Cooking with 12oz

Guest Are2

i got a crazy idea tonight to pickle hot dogs in franks sauce, which i already did and am not sure how they gonna turn out.

I cut the hot dogs halfway through lengthwise then simmered them in a bottle of franks for 15 minutes in a covered sauce pan, put them in a jar and added some vinegar to completely cover the dogs, screwed the lid tight and put them in the fridge...

My plan when the dogs are nice and pickled is to do a buffalo wing style hot dog. I looked around the internet and saw some recipes similar to my idea but also not very close so Im not really sure how this is going to turn out...

When the dogs are ready I plan to fry them in deep butter till crispy and put them on a bun, maybe drizzle with some franks depends how flavorful they are and top with a slaw made with a blue cheese slaw dressing. I might julienne some carrots & celery to use instead of cabbage.

Im excited to make this, looking forward to when the dogs are ready.

Any ideas, comments, hate? I'll definitely post the outcome and detailed recipe when I get there, hopefully it turns out.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also read that it gives you less gas if you use fresh water after the soaking overnight.

Can't really say that I can confirm this, though, but on the other hand I put quite a lot of chili in stuff, which will probably not help in that matter.

Speaking of which - I found a nice thai curry / chili sin carne recipe.

It's there: http://www.theppk.com/2010/12/red-lentil-thai-chili/

5267043731_9b9a4a671d_z.jpg

I loved it. Would only consider using half sweet potatoes / half normal potatoes next time.

i got a crazy idea tonight to pickle hot dogs in franks sauce, which i already did and am not sure how they gonna turn out.

I cut the hot dogs halfway through lengthwise then simmered them in a bottle of franks for 15 minutes in a covered sauce pan, put them in a jar and added some vinegar to completely cover the dogs, screwed the lid tight and put them in the fridge...

My plan when the dogs are nice and pickled is to do a buffalo wing style hot dog. I looked around the internet and saw some recipes similar to my idea but also not very close so Im not really sure how this is going to turn out...

When the dogs are ready I plan to fry them in deep butter till crispy and put them on a bun, maybe drizzle with some franks depends how flavorful they are and top with a slaw made with a blue cheese slaw dressing. I might julienne some carrots & celery to use instead of cabbage.

Im excited to make this, looking forward to when the dogs are ready.

Any ideas, comments, hate? I'll definitely post the outcome and detailed recipe when I get there, hopefully it turns out.

TAKE PICTURES OF YOUR PICKLING DOGS

good call on the beans peeps

i do cook the hell out of that water if it's dried beans though

i read the other day that people who eat canned foods have spikes in their blood-BPA levels in the thousand% level.. pretty fucking horrible. looks like i gotta stop eating canned veggies.

• 3 weeks later...

::also seen in post your meals thread::

Butternut Squash Raviolis with a brown butter sage sauce and crispy pancetta:

1. Cut butternut squash in half. Take all the seeds out like a pumpkin Roast Butternut squash (that has been oiled - i used the spray oil) for 45 minutes at 375 degrees.

6617213051_aa07b887f5.jpg

2. Take the insides of the now squishy squash and blend with 2 tbs heavy cream, sautéed onions and sage, salt and pepper. Blend until a puree. Set aside

6617238147_9203f23a5f.jpg

3. Crisp up your pancetta and save for later. I cut it before i fried it, then left it on a paper towel. regular bacon will do just fine...just don't over do it!

6617232061_95b5592873.jpg

4. make your pasta dough! I used 1 and 1/2 cup semonlia flour, 2 eggs, 2 tbs of olive oil, 2 tbs of water, and a generous pinch of salt. mix that for 10 minutes in a mixer (or kneed with your palms using a rolling motion...and yes, for ten minutes). then let it set in a bowl with a towel over it for 20 minutes (this lets the gluten rest).

6617251525_c83a7814ae.jpg

5. then i sprinkled some semonlia flour on a dry surface and rolled out the dough. i have a nifty pasta roller (they're expensive so i bought mine at a second thrift store for $25). i used the 1st setting then the 3rd to make it thinner. but you can just roll it out really thin with a pin.

6. cut the thin dough in half. fill the butternut squash puree about every inch and a half. beat 1 egg and a tbs of water to create a wash. in between the puree, make a box with the wash using a brush or spoon. put the other half of the dough on top. cut the squares out that are in-between the puree dollops.

6617229695_42174ffc54.jpg

7. boil in hot water for 5-7 minutes BUT NO MORE OR YOUR RAVS WILL LEAK OUT. ew.

8. Put a half stick of butter in a large hot pan. stir consistently. add chopped sage. wait until it browns. add a half cup of heavy cream. stir until thick.

9. strain your raviolis and plate when dry. add sauce and pancetta. Mangia!

6617250497_d48f88a910.jpg

yummy. homemade ravioli is so delicious.

i got a vegan cupcake book for xmas, so far made two batches of chocolate cupcakes and wow. so good i don't miss the dairy even a little

i'd post pics but i'm not sure how much i care.

saw this recipe today, looks good (and moderately healthy)

Baked Carrot Oven French Fries

6 large carrots

2 tablespoons olive oil

½ teaspoon celtic sea salt

Cut each carrot into 2-inch long sections

Cut each section into thin sticks

In a large bowl toss carrot sticks with olive oil and salt

Spread out carrot sticks on a parchment paper baking sheet

Bake at 425° for 18-22 minutes until carrots are browned

carrot-fries-oven-roasted-bowl-ketchup-DSC_80821.jpg

/I don't really look at this thread as much as I'd like too so maybe a repost

IMG_3489.jpg

prepping lamb shoulder and rosemary.

IMG_3490.jpg

chop rosemary and garlic (yes that is a slap chop....bitches)

IMG_3492.jpg

rub olive oil on lamb. coat with garlic/rosemary mix

IMG_3494.jpg

yogurt + dill + salt + pepper + thyme

IMG_3493.jpg

boiled marbled potatoes. place in bowl with butter, salt, and pepper

IMG_3499.jpg

garlic rosemary crusted lamb shoulder. buttered marble potatoes. and chili swiss chard.

i made pork parmesan for a friend's birthday. i had made it once before for just myself to make sure i didn't give anyone trichinosis.

first pount the pork with a fucking hammer.

ANNE2436-1.jpg

ANNE2449.jpg

then dredge it and bread it

ANNE2455.jpg

ANNE2459.jpg

then fry it in veggie oil until golden brown

ANNE2467.jpg

then assemble the pieces in a baking dish with a shitload of cheese, a good sauce, some chopped pork belly and a few veggies for color.

ANNE2491.jpg

ANNE2498.jpg

ANNE2500.jpg

put it in the oven and 450 until the cheese is golden brown and the sauce bubbles then plate it onto of some pasta and next to a veggie of some sort.

ANNE2516.jpg

no one got sick, it was fucking delicious and i made it again for christmas dinner with my fam.

How'd you prepare the chili swiss chard? That meal looks banging!

hot pan.

little bit of olive oil (tiny bit)

chopped onions (about 1/4 of an onion)

chopped swiss chard (plus the stems)

cover and let the oil and steam cooking it way down. About 10-15 mins.

Dash chili pepper flakes on top with a bit of salt and pepper.

Stir and cook for another 2-3 mins.

this is a pretty traditional way to preparing greens in italy. you can use kale, broccoli rabe, etc...You can also sub garlic for the onions, or add both.

Enjoy!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived