The Babble

Al Green

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No dude, thats totally in a different field. I like that graffiti. I mean design. On paper, or computer screen...in a gallery. Graffiti is still at heart graffiti. So it has something going for it to make that style charming. Granted, you're right it does depend on whos doing it. But what I was talking about is everytime i flip through some magazine I see all this "purposefully naive pseudo primitave" art out there. All influenced by graff, and all trying to be the super hip un impressed graphic of the month. I hate Neck Face's work.

As much as the magazine is cool, I'm so over that style of art/design. I can't even handle the purposefully naive art stuff, and the uber layers of half well done letters/half badly done letters.

The purposefully akward faces and all that stuff. Its so saturated and I can't even look at it anymore. Does anyone else feel at all the same way about that stuff? I mean, its well done for that style obviously, and dude knows his shit, but I'm ready for something else.

No way! KOH, i think that work is wonderful. never seen it before and i love it. I think i feel totally the opposite of you.

"purposefully naive art stuff, and the uber layers of half well done letters/half badly done letters.

The purposefully akward faces and all that stuff. Its so saturated "

Thats exactly why i like it. You say your so over that stye? where do you see it? i think it is totally different then all the clean Margaret Kilgallen (rip)/mission school style. or all the copycat Paul Rand/Herb Lubalin or Geoff McFetridge silkscreen design stuff. The sfaustina work has more feeling and depth. the typography is great. Obivously there is a lot of control going on in the work within the layers

also can't help but add admire the diversity of sfaustina's work. Great job

more sample

263302864_67c2566b45.jpg?v=0

176122542_c925051851.jpg?v=0

263223677_3c544489b5.jpg?v=0

263199687_af85d4c57a.jpg?v=0

263217029_d50b3cf0c8.jpg?v=0

263283128_ff9b1b0de2.jpg?v=0

263302833_0368a9aebc.jpg?v=0

183887149_c66343fdc5.jpg?v=0

Yeah. The one with just one word up thee..browninsh with the light blueish green word..I like that one. The rest of it looks like some wierd cross between Chris Silva and Rick Barnes who's been doing that shit for like the past four years. I dont know man...I can't reall handle it anymore. I rcognize there is talent in this dudes work, and he is good at what he does, it just seems way too contrived, whereas M. Killgalen 's stuff just reeked of ould soul. I love that shit because I love looking at old wall dog and sign painter shit.

Oh well. I will just resign to always being the asshole who doesn't get current work.

Write me off as crotchety.

Yeah. The one with just one word up thee..browninsh with the light blueish green word..I like that one. The rest of it looks like some wierd cross between Chris Silva and Rick Barnes who's been doing that shit for like the past four years. I dont know man...I can't reall handle it anymore. I rcognize there is talent in this dudes work, and he is good at what he does, it just seems way too contrived, whereas M. Killgalen 's stuff just reeked of ould soul. I love that shit because I love looking at old wall dog and sign painter shit.

Oh well. I will just resign to always being the asshole who doesn't get current work.

Write me off as crotchety.

Ya know it really boils down too if you like collage artwork or not. I really enjoy collage and graffiti art,

So i think sfaustina's work is wonderful in the merger of the two so i can't hate that. You don't see that to offend, And yes i think it's contrived but intentionally. Which gives it more of the Graphic Design Aesthetic which i really like.

Chris Silva work is way more like sam flores or Chirs Yormich, and people have been doing collage artwork for along time, just like oil painting or any other media. I guess you just have to be into it.

Ya know it really boils down too if you like collage artwork or not. I really enjoy collage and graffiti art,

So i think sfaustina's work is wonderful in the merger of the two so i can't hate that. You don't see that to offend, And yes i think it's contrived but intentionally. Which gives it more of the Graphic Design Aesthetic which i really like.

Chris Silva work is way more like sam flores or Chirs Yormich, and people have been doing collage artwork for along time, just like oil painting or any other media. I guess you just have to be into it.

Originally Posted by flagrant foul

i think that work is wonderful. never seen it before and i love it. I think i feel totally the opposite of you.

Okay, the arguement here is that SF Austina's work is new to you whereas KOH has seen that style over and over again. Not only is it a matters of taste but it's also a matter of... well.. people just get sick of seeing the same style over and over again. Yeah, that's it.

Ya know it really boils down too if you like collage artwork or not.

I dont know..saying I don't like that stuff because I don't like collage work is like saying the reason I don't like grape leaves is because I don't like greek food, which is total horseshit because I will fuck up some greek food.

I'm a fan of collage work, really, I am. This particular style is just so over to me though. When comedy central is using similar styles in their station id's its already too saturated. For my taste anyway. i'm not saying its bad, dude, i'm just saying im tired of it.

"I dont know..saying I don't like that stuff because I don't like collage work is like saying the reason I don't like grape leaves is because I don't like greek food, which is total horseshit because I will fuck up some greek food."

point taken.

"When comedy central is using similar styles in their station id's its already too saturated. For my taste anyway."

No, don't get me wrong i don't like that either. But i think that's a totally different media. The only connection i see is the graffiti elements drips, spray paint, tags.

and that's where things get really saturated these days. Graffiti is hot. DRIPS. So of course your going to see that stuff on tv print, etc. But i don't watch any TV...so

But i don't think you can knock a batch of artists that are doing that type of fine art. especially artists coming from a graffiti back ground, I like to see drips, clouds and arrows in a fine art piece.

People say thats played out. but i see it as if you come for a graffiti background, i don't expect a artist to change their style because comedy Central/Media is doing it this year. Or now they should be doing something other then a graffiti style. Thats bunk. and honestly don't see much of it being done in the fine art world, i just the SAME SHIT for the last 20yrs. How many artist with a true graffiti background have made it to the MOMA. (I don't count Haring or Basquiat). Lets support our graffiti comrades so more of us can get in the door.

And i do agree. if i eat greek food for a week straight i would be sick of it too.

"I dont know..saying I don't like that stuff because I don't like collage work is like saying the reason I don't like grape leaves is because I don't like greek food, which is total horseshit because I will fuck up some greek food."

point taken.

"When comedy central is using similar styles in their station id's its already too saturated. For my taste anyway."

No, don't get me wrong i don't like that either. But i think that's a totally different media. The only connection i see is the graffiti elements drips, spray paint, tags.

and that's where things get really saturated these days. Graffiti is hot. DRIPS. So of course your going to see that stuff on tv print, etc. But i don't watch any TV...so

But i don't think you can knock a batch of artists that are doing that type of fine art. especially artists coming from a graffiti back ground, I like to see drips, clouds and arrows in a fine art piece.

People say thats played out. but i see it as if you come for a graffiti background, i don't expect a artist to change their style because comedy Central/Media is doing it this year. Or now they should be doing something other then a graffiti style. Thats bunk. and honestly don't see much of it being done in the fine art world, i just the SAME SHIT for the last 20yrs. How many artist with a true graffiti background have made it to the MOMA. (I don't count Haring or Basquiat). Lets support our graffiti comrades so more of us can get in the door.

And i do agree. if i eat greek food for a week straight i would be sick of it too.

why does graffiti have to be in the MOMA? Why does it have to be accepted by some wealthy collector to be a part of " art " history? Why does it have to be consumed? Fine art can be explained to, and understood by an observer.... grafitti is like big game hunting.... you either uderstand it... or you don't. Now if there was a show at say, Gagosian Gallery of some Damien Hurst work, and some people wanted to go and do flare tags all over the work... during the opening.... now that would be a performance worth seeing.... again and again. That would capture the thing that separates grafitti from mural painting and all the other contemporary art forms.

why does graffiti have to be in the MOMA? Why does it have to be accepted by some wealthy collector to be a part of " art " history? Why does it have to be consumed? Fine art can be explained to, and understood by an observer.... grafitti is like big game hunting.... you either uderstand it... or you don't. Now if there was a show at say, Gagosian Gallery of some Damien Hurst work, and some people wanted to go and do flare tags all over the work... during the opening.... now that would be a performance worth seeing.... again and again. That would capture the thing that separates grafitti from mural painting and all the other contemporary art forms.

"why does graffiti have to be in the MOMA? Why does it have to be accepted by some wealthy collector to be a part of " art " history?"

I geuss it doesn't, but that's the way the art world works... but i sure would like to see Eric Haze have a show at the MOMA.

But Haze's design work..... right? I love the fact that Barry McGee is turning into a gunslinger in the art world, but it's not Twist. Do you see what I mean? The thing about grafitti that separates it from the other visual arts can never be packaged or sold. Any way.... here's some contribution to visual part of this thread.

2.jpg

1.jpg

Nilima-Sheikh---Performing-.jpg

040126_nilima.jpg

andrew schoultz

nilima sheikh

What i mean is...artists that have a grafftiti style/backgraound. Like barry. That bring it to their fine art. Not just bring what they do on the street into a gallery. Thats shitty.

What i hate is people thinking they can take their street graffiti right into gallery, with their same name and work...Like Neckface, Bigfoot or Bansky.