Cooking with 12oz

Guest Are2

that pork parma and spicy indian dish is inspiring

may have to give it a try

recently been on a trader joes kick and their pizzza dough @ $1.50 is whats up

garlic and herb dough

seasoned with tomato sauce mozzarella and some shaven parmesan fresh basil and a cut up tomato

pizza1rr.jpg

pizza2.jpg

MMmmmmmmm

made another with prosciutto and roasted peppers after drunken bar happenings but got no flicks

add alittle oil on the crust and it toasts up nice

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

that's awesome morton

every year i say i'm going to start canning, and i don't.

but, now that i am basically vegan by default, i've been trying to come up with new foods.

i found this sauce and wow. it's really very delicious.

some copy of a specialty item

Bitchin’ Sauce (Original Flavor)

makes about 2 cups

3/4 c. + 2 tbsp. water

1/2 c. + 2 tbsp. grapeseed oil

1/2 c. raw almonds

1/4 c. + 2 tbsp. lemon juice, fresh

3 tbsp. nutritional yeast

2 cloves garlic

2 tsp. bragg liquid aminos

1/2 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. cumin

1/2 tsp. chili powder

1/4 tsp. coriander

1/4 tsp. paprika

1. Place all ingredients in a high-powdered blender (such as a VitaMix). Slowly blend for one minute. Turn the dial up to high, and continue to blend for 1-2 minutes or until smooth and creamy.

2. Store in the refrigerator. Sauce may separate. Stir and it’s as good as new.

so, i don;t have much money and seeing the price of grapeseed oil made me think i could do it with olive and canola, and i did. ended up adding about 1/4 cup less water. not as creamy as grapeseed i guess.

and i had to make it in a food processor. worked fine.

i also had to go out and buy nutritional yeast, a new thing for me. interesting stuff though

so far today i've eaten it on a tomato sandwich, overtop leftover pasta and just with crackers. tasty.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

that stuff isn't hard.

the tollhouse recipe on the back of Nestle semisweet choco chips is good and easy to follow

one tip: DO NOT OVERMIX. cookies don't need to be mixed like a cake does, because you don't usually want volume in cookies. so it also doesn't take long

if you want them to come out really nicely, go buy parchment paper

there is NO substitute. much better than aluminum foil and also creates a buffer against burning..

parchment-paper-questions-1.jpg

the chicken noodle should be NO fuckin problem in a crockpot

just add the noodles in the last few minutes so they don't turn to mush

Holden I don't know that many veg/vegans. the ones i do know are not fat.

i'm not even a little bit fat.

i have a lot of muscle tone but last year i dropped about ten pounds and cannot put it back on.

kinda wish i could.

if there are a bunch of fat veggies, i'd agree with morton. prolly a combo of carbo-loading and crap diet, like tons of french fries.

I make oven fries every once in while, they turn out just fine. I just toss cut potatoes in olive oil and salt and bake on foil on a cookie sheet at four hundred till crispy. They would be a little better if I deep fried em but that is such a pain in the ass and uses so much oil I do not think it is worth it for a standard dinner. Maybe things are easier with a fryer, I have always just used a pot and thermometer which is kind of intense.

Fresh tortilla chips deep fried at home however are pretty much the culinary equivalent of freebasing cocaine. Also fun to make a bowl for the taco salad.

the restaurant fry trick is to soak them in cold water for about 16 hours

then dry then fry

they come out amazingly well.

over fries are better imo if you parboil them ..maybe 2-3 minutes if they are wedges, then dry and fry.

meh. i second that emoticon on the fresh fried tortillas.

getting a home fryer was awesome. luckily i don't use it much

cusinart-deep-fryer-cdf-100-detail.gif

• 2 weeks later...

so i think someone in here told me that nutritional yeast wasn't so good to add to hot stuff but that doesn't seem true at all.

i made amazeballs vegan mac and cheese the other day.

from Veganomicon

4 cups vegetable broth

1/2 cup all purpose flour

2 tablespoons olive oil

6 garlic cloves, Minced

2 pinches dried thyme (crumbled in your fingers)

1/2 teaspoon salt

3 pinches freshly ground black pepper

1/4 teaspoon turmeric

1 1/2 cups nutritional yeast flakes

2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

2 teaspoons prepared yellow mustard

The Mac

3/4 lb elbow macaroni or 3/4 lb your favorite pasta

1 lb extra firm tofu

1 teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon olive oil

2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook according to the package directions. When the pasta is ready, drain and set aside.

Meanwhile, prepare the Cheezy Sauce.

Whisk the broth and flour in a measuring cup with a fork until dissolved.

Saute the oil and garlic in a saucepan over medium-low heat about 2 minutes, stirring often and being careful not to burn the garlic.

Add the thyme, salt, and pepper, and cook for about 15 seconds. Add the broth, turmeric, and nutritional yeast, raising the heat to medium. Use a whisk and stir constantly. The mixture will start bubbling and thickening in about 3 minutes; if it doesn’t, turn the heat on a bit higher.

Once the mixture starts bubbling and thickening, stir and cook for about 2 more minutes.

Add the lemon juice and mustard and stir well. The mixture should resemble a thick, melty cheese.

Taste for salt (you may need more), turn off the heat, and cover the pan to keep it warm.

Now that the sauce is ready, begin assembling:.

Crumble the tofu into an 11x13 inch baking dish. Mash the tofu with your hands until it resembles ricotta cheese. Mix in the salt, olive oil, and lemon juice.

Add 1/2 cup Cheezy Sauce to the tofu and stir.

Add the pasta to the tofu, along with 3 more cups of sauce, and stir well.

Smooth the top of the pasta mixture and press it down with a spatula to level it.

Pour the remaining sauce over the pasta and smooth again.

Bake for 30 minutes; the top of the macaroni should be slightly browned.

Let sit for 20 minutes to cool and firm up.

Read more at: http://www.food.com/recipe/vegan-mac-daddy-veganomicon-435793?oc=linkback

*ok so i actually had to reduce the pasta slightly cuz i only had enough nut.yeast for a half-portion of sauce. didn't reduce anything else. still turned out really well though it prolly could've used a little more salt and a little less lemon...

possibly the best part is i have figured out this is the recipe my local vegan restaurant uses so no more craving their expensive shit without knowing how to make it myself.

so i think someone in here told me that nutritional yeast wasn't so good to add to hot stuff but that doesn't seem true at all.

It was me who told you that it's better to add it after the cooking process.

Of course you can cook with it!

It's just that heat kills part of the good stuff in it (can't recall whether it was the vitamin B12 or something else).

• 2 months later...

so i've been making tons of awesome vegan food.

lentils. so damn good good. damn good for you. and so damn cheap.

i also bought a blender a a big bag of frozen fruit and i've been making smoothies.

really good with raw nuts, flax, omegas etc.

how-to-make-a-smoothie.jpg

http://www.superskinnyme.com/how-to-make-a-smoothie.html

also, vegan desserts.

recipe from veganbaking.net (chewy chocolate chip cookies)

IMG_0223_zps872e213b.jpg

and, my peanut butter mouse pie with chocolate ganache

IMG_0229_zps39df7e7f.jpg

Archived