Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Unearned Philosophy

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by Cracked Ass, Nov 4, 2001.

1. Cracked Ass

Cracked Ass Veteran Member

I was perusing the "what superpower would you pick" thread and some heavier stuff occurred to me. People were fantasizing about what superhuman power they'd want, for getting over on walls or the opposite sex or whatever. It struck me that if you ever got your wish, it'd be fun for a while and then would start to suck. So you can stop time, and do pieces in outrageous places - so what? You'd quickly become king of wherever, but you'd know you cheated. Whoever was running your city before you did it the hard way. Your crown would be UNEARNED. Other superpowers would create other problems. Imagine being able to fly - great for a while. But you'd have to be ultra-careful about where and when you indulged. If any human saw you do it, they'd be in therapy for life. Would you want that on your conscience? Plus if you got the attention of the wrong people the government would come find you for research purposes pretty quick, and you'd be one caged eagle.
    What I'm looking at is the philosophy of UNEARNED. It seems like human existence is best appreciated and enjoyed by those who EARNED. There's a lot more satisfaction in doing something big with very ordinary powers. By "earned" I'm not talking about getting a job and slaving away to pay your bills, although many who do take some pride in that self-sufficiency even if they don't like their work. I'm talking more about achieving goals through your own effort as opposed to taking shallow shortcuts.
    The much sought-after superpowers aren't available, just fantasy. But I see an important parallel in the use of substances. People want to feel good, but maybe are missing the creative achievement angle, or have some other insecurity, and try for the shortcut of drink and drugs. It seems that the pleasure offered by drugs is UNEARNED pleasure, and you must pay for it later in hangovers, withdrawal symptoms, and depression.
    I'm not preaching against substances, just throwing out a zen-like idea. There seems to be more fulfillment in pleasure that is earned.

2. theFUME

theFUME Senior Member

3. BROWNer

BROWNer Guest

true, true....
    about your points on drug use....
    i have a thing with objectivity....
    by definition it can't truly be achieved,
    but every once in awhile a little cheeba
    helps me personally get what i would
    call faux objectivity...i find that you
    can get a certain amount of objectivity
    from some buds if you smoke rarely...
    certain situations and what not can seem
    completely fresh and clear..for me anyhow..
    i find that sometimes i can figure stuff out
    this way if i'm in a rut or can't figure something
    out visually...i wouldn't say its an insecurity.....
    i guess maybe its an easy way of getting
    an answer.....but its not like i'm totally beyond
    recognizance and my brain is functioning
    on an extreme level of dysfunction where
    i'm able to tap into something that isn't in me
    in the first place....bljjcbojwob'n

4. tue skinny

tue skinny Elite Member

WOAH WOAH WOAH . TO MUCH TO READ..

5. Doctor Beans

Doctor Beans New Jack

i have recently gave up on drinking an smoking an decided to become sober for the very reason ur talking about earned pleasures an all that , i know what u mean , i felt it was time to let the somewhat crazyer life style behind , i felt i needed to rehabilitate myself i wanted my old way of thinking back and my old imagination i felt like i was losing originality in art an in just everyday thinking , weed was just away for me to say yea thats a good idea nomatter what my corny thought was ...just a easy way to agree with everything i do ...

6. dr. frink one

dr. frink one Elite Member

cracked...thanks for that.
    some good thoughts that made sense.
    always open for some "zen like" ideas...

7. I agree, however drinking and taking drugs ,when you're not either a junkie or an alcoholic, seems to be a desire of loosing control for a while,you poison yourself in order to feel things in a more extreme way or if you want to go deeper on that, live a death experience and remain alive. Most of the things we do have to do with death.
    I also see a parallel in the situation you are when in love.Its a superhuman feeling and for a short period of time you feel like you have superhuman powers.You cant remain in love forever though
    thats why Passion goes next to Earning as a value.
    Its all about seeing things in perspective i supose,instant feelings and needs die fast,you wish to fly when you want to get away from a place and in the next moment you wish to be invissible so you can stay longer.
    Earning leads you to other things in life and Unearning leaves you in someplace wondering whats the next place you wish to be.
    And to get back on drugs, i feel that depression and hangovers are the result of a death experience that didnt end properly.The fact that you remain alive after all makes your previous feelings and experiences seem unworthy.Trying to give extra importance on instant feelings, using substances in order to detach your self from all external factors leads you to an instant life, where one one moment you wish to be a bear and the next you wish to be a fish...anything but your self

8. LaurenceConway

LaurenceConway New Jack

Great, its a good and relevant subject to address. In respects to drug use i think your way off the mark though.
    Theres no way the use of drugs leads to a easy route to fulfilment, far from it.

I believe we take substances so indulgently in contemporary society as its all far too easy and trouble free for what our bodies and minds are innately formed to undergo.

So the introduction of substances simply introduces a struggle to fight against that is oh so necessary to keep ourselves feeling of worth.

The more serious issue i believe is the ease in which we can achieve so much today with so little effort (computers, internet, smart phones, aeroplanes)

The consistent journey mankind ploughs along in order to discover and create tools in which to make things 'easier' for ones self, with the thought of why it needs to be easier put aside as a secondary issue.

Which is where the depression of billions of people comes from, we can live 'comfortably' far to easily

Tesseract- i loved what you had to say

9. MedicineCabinet

MedicineCabinet 12oz Loyalist

i agree...

its better to be a villain with unmatchable power

10. LUGR

LUGR Veteran Member

Great 1st post, you do realize Tesseract typed that 9 years ago...?

11. *PROTOCOL*

*PROTOCOL* Elite Member

12. KILZ FILLZ

KILZ FILLZ Moderator Crew

"Oh cool Cracked Ass made a thread today!"

"Ohhhhh..."

13. john_gacy

john_gacy Banned

I started reading the 1st post before realizing that this thread is old as fuck and dude must of been high as hell when he wrote it.

Power to zap noobs brains from home at my computer?

I wish I would have a super cock.
    Oh right, I already do.
    SURPRISE, BITCHEZ!!!!!

14. earl broclo ESQ

earl broclo ESQ 12oz Loyalist

I started reading the first post not realizing it was old as fuck and thought "Cracked Ass made a thread in Ch.0?"

I think I've seen that guy post twice in Ch.0 over the past year.

15. MAR

MAR Veteran Member

It wouldnt suck to have the ability to have any superpower you wanted when you wanted. The you'd have an unlimited range to choose from on a whim. And cheating always feels great when you get away with it. It's like getting over on life.