Cooking with 12oz

Guest Are2

word deine. europeans have a much different, and better, idea of what food is than people in the US

so your TVP might indeed be a decent enough meat substitute. i don't know

and yup, i'm in the states

i agree with morton though, natural/non-GMO doesn't equal good.

i'd like to branch into tempeh now that i don't think i can eat seitan due to allergies.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just because something is natural does not make it necessarily good for you, syphilis for example is natural but not good for you.

Do you really want to explain to me that Syphillis is bad?

I was not talking about 'natural', I was talking about organic.

At least over here, organically grown automatically implies

no GMO, no pesticides, more or less no chemicals involved in general, etc p.p.

I found a nice recipe for making seitan yourself, from Switzerland.

If people are interested, I'll translate it!

Okay fine, just because something is organic does not make necessarily good for you. I stole the syphilis example from a video on nutrition by some dude at mit that I watched many moons ago. In the video the the professor describes a student who consumes much honey and goes on and on about how since the honey is natural it is good for you to which he replies, "honey syphilis is natural"

My point was not directed at you in particular mister mudder, I simply think it is wise to not jump in on all the hype that is thrown by individuals and corporations selling food, especially when they start to talk like the shit is magic.

deine, seitan is so easy to make if someone needs help with it, they are a doofus

feel free to post it up though.

i'll never eat it again :(

morton, i agree with you

my man and i were talking about himalayan salt, some people we know think it's 'good for you'

and we argue that no, it's not good for you. it's just far better for you than regular salt

but it's not like one should consume a ton of it expecting an extra benefit... it can still lead to crappy things that excess salt intake leads to, even though it's far less processed and from the himalayas.

ive travelled through the himulayan region...frankly the idea of going there to get salt is preposterous to me.

I'm not super knowledgable about it. But my mother became a natural food freak, and some of it did rub off on me in my teens.

Can't you just buy rock sea salt? How processed is that ?

I simply think it is wise to not jump in on all the hype that is thrown by individuals and corporations selling food, especially when they start to talk like the shit is magic.

Yes, you're right.

!@#$% - sorry, I know you can't eat the stuff.

I just found out recently how easy it is to make it yourself at home;

hardly bought it at the organic food stores, as it's always pretty expensive.

Honestly, I don't think it's that easy to get it right,

let alone that it tastes nice in the end.

Maybe you're more talented.

Whatever, this thread isn't well visited anyways, and if nobody cares about it,

I won't bother to translate recipes or share experiences about seitan.

• 4 weeks later...

297574_2598863689843_1202290914_33073762_1045795104_n.jpg

313519_2598865329884_1202290914_33073763_1570274261_n.jpg

1st cake I have baked in years (normally my wife bakes)

easy sponge

250g self raising flour

250g Sugar

250g butter

4 eggs

teaspoon of baking powder

vanilla extract

cream butter and sugar togther, beat the eggs then add beaten eggs and flour and baking soda and mix together, then add vailla extract to taste.

Could probably do lots of variations on the theme, the icing is simple butter icing (just butter and icing sugar) but used some food colouring to make it different colours.

It would have been better but only hadd 1 cake tray so I had to cut it in half once it had cooled.

So this market by house is having a sale on whole rabbit and I got one. Anyone got experience cooking up Thumper? So far it looks like marinating overnight is the best way to go. Red wine also seems like a given with some fresh herbs. I'm hoping for something tried and true.

wow. none whatsoever.

deinne

This is the way to go when you want a burger and have neither the time nor the inclination to fuss. When made with chickpeas, they're golden brown and lovely; with black beans, much darker; with red, somewhere in between. Lentils give you a slightly grainy texture. There are, of course, an infinite number of ways to jazz these up (see the variations, as well as "13 Ways to Build Delicious Burgers"), but this has good flavor and texture and is excellent served on a bun with the usual fixings. If you start with beans you've cooked yourself-especially well-seasoned ones-the results will be even better, and you can put the bean-cooking liquid to good use (I usually don't use the liquid from canned beans, which often has a tinnier taste than the beans themselves). Like almost all veggie burger mixtures, these will hold together a little better if you refrigerate them first (ideally you'd refrigerate both before and after shaping, but that's only if you have the time).

2 cups well-cooked white, black, or red beans or chickpeas or lentils, or one 14-ounce can, drained

1 medium onion, quartered

1/2 cup rolled oats (preferably not instant)

1 tablespoon chili powder or spice mix of your choice

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

1 egg

Bean-cooking liquid, stock, or other liquid (wine, cream, milk, water, ketchup, etc.) if necessary

Extra virgin olive oil or neutral oil, like grapeseed or corn, as needed

1. Combine the beans, onion, oats, chili powder, salt, pepper, and egg in a food processor and pulse until chunky but not puréed, adding a little liquid if necessary (this is unlikely but not impossible) to produce a moist but not wet mixture. Let the mixture rest for a few minutes if time allows.

2. With wet hands, shape into whatever size patties you want and again let rest for a few minutes if time allows. (You can make the burger mixture or even shape the burgers up to a day or so in advance. Just cover tightly and refrigerate, then bring everything back to room temperature before cooking.) Film the bottom of a large nonstick or well-seasoned cast-iron skillet with oil and turn the heat to medium. A minute later, add the patties. Cook until nicely browned on one side, about 5 minutes; turn carefully and cook on the other side until firm and browned.

3. Serve on buns with the usual burger fixings. Or cool and refrigerate or freeze for later use.

* i did have time to refrigerate and i would recommend doing it

i also don't like frying stuff because it makes a mess, so i baked them

i did about 7 or 8 minutes on each side in a 350˚F oven

and some variations as well as suggestions for additives, here:

http://www.howtocookeverything.com/recipes/the-simplest-bean-burgers

on a similar note, the other day i made tempeh and it is fucking AWESOME

(...) and some variations as well as suggestions for additives, here:

http://www.howtocookeverything.com/recipes/the-simplest-bean-burgers

Simplest Vegan Bean Burger

As a flavor-adder, cheese can't be beat, plus there are two bonuses: You don't have to mess with melting cheese on top of the burger, and-for the most part-it acts as a binder. Add 1/2 to 1 cup grated Parmesan, cheddar, Swiss, Jack, mozzarella, or other cheese to the mix (you can omit the egg if you like).

funny-barack-michelle-obama-face.jpg

Oh, and here's a post from democratic underground about the black bean burger recipe

from Isa Chandra Moskowitz' vegan cookbook 'Veganomicon'.

Haven't tried those yet, but will do this weekend!

They're the best I've ever made and they've become our favorites by far. The vital wheat gluten gives them a nice, firm consistency that is often lacking in veggie burgers.

2 cups or 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed

1/2 cup vital wheat gluten

1/2 cup plain whole wheat bread crumbs

1 teaspoon chile powder

1/2 teaspoon cumin

1/4 cup water

1 tablespoon tomato paste or ketchup

1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro (optional)

2 cloves garlic

1/2 small onion

About 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus olive oil spray

Whole wheat buns

Mash the beans with a fork in a mixing bowl. You don't want to puree them; just get them mashed so that no whole beans are left, but leave some half-beans.

Add the wheat gluten, bread crumbs, chile powder, cumin, water and tomato paste (and cilantro) but don't mix yet. Use a microplane grater to grate the garlic in. Use the large holes on a box grater to grate the onion.

Mix everything together with a fork and then proceed to mix with your hands until the mixture is firm and uniformly mixed (about a minute).

Preheat a heavy-bottomed pan over medium-high heat.

Divide the burger mixture into six equal pieces. Roll each piece into a firm ball. Use your palm to press the ball down on a clean surface to form a patty that is about 1-1/2 inch thick. Press so that the patty is flat on both sides. Make six patties.

Pour a thin layer of olive oil into the pan. Cook the patties three at a time for 5 minutes on each side, gently but firmly pressing down on them with a spatula. Spray with olive oil before turning them over, for uniform browning. Once cooked, the patties should be very firm when you press down on them.

Serve warm on burger buns.

So this market by house is having a sale on whole rabbit and I got one. Anyone got experience cooking up Thumper? So far it looks like marinating overnight is the best way to go. Red wine also seems like a given with some fresh herbs. I'm hoping for something tried and true.

Break it down, get all the meat off it and use it to make a thick bolognaise sauce with heaps of red wine. Serious, it's the fukn biz. So rich and the meat just melts like butter in ya mouth. Fuck I miss my redneck hunting friends

i've been trying to cut back on the wheat but yeah Deine, those burgers are easy, good, and easy to make your own

i also used to make veggie burgers at one of 'my' old restaurants..

basically roasted vegetables were served with or in a lot of their dishes so we had a nearly endless supply of garlic rosemary roasted potatoes and sweet potatoes, tarragon roasted carrots, roasted beets, and roasted red peppers. all were oiled fairly heavily (+salt and pepper) during a roast in a 450 oven

i used to take the leftovers and make burgers

beets are actually a really great vegetable for this. the heavy starch content in most of those veggies made for a good patty, the oil gave it some moisture, and the carrots and peppers gave it a lot of flavor. add in potatoes as needed to thicken the mixture, or toss in an egg or cheese for the vegans (HAHA)

I like to make breakfast pasta on weekends... aka Carbonara

It is a bit like minestroni where I just toss in whatever I got, but usually it is:

onion

garlic

a myriad of seasonings (I always switch it up)

meat products(bacon, sausages, ham, spam, brats ...whatever)

smashed tomatoes

cheese

sautee it with olive oil & butter

6323851798_fea21b652f_z.jpg

add spaghetti(or whatever) and eggs

6323852330_54413ce529_z.jpg

toss it on a plate or bowl, add parmesan & a hint of ketchup

6323325429_0d3f4033e6_z.jpg

If seasoned properly, it won't need shit, but for some reason the bit of catsup sets it off.

Just don't use too many noodles, or it dilutes the scrambled egg bites and leaves a ton of left overs.

• 2 weeks later...

Been away from the oontz for awhile and besides picking up a coke habit i also started cooking.

1 1/2lb ground turkey

2 eggs

1cup of bread crumbs or crushed crackers

1 diced onion

hot sauce

pepper

Mash that shit up in a bowl and bake at 350 for an hour and you got yourself some mighty fine turkey meatloaf. Dont forget to but on the topping before you bake it tho

Ketchup

Brown sugar

hot sauce

mustard

All to taste

coke's not so great with food.

try weed.

i am going to make a veg version of shepherd's pie this winter. maybe i'll use tempeh.

that stuff ain't too bad.

Deine glad you enjoyed it

the best part of those sorta recipes s you just do with them what you will, it ain't puff pastry

Archived