The Babble

Al Green

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yosonyo.jpg

OVERVIEW

Tokion Magazine announces the Fourth Annual Creativity Now Conference, to be held at Cooper Union's historic Great Hall on October 14th and 15th, 2006. This unique symposium will bring together top figures in art, design, fashion, photography, film, new media, publishing and marketing. In the same room for the first time, the people shaping today's popular culture will spend two days exchanging their ideas, methods and inspirations before an audience of 2,000.

Creativity Now will consist of several panel discussions and individual presentations.

A large cross section of the contemporary creative community is expected to attend the conference, which will be open to the public. Creativity Now will be the definitive yearbook of popular culture for 2005.

For press inquiries contact:

Heather Seccia at Tokion at 646.514.4730

For all other questions contact:

usmail@tokion.com

Corey Arcangel

Grégoire Basdevant

Alex Burnard

Doug Holroyd

Eli Horowitz

Mitchell Hurwitz

Kim Jones

Jason LaBeach

Christian Marclay

Mike Mills

Os Gemeos (tEh gRaFfitIs)

Justin Theroux

Olivier Zahm

http://www.tokion.com/conference2006/html/index.html

As much as the magazine is cool, I'm so over that style of art/design. I can't even handle the purposefully naive art stuff, and the uber layers of half well done letters/half badly done letters.

The purposefully akward faces and all that stuff. Its so saturated and I can't even look at it anymore. Does anyone else feel at all the same way about that stuff? I mean, its well done for that style obviously, and dude knows his shit, but I'm ready for something else.

That's exactly how I feel hence my hiatus from his website for a "long, long time". I still like most of his letter-style (that's anything from his penmanship to the purposefully awkward simples, especially the 1st and 3rd works posted) based work though. Another honorable mention of "sucks shitz" are purposefully awkard characters (sometimes I don't mind though) and anything that comes equipped with drips and the placement of things. And adding too much of/to something is still something I'm still trying to get through myself.

personally i'm just really neutral to that kind of stuff, even if it's really good. i don't mind seeing weird characters and facial forms, but i find there are tons of people that aren't very good at it. alot of it looks like they just started messing around with abstracting faces/human form. also i noticed in the last 5 years an explosion in young artists that rely heavily on found materials...paper, cloth etc..taking the whole schwitter/rauschenberg thing and then maybe throwing a drippy tag on the canvas, or drawing some paint pen character over top of the collage. stuff like http://www.lookatbook.com/ is pretty tasty for what it is, but i see sooooo much of this kind of art nowadays that i find i have almost no emotional response to it.

..not that it really matters but..the bloodwars stuff is nice...when its not the drip on drip on cardboard art project.. i like the photos but honestly.. if you want to see a THE original cut and paste Graffiti magazine check out Full Spectrum. all hand made; construction and layout. its...the real bees knees.. they actually might make a book in the future.. rumor goes.

Thin meaning...I guess when I look at shit like that now I feel most of it is real thin meaning there isnt much flavor anymore. It's all the tricks that are the established expectations of that style of art. I don't see much real flavor in it. Reminds me of Kool Aid when its got too much water and not enough powder. Too thin.

As much as the magazine is cool, I'm so over that style of art/design. I can't even handle the purposefully naive art stuff, and the uber layers of half well done letters/half badly done letters.

The purposefully akward faces and all that stuff. Its so saturated and I can't even look at it anymore. Does anyone else feel at all the same way about that stuff? I mean, its well done for that style obviously, and dude knows his shit, but I'm ready for something else.

depends who's doing it. the ERS guys from belgium are really good at "bad" graffiti. it's so well done that half the time you'd think you were looking at flicks from new york in 75. i could look at their stuff all day

i wish i could find some decent photos to illustrate my point

kes_02_JPG.jpg