Cooking with 12oz

Guest Are2

i love to cook..i trained as a sous and saute chef, and spent a couple years as a pastry chef..food is one of the great parts of life..i figured i'd share some of my recipes..

eat healthy!!

some awesome products have surfaced recently, most notably barilla dried tortelloni..inexpensive, tasty, and it makes a bunch!

they also make a no boil lasagna that is the shit!

to make a nice size lasagna, just get yourself a package of the no boil lasgana

16 oz ricotta cheese

(mix with about 1 cuop parmasan, and some parsley and a beaten egg)

grated mozzarella

veggies (if desired) for the layers..like red peppers, onions or mushrooms

some delicious pasta sauce (classico and barilla are good)

start with the pasta, follow it with some ricotta and mozarella

top with the sauce and veggies, repeat with the layering

top with any leftover cheese

bake for about 45 minutes @ 375 degrees, let it sit for about 15

it's better as leftovers..so make a big pan

**if you want meat, just brown some ground beef with salt and pepper in a pan, mix with the sauce, prepare as above**

to make a homemade sauce for the lasagna

16 oz can crushed tomatoes

can of tomato paste

2 cloves garlic

half a small onion

salt pepper (to taste..don't overdo it..you can always add more)

oregano (about a half tsp of each)

basil

parsley

dash sugar

heat garlic and onion in a bit of oil until soft and brown..add spices to taste, add crushed tomatoes and the paste..mix well on low heat for a few minutes..taste and alter if needed, add a dash of suger to cut any acidity..cool a bit before using in lasagna if boiling hot

..so if anyone cares, i'll post a new recipe everyday

tomorrow: veggie sloppy joes, anyone?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

oh goodie!!

i'm such a mom type sometimes..i love to go out to the yard and paint a bunch and then round everyone up to go home for some omelettes!!

yummy..

okay..i'll post a dessert recipe tomorrow too..

I heard about the infamous garlic bread... you might have to hook up the recipe for that. I'd appreciate it if you posted some recipes every other day. I'm tired of spending money on going out to eat every day. I need to learn how to cook (or else no one is gonna marry me) according to my mother....

:)

Guest willy.wonka

ghetto chicken adobo...from pupus to da max

secret,

i'll marry you...and i love to cook...but i hear you're liar.

heres a little chicken adobo///real ghetto style..not my mother recipe

1 lb. chicken 3 bay leaves

1 1/2 cup vinegar salt and pepper "to taste" 1 1/2 cup of water

2 cloves garlic,minced

cut or leave chicken whole///i would leave it whole

place it in whatevas with vinigar,garlic,bayleaves,salt and pepper

add water and cook chicken...let it simmer until well done....

serve with rice.....or else

this isnt my moms recipe,but i'll look for my ghetto cook book...

my grandmothers recipes served up hawaii for years....one of the first all around cook books for hawaii and my family recipes are in there..im so very proud of my grandma....

we like to eat

Guest Pilau Hands

I was raised by lumberjacks in the southwestern forests of northeast Flipflambania. I can get down in breakfast-town. My shit'll fuck your whole shit up. Forreal.

Re: ghetto chicken adobo...from pupus to da max

Originally posted by willy.wonka

heres a little chicken adobo///real ghetto style..not my mother recipe

1 lb. chicken 3 bay leaves

1 1/2 cup vinegar salt and pepper "to taste" 1 1/2 cup of water

2 cloves garlic,minced

seems to me anything i've ever had "adobo" has had some dried puree in there too?

andyway, yeah, Are2, good idear, keep up the good work!

yeah vanity. i'm feel;ing you on that one. i'm pretty good at cooking. i worked in a restaurant for awhile and i can make some reallly good dishes, but my budget at the moment only lets me eat ramen and sandwiches. i don't even do pancakes...

actually my sandwiches have spinich in them. fresh spinach. dijon, cheese, tomatos. grilled eggplant.i love fresh vegetables. i get them cheap in the little markets in the ctrackhead part of town. i also eat a lot of rice and potatoes. those give a good bang for your buck.. i'm economical, but i know how to eat healthy too.

my sandwiches are just pb and j... very rarely do i buy meat or cheese (why is cheese so expensive nowadays?)

and dont sleep on the pancakes.. 1 box can make like 50 full sized pancakes.. plus they're filling, and good.

i steal condiments from cafeterias.

I make a mean garlic bread in a very short time.

Real simple too.

I slice fresh italian bread into thirds the long way. (Most people slice it in half, but more surface area equals more butter application potential.)

Butter the tops heavily.

Add fresh pressed garlic, about 1 medium clove per third of a loaf.

Top with oregano and grated parmesan cheese.

Bake at 350 for a couple minutes to melt the butter and warm the bread through.

Then crank it up to broil till the tops start to turn gold.

Eat hearty.

If you have a date that night, he/she must also consume some to equalize the halitosic balance.

Chocolate Mousse is a classic French dessert that always renders applause. This is an ideal dessert for dinner parties, not only because of it's elegance, but also because it can be prepared several hours, or even a day in advance.

4 oz. of quality semi-sweet chocolate, or 6 oz. for an extra chocolaty mousse.

4 eggs, room temperature

2 Tbsp. coffee-flavored liqueur

1/2 cup heavy whipping cream

mini chocolate chips or chocolate curls for garnish, if desired

sweetened whipped cream for garnish, if desired

Separate egg whites and yolks into two bowls and set aside. Melt chocolate in a double boiler, stirring occasionally until smooth. Remove from heat. Slowly stir in coffee-flavored liqueur until well combined. Beat in egg yolks. Let mixture cool completely.

Meanwhile, beat the heavy cream with an electric mixer in a medium-sized bowl or in a food processor until soft peaks form (about 5-6 minutes). In another medium size bowl, with clean beaters, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form (about 3-4 minutes)

Gently fold the whipped cream into the cooled chocolate mixture until thoroughly combined. Carefully fold the egg whites into chocolate mixture stirring gently until mixture is well combined. Spoon mixture into dessert dishes. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours before serving. Garnish with chocolate chips or curls and sweetened whipped cream before serving, if desired.

Guest willy.wonka
Originally posted by my sweetheart, the drunk

pancakes, add peanut butter, add syrup. trust me.

add peanut buttah to your hambergers too...very good...

Originally posted by Vanity

that's all well and good... but i cant afford that ish :

From the books of Po' Cookin'

Tuna-Mac

Box of Mac n Cheese

Cheap frozen mixed veggies

Can of Tuna

Extra cheese for special occasions

Cook the noodles as usual. A few minutes after noodles start add the frozen veggies to the noodles. Cook until noodles are tender. Drain tuna and add to noodles and veggies. Add milk, butter, cheese powder and stir. Add extra cheese to top for garnish.

Good, fairly nutritious, and very cheap. Total cost of meal about $1.25 and will easily feed two maybe three people.

Re: ghetto chicken adobo...from pupus to da max

Originally posted by willy.wonka

heres a little chicken adobo///real ghetto style..not my mother recipe.....

heyyy i didnt know that you are filipino??!!! well....maybe you arent and just like chicken adobo. but my man's friends love chiken adobo and they arent even filipino...it surprises me for soem reason.

are2....wanna come over and take over my kitchen for one night?? i sure do need the rest.....:crazy:

Originally posted by Jewish Task Force

Hey Are2, you gotta make my homie some Burritos I know he misses them.

he is well fed and well cared for..can't you tell?!

Originally posted by Jesus of Nazareth

Fuuuck yeah, I've been wanting to start a thread like this, but never knew how it would be received.....Are2 just became the most attractive 12ozer. Marry me???:love::love2::crazy:

awww shit...that's sweet..but i'm spoken for

Originally posted by Cracked Ass

I make a mean garlic bread in a very short time.

Real simple too.

Eat hearty.

awesome recipe..like mine..my only suggestions..brown the garlic in the butter, and pour the mixture over the bread..top with mozzarella (as well as parm) for a delicious effect.

Originally posted by Devilush

heyyy i didnt know that you are filipino??!!! well....maybe you arent and just like chicken adobo. but my man's friends love chiken adobo and they arent even filipino...it surprises me for soem reason.

are2....wanna come over and take over my kitchen for one night?? i sure do need the rest.....:crazy:

hell yeah! i love cooking!!

Originally posted by alkaline

Who else had lasagna for dinner last night? I did, and I'd like to take a moment to thank Are2 for inspiring my meal ...

...Thank you, Are2.

The best part about my lasagna is that I get to eat it again today. Left-overs kick ass!

you're welcome!!

okay..so we can all agree to eat good food!! no arguing in this thread? can it be?

thanks for all the interest as well as some of the great recipes..

chocolate mousse and el-cheapo tuna casserole..yummy!

later today: veggie sloppy joes and stuffed peppers!!

Vegan Sloppy Joes

oh how i love these...after about 8 years without meat, but still cooking it for others, i have gotten pretty damn good at seasoning stuff to taste like meat, while it is merely innocuous soy...

Morningstar Farms is reccommended!!

1 pack (12-16 oz) meat substitute like morningstar (or ground beef if you must)

4 garlic cloves

4-5 tblsp chopped onion (about 1/2 small one)

some chopped green or red peppers (optional)

1/3 cup worcesteshire sauce

4 tblsp tomato paste

4 tblsp chili powder

1 tblsp cumin

cayenne pepper

salt pepper

Cook the onions and garlic (and peppers) with some salt and pepper in a bit of oil (or water for lowfat)..about 2 tblsp..over medium heat

When nice n brown, add the (fake) meat

pour the worcesteshire sauce evenly over the top of meat..a little extra may be desired for fuller flavor, cook over med-high heat

Add the spices..salt and pepper and cayenne pepper to taste

When the liquid is almost gone and everything is hot, add the tomato paste..a little more or less may be desired to get a nice consistency..do you want the joes thicker? or more messy? add what you like...

Serve the sloppy Joes with some nice big kaiser rolls..or whatever you like

The dish goes great with basic fries or roasted potatoes..or maybe some rice and a veggie like corn on the cob

**there are "flavored" tomato pastes that work well..try the roasted garlic flavor in this recipe**

Roasted Potatoes and Carrots

oh so simple....and cheap

skin some potatoes and carrots

chop into cubes

season with thyme, rosemary, a couple smashed cloves of garlic, and some salt and pepper

bake for about 35-45 minutes, until soft, in a 400 degree oven

Archived