Cooking with 12oz

Guest Are2

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^hahaaa eewww... :D

fred, what is speck?

Speck is a distinctively juniper-flavored ham originally from Tyrol, a historical region that since 1918 partially lies in Austria and partially in Italy. Speck's origins at the intersection of two culinary worlds is reflected in its synthesis of salt-curing and smoking.

oh geez.. is this like their bacon?

because that is the deal here.. we want to put bacon in everything

i feel like i'll get tomatoes fro the store one day and i'll come home and cut into it and there will be a slab of bacon inside. haha

my veg friends and i sometimes chuckle at how incredulous people are that we actually do not want meat.. and insist that we are really missing out.. um, no. but thx.

mm it's worse in that they can keep it undercover. I get the impression it's very salty (? I intentionally never tried it). So they sneak very small chunks into all kinds of things. I went to buy a potatoe and leak soup there, and almost did until I got a second opinion on the ingredients. I think I looked at a few different things in the supermarket with vegetarian looking labels and ended up just making a cream sauce pasta (n/h) from scratch.

It's western europe though. I don't remember Austria that well but I'd be pretty surpised if there weren't places that catered specifically to vege's

The same thing happens in Australia (and I was equally amused/ suprised when I went vegan for a few months as a deal with my girl at the time) , a lot of it is cattle country so if you don't want beef people have beef...see what I did there?

But while you're here, if you like you can explain why barista's seem to like stiretto's so much.

I'm no barista, and I've never heard of "stirettos", sorry.

if I ever do end up buying an espresso machine, I doubt I'll buy my own grinder.

You would maybe be surprised how much better a shot tastes if beans have been freshly ground.

Look man I'm going to just be honest. You know how I wrote "so thanks for your advice" ? That was a polite of saying you're annoying me and I don't want to talk to you anymore.

I love drinking coffee, but don't think it's important enough to read you trying to lay down the law about it, all the more so it turns out you're not a barista. Getting all serious about it like "you don't seem clear about what you want" is a douchebag move (also I just get a douchebag vibe from you) and I'm only replying to you to bump this otherwise great thread.

I haven't been cooking for sometime so someone please post something delcious. Thanks.

As promised...white chocolate and cranberry pice ar y maen.

If you don't have a planc you can use a heavy based frying pan. I'd definitely recommend getting one though, mine is about 50 years old and was given to me by my great aunt.

Traditional recipe

225g Self raising flour and ½ teaspoon of baking powder

125g of butter cubed (chilled)

75g of sugar

75g of currants or raisins

1 large egg and around a table spoon of milk

a large pinch of mixed spice

Sift the flour and baking powder and mixed spice together into a large bowl.

Rub in the butter until the mix looks like breadcrumbs, then add the sugar and fruit(chocolate).

Crack open the egg into another bowl and beat lightly, add it to the flour mixture and combine. Add the milk until the mixture has a dough like consistency.

Wrap in cling film(Saran wrap) and put it in the fridge for at LEAST two hours.

Once the dough has chilled, put your planc or frying pan onto a very low heat on the hob and rub with a really small amount of butter - you won't need much at all and you won't need to oil it again, leave it to heat up.

Dust your work surface with flour, roll out the dough to about a quarter inch thick and use cutters to cut into rounds.

Place on the planc/pan a few at a time, flipping them over when you can move them around the pan without them sticking. Keep flipping them until they are cooked through and a golden brown colour on both sides.

Whilst they're still warm dust with caster sugar, then alow to cool on a rack.

For the white chocolate and cranberry just substitute the dried fruit and spices. I've made milk chocolate ones too. You can make savoury ones by substituting the fruit/sugar/spices for...well whatever really. I've done leek and a mature Caerphilly.

Oh yeah, like pancakes, quite often the first ones aren't the best but the rest are usually okay and if they're darkening too quickly the heat is too high. I think that's about it. I would have added the measurements in Cups but seriously, it makes no fucking sense to me at all. Do you just round everything up?

Eat them with a cup of tea and think of me innit :)

Sounds good!

Fred - was just trying to help you.

Why not cool the fuck down, and be a little, I don't know, 'nicer' ?

I'm not even a little heated. I'm nice to people if they don't come off like annoying fools. Like I already said 'thanks for the advice'. Now get off my jock. :rolleyes: n/h

As promised...white chocolate and cranberry pice ar y maen.

If you don't have a planc you can use a heavy based frying pan. I'd definitely recommend getting one though, mine is about 50 years old and was given to me by my great aunt.

Traditional recipe

225g Self raising flour and ½ teaspoon of baking powder

125g of butter cubed (chilled)

75g of sugar

75g of currants or raisins

1 large egg and around a table spoon of milk

a large pinch of mixed spice

Sift the flour and baking powder and mixed spice together into a large bowl.

Rub in the butter until the mix looks like breadcrumbs, then add the sugar and fruit(chocolate).

Crack open the egg into another bowl and beat lightly, add it to the flour mixture and combine. Add the milk until the mixture has a dough like consistency.

Wrap in cling film(Saran wrap) and put it in the fridge for at LEAST two hours.

Once the dough has chilled, put your planc or frying pan onto a very low heat on the hob and rub with a really small amount of butter - you won't need much at all and you won't need to oil it again, leave it to heat up.

Dust your work surface with flour, roll out the dough to about a quarter inch thick and use cutters to cut into rounds.

Place on the planc/pan a few at a time, flipping them over when you can move them around the pan without them sticking. Keep flipping them until they are cooked through and a golden brown colour on both sides.

Whilst they're still warm dust with caster sugar, then alow to cool on a rack.

For the white chocolate and cranberry just substitute the dried fruit and spices. I've made milk chocolate ones too. You can make savoury ones by substituting the fruit/sugar/spices for...well whatever really. I've done leek and a mature Caerphilly.

Oh yeah, like pancakes, quite often the first ones aren't the best but the rest are usually okay and if they're darkening too quickly the heat is too high. I think that's about it. I would have added the measurements in Cups but seriously, it makes no fucking sense to me at all. Do you just round everything up?

Eat them with a cup of tea and think of me innit :)

Sounds sweet. Definately eating it :)

Make sure you take some pictures innit.

I should probably have added they only take around 2/3 minutes each side.

I made Marco Pierre White's Cottage Pie for dinner last night, it was fucking awesome, proper comfort food.

yeah. i'm going gangbusters on cooking when the weather cools, which it seems to be doing already.

i thought i'd be way up on fresh food, raw salads and stuff this summer. like most summers

but instead i just took a hiatus from eating.

so weird. i've lost 10 pounds (4.5 kilos) since may. very odd for me, i've been the same weight for about 15 years.

anyway, time to put it all back on haha. pies sound like a good start. mmm quiche maybe.

I'm not a fan of quiche or regular pies because I don't much like pastry but my dad makes an amazing steak and ale pie with jut a flaky pastry lid for me. When Autumn comes around all I want is stodgy food so today I got up early and made a cawl(lamb stew) and put it in the slow cooker so it'll be done for tea. I'm SO looking forward to it.

Marco's cottage pie recipe in handy youtube video, the mash is in the second video, it's probably the best mashed potato I've ever made...

http://youtu.be/fIRadWyEofw

http://youtu.be/rpjbaKJ5BcA

• 2 weeks later...

should try my fatouch recipe

romaine, fresh mint, cucumbers (i cut the seeds out) tomatos, crumble pita chips and feta.

the dressing = lemon vinigrette. 1/4 cup olive oil, 1/4 cup lemon juice. 1 tbsp sumac and a little salt and pepper.

Give it a play and let me kno. The mint is nice when 2 hours later your mouth still tastes minty fresh

^nice. thanks. great watch.

you're welcome!

i don't think the situation is as extreme over here in europe (yet),

but that documentary really made me think.

definately setting up a garden next year.

i made some excellent black bean burgers this weekend

rolled oats (not instant) really made em great. pics later

sounds good!

question for all who use tvp as meat substitute -

in most recipes they say one should soak the stuff in stock to induce basic flavour.

i've never really knew whether it's beneficial to have them in this soggy state.

rather just threw them in the pot dry / sauté together with onions, and added a lot of spices, stock, etc. later.

what are your thought on this? what's the best way to cook with this stuff?

what other meat substitutes do you know of, use, and recommend?

by the way, if you live in germany - the stuff from dm really is the best.

Soja+Schnetzel+fein+Alnatura+dieumsteiger.blogspot.com.JPG

i was reading about TVP the other day when i made the veggie burgers

it's so highly processed, my cookbook won't use it

(How to Cook Everything Vegetarian)

i did however, experiment with Wheat Gluten Flour to make mock chicken

it was super easy to make, decently tasty and of course i found out the next day

i am highly allergic to it

:(

6167979335_09fcb5b7ba_b.jpg

those were good.

i know, you can't really see the patty.

better pics next time

YUM!

it's so highly processed, my cookbook won't use it.

Can you please elaborate / post a link?

Of course it is processed - but where's the actual problem?

mmm quiche maybe.

scaled.php?server=64&filename=4778854.jpg&res=medium

did i post the recipe for these mini-quiches ?

upper left in the picture are mini-cornbreads that got a little dark, haha.

processed foods are highly suspect

there is real data that suggests it is not very good for people and may be a leading cause of problems like obesity and diabetes.

it also is produced by a litany of chemical treatments that in my opinion, get so far from the original source they lack almost any nutritional value

(so when you see morningstar farms making fake burgers from it they usually have to add in all the nutrients you see, like riboflavin or whatever.. and i don't like that either. like taking a multi-vitamin, i think that when you just consume the chemical structure of a vitamin, versus getting it from a natural source, it's just not as good..)

this might be one reason we don't have 'meal replacements' and 'meal substitues' in the form of taking a pill.. it's not right for the human body, we still need natural sources of food and clearly, we haven't mastered the natural world.

TVP also comes from processed soybeans, which are almost all GMO now, and as a molecular biologist, i just don't think there's been enough research on it to know it's safe

http://www.savvyvegetarian.com/articles/textured-vegetable-protein.php

Most soybeans grown in the US are genetically modified. Safety testing on GMO food products is grossly inadequate and controlled by the GMO food industry. The few independent studies that have been done indicate serious safety problems. More info on GMO's from Seeds of Deception

As Wikipedia said, soy protein isolates are a by-product of soybean oil production, processed at high temperatures, using a vast array of machinery. It appears to keep indefinitely in a dried form. It's a safe bet that, as with most processed food, most of the nutrients except the protein have been processed out of TVP or TSP. There is plenty of evidence that it's toxic in various ways. Does this sound like a natural whole food to you?

http://dgmgv.blogspot.com/2007/06/to-tvp-or-not-to-tvp.html

Wanting to make it somehow I found some recipes but then had also been reading my whole foods encyclopedia that pointed out (and lists it under 'toxic foods', yikes!): 'One, TVP is a highly refined byproduct of soy oil production. Two, it often causes gastric distress because it contains the hard-to-digest oligosaccharides found in soy beans. TVP is made form soy isolate, soy protein that's chemically extracted from defatted soy meal. It is extruded under high pressure and spun into bits or chunks or marketable food-stuffs'.

i have a finicky digestive system. and it does NOT like stuff like that.

the lil quiches look good.

right now i don't have time to look for your recipe but i'll check through later

i have to make my quiche without cream and milk though

^did you click through all the links in the article?

food labels: read em, understand em

silicon dioxide for example = sand

i read an ingredient list for dog food the other day, shit had LIMESTONE in it

another treat bag listed GARLIC.. apparently the peeps making dog food don't know garlic is terrible for a dog's kidneys

Thanks for all the info!

Will have to dive deeper into the topic apparently.

TVP over here (Germany) is almost solely aviable in organic food stores as far as I know.

I checked the brand i posted the product of above, alnatura,

they say it's all made from organic soy beans, so no GMO,

they also say there's zero chemicals involved, only heat, pressure, etc.

You seem to have that aviable in the US, also (somehow assuming you're from the States) - like here.

I will do more research, as I'd like to keep eating the stuff,

but who knows if it's really as healthy as I thought.

Archived