The Babble

Al Green

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so those Paul Reid paintings.... are the New, new neo-classicism....

I've never scene them in person. What makes them remotly relevant to

contemporary painting?

The fact that they were made in 2006 makes them contemporary, I guess. I don't think this thread is about post-neo whatever, it's more about art. Maybe.

JSGBoggs1D.jpg

dunno if he's been posted yet.read about this dude in national geographic recently

J.S.G. Boggs

He draws money: francs when in Switzerland, dollars in the U.S., pound notes when in England. He doesn’t sell his drawings. That’s rule number one. Instead he “spends” them. That’s rule number two. So far, he’s spent about $250,000 worth of Boggs’ bills. Now, does that figure refer to the face value of those bills? Or does it refer to how much they’re worth? Even the most elementary statement about Boggs’ artwork launches an inquiry into the nature of money, monetary transactions, value, art, abstraction, representation and reproduction. Therein lies its seductive power: it’s a simple idea with vast and complex implications. Yet, it’s accessible. Everyone uses money; everyone talks about it.

JBoggs2D.jpg

Good find abusei. I caught that article as well. Here's an interesting bit of trivia that I so happened to catch in National Geographic today - Jean Claude and Christo were born on the same day and same hour.

The latest issue has an interview of the two with questions regarding the most recent proposed piece, 'Over the River', an on-site installation of cloth running down the Arkansas River in the Colorado Rockies.

Here is one of the prepatory sketches-

JeanClaudeChristoOvertheRiverPrepat.jpg

And some work done in the past-

JeanClaudeChristoPontNeufWrapped.jpg

JeanClaudeChristoRunningFence1.jpg

JeanClaudeChristoRunningFence2.jpg

JeanClaudeChristoSurroundedIslands.jpg

JeanClaudeChristoUmbrellas.jpg

JeanClaudeChristoWrappedCoast.jpg

JeanClaudeChristoWrappedReichstag.jpg

JeanClaudeChristoGates.jpg

yeah its kind of surprising how much exposure mueck has gotten all of the sudden. like he's been around for a while..but recently theres been a large internation surge of Press on him.. i guess whomever is backing his exhibitions have their PR viral machines in full force or something...or maybe its just his time.

It's certainly awesome but I'm pretty fucking tired of the current Mueck craze. It's made it into the not-so-glorious Hall of E-Mail Forwards right next to that dude who paints the crazy shit with chalk on sidewalks.

Feel that. Kind of getting sick of it. But jeeezus. I'm dumbstruck every time I see his work.

• 2 weeks later...