Cooking with 12oz

Guest Are2

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
haha...it does look like cat food.

i usually just buy and cook my own chicken breast, but I bought this thinking it would save me some time.

threw it into my stir fry and it was pretty bland.....just looking for ways to make it more palatable.

One word for you. bacon. it fixes everything :tongueclosed:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Kirkland canned chicken isn't half bad, not much of a recipe staple but it's bomb for a super quick midday sandwich or half assed chicken salad. I'll usually just throw in some mayo, salt, pepper and whatever hot sauce is close and go to town, or just throw it into a regular salad so I feel like I'm not losing a man card. Edit: I did not know how old that post was, I really gotta pay attention to this shit.

Trying to live a little healthier these days. Fuck canned chicken, you can take any piece of chicken and bake or simmer it for 30min while you do other shit and it won't be jacked up with water, salt, or preservatives. If I simmer it I might throw some quick spices in the pot too for added flavor. When done, you can even skim the fat and use or save the water to make noodles or the beginnings of chicken stock. Lately instead of using mayo I'll mash some ripe avocado, takes seconds, has similar consistency to mayo, tastes better, and is 10 times healthier.

lime cupcakes ftw.

INGREDIENTS

1/2 cup lime juice, freshly squeezed

• 2tablespoons tequila

• 1⁄2teaspoon salt

• Icing

• 1tablespoon tequila

• tiny drop green food coloring

• 1⁄2cup large crystal decorator sugar (to decorate edge of cupcakes)

DIRECTIONS

1. Cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350 F and line muffin pan with cupcake liners.
  2. Beat together lime juice, zest, soy milk, oil, tequila, vanilla and sugar.
  3. Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Combine into the wet ingredients and mix until smotth.
  4. Fill liners about 3/4 fill. I use an ice-cream scoop. Baek 20-22 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
  5. Transfer cupcakes to a cooling ratck and cook completely before frosting.
  6. Icing: Blend margarine until soft and fluffy; stir in soy milk, lime juice, tequila and food coloring. Use only the tiniest bit of food coloring.
  7. Sift in 2 cups confectioners sugar and blend until smooth and creamy. Add additional confectioner sugar if the icing appears too liquidy. Refrigerate until ready to use.
  8. Spread icing on the cupckaes spreading all the way to the edges.
  9. Roll the outer edge of the cupcakes in the sugar crystals.

• 1 month later...
Trying to live a little healthier these days. Fuck canned chicken, you can take any piece of chicken and bake or simmer it for 30min while you do other shit and it won't be jacked up with water, salt, or preservatives. If I simmer it I might throw some quick spices in the pot too for added flavor. When done, you can even skim the fat and use or save the water to make noodles or the beginnings of chicken stock. Lately instead of using mayo I'll mash some ripe avocado, takes seconds, has similar consistency to mayo, tastes better, and is 10 times healthier.

Of course a nice size pot works but if you get a large electric skillet like...

Presto-06852-16-Inch-Electric-Skillet.jpg.d161f00df6650ab9e12ca1ab86812d2e.jpg

Like this ^^^ its easy to fit a whole flat of chicken breasts in it. Season them and stuff them in there. 250 or so and flip in twenty minutes. Toss in some water, let it boil down, toss in a bit more, let it boil down. Chicken always comes out moist, tender, and flavor full. Lately Ive been picking up a jar of some random simmer sauce. Throw in the chicken, empty the jar, fill the jar with water, shake up to get all thats left, and dump the rest in with the chicken. Cook all that up till you boil down everything and comes out great.

• 11 months later...

i have been on something called a low FODMAP diet for a few months

it's been a killer but i really like the health changes i'm experiencing.

it's meant though, that i've had to completely rethink how i cook, and basically a lot of my food has been really boring

diet doesn't last forever, luckily. i could use a few of those lime cupcakes.

• 2 weeks later...

Easy smeazhy rice pudding. All quantities eyeballed according to the amount of pudding desired. Heavy cream.

Boiled rice(I use a mix of wild rice and white, like a good timber nig should )

Maple syrup(the real shit, reserve that hoe miss Butterworth for your Bisquick son)

Golden raisins, cinniman, and sliverd almond for garnish.

Okay so basically this shit is more a bowl of rice soaked in heavy cream, syrup and topped with shit to make it pretty. But trust me it's tasty and worth the effort. Take the pre boiled rice and put it in a pan with your heavy cream and warm it up like a child with maleria in Malii(keep stirring it milk skin ain't no fun). Add the syrup once warmed ccompletely (don't boil) and stir until the rice cream and syrup are melded together. Add a dash of cinnamon to get the flavor in the mix, then pour into a dish and garnish with more cinnamon, raisins and almonds for a crunch. My grandmother's recipie for using leftover rice. I guess if you don't want much fat you could substitute milk, but why the fuck would you want to do that it's even less like pudding...IMG_20160702_194637.thumb.jpg.76902df34ebf7b7534bd83f49e07cc8d.jpg IMG_20160702_194637.thumb.jpg.76902df34ebf7b7534bd83f49e07cc8d.jpg IMG_20160702_194637.thumb.jpg.76902df34ebf7b7534bd83f49e07cc8d.jpg IMG_20160702_194637.thumb.jpg.76902df34ebf7b7534bd83f49e07cc8d.jpg IMG_20160702_194637.thumb.jpg.76902df34ebf7b7534bd83f49e07cc8d.jpg let cool and enjoy.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Anyone know what brand of mozzarella is typically used in Mexican dishes? Trying my best to reverse engineer the Special from Super Rica.

Surprised no one answered, and I'd venture to presume you've figured it out. But in case anyone else wonders anything similar in the future, usually it'll be your standard "Mexican Market" mozzarella, or not mozzarella at all, but cotija. My local market carries this brand:

2481e34b-7d2b-4b9c-bbe5-1b1424513dda_1.jpg.56b27686c21e22898dc0977e558a9c2f.jpg

920c455a-94c2-4c54-8d85-41241db84ad1_1.jpg.e8ed7f2f1a756787df797e578fc580b7.jpg

Surprised no one answered, and I'd venture to presume you've figured it out. But in case anyone else wonders anything similar in the future, usually it'll be your standard "Mexican Market" mozzarella, or not mozzarella at all, but cotija. My local market carries this brand:

[ATTACH=full]224176[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]224177[/ATTACH]

Actually got sidetracked, so no. But thank you... Will definitely try this out.

• 3 weeks later...

need more pickle recipes.

also, im looking for an afghani pulao rice recipe that doesnt have any meat or vegetables in it...just rice, spices, and cumin seeds....something i can make in a rice cooker....also any chicken recipes to go with it....im trying to make something similar to the gyro carts in NYC (halal guys, etc).

I'm assuming you've tried to look this up? Not sure how the rice being meat/veg free matters if you're serving chicken with it?

For authenticity, make sure you cook with dirty hands and don't be afraid to add a touch of cross contamination. Make sure you address everyone you serve it to as "Boss."

^LOL!!

yeah, ive actually spent the past 2 days trying to find a legit recipe...ive tried everything from serious eats to reddit to youtube to googling a ton of different things

the reason i want it to be meat free is because they usually cook the rice with the meat inside the rice; i was trying to find the rice recipe and then use another chicken (grilled) recipe to put the chicken on top using a different marinade.

this video is the closest thing ive found to the rice that im looking for...but i really wanted something in a rice cooker because this has way too many steps...

looks kind of disgusting, but this is what im trying to make (not my picture)...

o.thumb.jpg.d03dcfb47ea3132c0524c76ed6513aed.jpg

i will be using sriracha instead of harissa sauce.

ive already got two good white sauce recipes.

im pretty sure the chicken is just chicken tikka made with boneless thigh

im just iffy on the rice.

Yup, looks like what comes from a typical NYC food cart. I know what you're going for though, have a nice Afghani restaurant near me that serves up good stuff with good presentation and the rice is amazing. They do pumpkin puree on the side instead of the lettuce/white sauce mix.

Ignoring the fact that it looks like the pot that went in the oven has a plastic top (?!) I see what you mean there. Fruit/nuts missing. I would just skip the oven and pretty much follow your recipe in the rice cooker or stove top, throw everything in together or add across cooking time depending on how much you want flavors to mix and how crunchy you want your nuts (yeah I said that). Also feel like I've seen before where the rice is made with stock, maybe in lieu of cooking it with meat in it? I love adding stock or other ingredients to rice as it cooks to make it more flavorful.

So are you starting up your own food truck? A little Calighanistan style? Or would that be Afghanifornia?

Archived