-ding-dee."

The first four lines of The Mayor of Scuttleton by Mary Mapes Dodge;[3]

The Mayor of Scuttleton burned his nose

Trying to warm his copper toes;

He lost his money and spoiled his will

By signing his name with an icicle quill;

The first four lines of Oh Freddled Gruntbuggly by Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz; a creation of Douglas Adams

Oh freddled gruntbuggly,

Thy micturations are to me

As plurdled gabbleblotchits on a lurgid bee.

Groop I implore thee, my foonting turlingdromes

The traditional Gummy Bear is made from sugar, glucose syrup, starch, flavouring, food coloring, citric acid and gelatin. There are also some types of Gummy Bears made with pectin instead of gelatin, making them suitable for vegans. Depending on the production method, it may be similar to the British confectionery Jelly Babies. Large sour bears are larger and flatter than Gummi Bears, have a softer texture, and include fumaric acid or other acid ingredients to produce a sour flavor.

damn mero.

CHILL THAT NIGGA WENT OUT LIKE A WORM THATS NOT MY STYLE AT ALL. PLUS MY SON WAS SAGGIN WAY TOO HARD TO BE INVOLVED IN FISTICUFFS. YONKERS IS WILD DIRTY B ITS NOT EVEN CRAZY HOOD JUST WILD DIRTY LIKE IF I GOT INTO A FIGHT AND A NIGGA KNOCKED ME ON THE FLOOR I'D CHOKE HIM TO DEATH FOR MAKIN ME COME IN CONTACT WITH YONKERS PAVEMENT.

if you loan someone 20 dollars and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

lol. short story time:

so my pops was telling his friend Rick about how he had lent another friend $20, but never saw him again, and how that was probably a good thing. Then his friend Rick says, "Hell, if you gave me $20, I'd leave and never bother you again *crazy laughter*(Rick was on meth)"

My dad pulled out $20, gave it to Rick. Rick leaves, and we never see him again.

Rick was a real piece of work. Would borrow your power tools, bring em back missing or broken. My dad said it was worth the $20. lol.

prawped on good advice.