Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

living in a van

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by Mr. Mang, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Mr. Mang

Mr. Mang Elite Member

my lease runs out in july and i am considering going on the road for the summer visiting friends and doing an intership out in LA for a small company a girl i know owns. getting out of the midwest... skating tons of parks... shooting photos and seeing friends. sounds like a good summer to me.

rather than worrying about paying lots of money to rent a place or sleep in a motel, i am thinking of possibly getting a work van and living out of there for the summer. i could crash there when i was not staying with friends and wouldnt have to worry about burdening anyone. plus i dont want the commitment of working 40 hours a week just to pay rent temporarily. i could lurk up in SF for a while and see if i want to stay there or not.

i was wondering if anyone has done anything similar to this and/or could offer me some advice. seems like 12oz has a lot of well traveled and experienced people on here.

any help would be appreciated!

anchorless.

2. T.T Boy

T.T Boy Dirty Dozen Crew

down by the river?

sorry had to.

3. Mr. Mang

Mr. Mang Elite Member

i saw that coming from a mile away!

4. John Birch

John Birch Member

I wish I had options like that...

5. johnny ballbags

johnny ballbags Elite Member

6. horse cock

horse cock Elite Member

it's all good until a girl asks to go back to your place.

7. ego maniac

ego maniac Elite Member

hmmm.... where will you bathe?
    I guess the "down by a river" thing
    sounds like a plan now ay.

8. SteveAustin

SteveAustin Veteran Member

never done it, but I suppose you could:

use those neutral smelling baby/quick wipes and you won't really need to shower.

shave your head or just let it go greasy and you won't need to worry about shampoo.

wait...you said July. might want to pick up a tent or something also...that July/August heat would be brutal in a van.

9. spectr

spectr Guest

shit man all i ever do is travel, yeah vans arent that bad to live out of but maybe try to get a short bus you can pimp those out allot more then a van. yeah and showers aren't much of a problem just get some gym membership or rock hotel pools etc the only shit that sucks about living in a van in the city is finding good spots to park it for long periods of time.

10. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden Veteran Member

I forgot where I'd read this, but someone put out a free PDF book about being homeless by choice and it really focused on living out of a van in a climate such as Cali/Hawaii. If I can remember the name or where I found it I'll post it here.... but he did say that for bathing purposes, when he couldnt use a friends shower, he would just find the local YMCA and take care of bathing there.

Or wash up in a restaurant bathroom somewhere, in the worst case scenario.

11. FunTimePartyTeam

FunTimePartyTeam Senior Member

People do it all the time in Venice (LA). I see theyre smelly asses all the time, they hang out on Rose st around 7th st. You should go ask them how their life is going. I have to say aside from bathing, and not being able to bring the women back to your pad, it might not be so bad. All you need is a subscription to the YMCA. Thatll take care of the bathing, and if youre clean enough maybe shell invite you back.

12. Mr. Mang

Mr. Mang Elite Member

yeah, bathing is certainly a concern, but i am sure i could use somebodys shower or if it came down to it - the YMCA.

i know living in a van is pretty (very) sleazy, but i would only do it for the summer (or til i decided to settle in and get $ for a a place).

girls would totally be bummed if they found out (no pun intended). but.. i'm not a slut magnet so im not worried. maybe theyd feel sorry for me.

i just want to do a ton of skating and experience a lot of things without being so tied down. it'd only be temporary for sure.

13. count chocula

count chocula Veteran Member

14. MOOGLE?

MOOGLE? 12oz Loyalist

the shower isnt much of a problem, but gas is a larger one.
    food is easy since there are food pantries all over america and at least one or two in each town or city
    you should look into personal safety of yourself and the security of your van and its belongings inside.

try planning a linear path from one destination to the next and keep your objectives intact....i got lost in oklahoma because of this.
    research each place you plan on going to for..shelters/temporary work agencies/communes if at all possible/ human resource centers/hospitals..ect..

i'd do a bit more detailed explanation..but i'm amost about to beat zombies ate my neighbors..

if anything head to a local book shop and check out books on vagabonding/world travel and such..

and dont read anything by rolf potts...he's a rich ass unconnected with real travel..

and a crust punk with a bottle of jack d is a friend indeed..

15. FunTimePartyTeam

FunTimePartyTeam Senior Member

Van-pity sex?