Cooking with 12oz

Guest Are2

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's see, I'm really thinking about becoming vegetarian. It's just too tiring thinking about downer cows and arsenic chicken and mercury fish. It is really starting to get to me. As well as seeing all the horrible treatment the animals get from their handlers, the horrible backward corporate abuse theys get, and the awful environmental effects of the whole operation.

I stopped eating beef about 6 mos. ago. I still eat some meat, but have been trying to limit intake to under 1/5 my daily calories. I have gotten my meat from a farmer who grass feeds, but I'm not really feeling the need for much of it lately. Maybe I'll just quit sometime, who knows.

* further notes on rice, grains

Short and medium grain rice would over cook if you used 2:1 ratio, best used 1.5:1 for medium grain, and 1.25:1 for short grain (sushi) rice. Wild rice on the other hand is about 4:1 ratio. 2.5:1 seems to be the magic number for lots of other large kernel grains such as steel cut oats, and brown rice. 2:1 should work for smaller grains like quinoa or millet.

• 1 year later...

shrimp and grits

sounds shitty to some im sure, but its rocking. believe me.

ingredients

2 servings cooked grits

2 tablespoons olive oil

1/2 cup diced tasso ham*

2 tablespoons diced leeks

2 tablespoons diced onion

2 tablespoons diced green peppers

20 medium to large shrimp, peeled and de-veined, with tails on

1 to 2 tablespoons white wine

1 cup heavy cream

Salt and pepper

Green onion tops, chopped

*Cook's Note: Tasso is a Cajun ham and is often hard to find outside of Louisiana, but you can find it at some specialty gourmet shops or by mail order. If not, you can substitute salt pork, pancetta, or prosciutto, but you will have to beef up your seasonings, as tasso is very flavorful.

Directions

Cook grits according to package directions; set aside and keep warm.

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add tasso and saute until crisp. Add diced vegetables and saute until onions are translucent. Add shrimp and saute for 30 to 45 seconds, or until pink. Remove from the pan and set aside. Deglaze the pan with a little white wine. Slowly add the cream and let reduce until thickened. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.

Divide grits among 2 serving plates. Line plate edges with shrimp (10 shrimp per serving). Pour sauce over grits. Garnish with green onion tops.

the tasso might be a problem, but i just old bay the hell out of the shrimp and leave out the tasso. and using shallots for the onions is ggggrrreeaaatt as well

or

Ingredients

1 cup stone-ground grits

Salt and pepper

1/4 cup butter

2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese

1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined, left whole if small and roughly chopped if medium or large

6 slices bacon, chopped into tiny pieces

4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice

2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

1 cup thinly sliced green onions, white and green parts

1 large clove garlic, minced

Method

1. In a medium saucepan, bring 4 cups water to a boil. Add the grits and salt and pepper to taste. Stir well with a whisk. Reduce the heat to the lowest possible setting and cook the grits until all the water is absorbed, about 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the butter and cheese. Keep covered until ready to serve.

2. Rinse the shrimp and pat dry. Fry the bacon in a large skillet until browned and crisp, then drain on a paper towel. Add the shrimp to the bacon grease in the skillet and sauté over medium heat just until they turn pink, about 3 minutes. Do not overcook! Immediately add the lemon juice, parsley, green onions, and garlic. Remove the skillet from the heat.

3. Pour the grits into a serving bowl. Pour the shrimp mixture over the grits. Garnish with the bacon bits.

NOTE: If you are serving this as an appetizer, spoon 1/4 cup grits onto a bread or salad plate. Top with 1/4 cup of the shrimp mixture. Garnish with a sprinkling of crisp bacon bits and serve immediately.

both of these are great.

but the key is real stone ground grits.

you want these.

i have the mixed grits.

i got them in bulk at the charleston farmers market last year.

they also sell them in grocery stores throughout the south

the quaker instant and even old fashioned grits are pretty shitty compared to the real thing.

and !@#$%, remind me to give you some of these grits next time we get into something

• 2 weeks later...

Marco's Almost Famous Frijoles A La Charra -

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(2) Pounds of Pinto Beans

(1) Pack of Sliced Bacon

(1) Bundle of Cilantro

(1/2) White Onion

(1) Can of sliced jalapenos

Salt

Clean the beans by hand taking out the rocks & any ugly/rotten beans. After inspection, place in a colander/strainer and run them under the water for a minute or so.

Place the beans in a large pot. Fill the pot 3/4 of the way with water. Place on stove with the burner on med/high. Add about 2-3 tablespoons of salt evenly distributed over the water/beans.

While the beans are cooking, chop up the onion & cilantro (stems and all....but not the rubber band!).

Cut each bacon strip into about 6-7 pieces. Place the bacon onto a pan and cook, but do not let the bacon become crispy. Seperate the bacon & the grease, after you turn off the burner and let things cool, of course.

After maybe an hour of cooking the beans, add the chopped onion, cilantro, bacon, and chopped jalapenos. Add about 1/2 of the vinegar that came in the can of jalapenos. Mix everything well.

Cook for another 15-20 minutes. You may have to add more water & salt.

Feeds: A lot of drunk people. You can adjust the amount of ingredients to suit your needs and hotness level (less or more jalapenos/vinegar). Can be made with or without bacon. Some people like to add diced tomatos.

that is a great link! thanks!

and thx too for hooking up the recipes again, stil waiting on mero haha

for that omelette, don't forget to beat the eggs, before and after you put themin the pan to get it nice n fluffy.

omelettes are good to stuff leftovers into as well.

i've been on the leftover kick since the economy hasn't been baller.

good to use that sht

fucking omlette. healthy, easy, tasty.

eggs

cheese (chedder and mozz)

green onions

basil

tomatoes

sausage

you know what to do.

That would make a tasty omelet edogg, especially with the basil...

I have a new roommate that moved in last week and this post reminds me of the first meal he cooked at the house and the first meal he claimed to cook in his life. He made a cheese omelet and had to watch more than one youtube tutorial and wrote down step by step instructions.

step#1 - crack eggs

step#2 - add cheese

step#3 - GTFO

Shit should be common sense...but this idiot also put spaghetti noodles in the recycling.

Fried Chicken

In a plastic bag flour, salt, pepper, old bay.

In the pan butter and olive oil.

Chicken trimmed of extra fat and rolled in the flour, thrown in the pan at medium heat, cook till done, make a simple gravy with chicken broth and a little milk after.

Serve with rice and collard greens.

Top notch diner.

do this:

buy butterfly porkchops, bacon and stuffing

make stuffing

put inside of porkchops

wrap stuffing filled porkchops in bacon (i usually use three slices)

throw in oven for 40 mins on 350 or whatever you feel is necessary

bonus round:

buy red potatoes

boil til kinda soft

put in wok with hella butter and some oil

add garlic and other seasonings (salt, pepper, what-the-fuck-ever you want)

remove when they reach an alomst mashed consistency

en-fucking-joy

this is guaranteed to give you a heart attack or a feeling of supreme awesomeness in your guts.

Tonight I made some vegan fare (no I'm not vegan): I did the okonomiyaki recipe from vegetarian times this month, submitted by one of the Veganomicon chiquitas, the cuter one. And pressed sushi with avos, marinated shitake, cukes, carrot, peppers, wakame seaweed, fried then sliced twice, extra firm tofu. I was given the press a while ago by some japanese friends, and never used it. It works pretty nice, it would probably have been nicer if I used a little less filling, a couple of the end pieces were falling apart. I used some burdock root for the first time as well, not bad. I pulled double duty with some of the sushi ingredients to make the okonomiyaki. I remember those cute little okonomiyaki makers from japan, I just used my cast iron skillet which I never used before, it could probably have looked a bit nicer. I didn't have japanese potatoes, but I used a little xanthan gum a picked up at the organic section of the supermarket, 1 tsp. for a batch and a half, that worked well, I feel, to simulate the texture. For an awesome looking example of this dish see the, I think, Kyoto episode of No Reservations. Everyone was pretty much content, including myself, now it's time to watch the Caps-Pens and have a beer.

Fried Chicken

In a plastic bag flour, salt, pepper, old bay.

In the pan butter and olive oil.

Chicken trimmed of extra fat and rolled in the flour, thrown in the pan at medium heat, cook till done, make a simple gravy with chicken broth and a little milk after.

Serve with rice and collard greens.

Top notch diner.

making me hungry... are you from somewhere along the coast? most people dont know about the old bay.

my mom always used a recipe just like that... but she now dredges the chicken in that same flour mixture, then into eggs and hots auce whooped together. then back in the flour, then in the pan.

and we always eat 'chicken' gravy with it, but its really 'sawmill' gravy made from some left over chicken grease from the pan just like you would put over biscuits.

The fried chicken recipe is southern, for the gravy add flour to the pan after taking out the chicken to absorb the fat, then wisking constantly slowly add chicken broth making sure to let the mixture absorb the liquid before adding more until it starts to look like gravy, I like to use milk also.

If you want it can be nice to add a little bacon fat to the pan before cooking also but do not go overboard with it, adds a nice flavor to the gravy.

yeah, we always used milk for the gravy.

reason i asked about the old bay was because my family in southern appalachia doesnt know a thing about old bay... until recently, it seemed to be a southern coastal/piedmont thing. now im hearing middle tennesseans using it. the beauty of the modern world.

I am from Seattle and my grandmother who taught me the recipe who is from Oklahoma, I think that she may have used Johny's though and the old bay might be my own touch. I would not trust the fried chicken recipe on the side of the old bay can however, something like equal amounts old bay to flour, yikes.

Here is another easy dish: can of black beans liquid reserved, fry chopped onion and green pepper until soft, add beans 1tsp garlic powder and 1/2 tsp thyme and cook for a bit, add chopped tomato cook for a bit then add the reserved liquid from the beans with 3tbs apple cider vinegar and some hot sauce reduce heat to simmer. Serve over rice. Dish is better the next day as is often the case with bean dishes.

I would not trust the fried chicken recipe on the side of the old bay can however, something like equal amounts old bay to flour, yikes.

That's sort of something called Maryland Fried Chicken, it's pretty awesome, pretty much any fried chicken is awesome, from thick ass buttermilk brined and dredged, and coated, to nekkid, nothing on it chicken. Course you have to have a green, a bean, and some kinda potato.

I think that rice with gravy is a fine substitute for potato.

So how about cooking greens? What I do is get some collard greens and kale fry up some bacon drain most of the fat add garlic and green onions then greens fry some more then add chicken broth and simmer until done.

• 6 months later...

Eat the fuck out of it! A.K.A. cooking with 12oz

Did the cooking with 12oz thread get lost in the server meltdown?

Anyway, there were some good ass recipes in that thread and I think it should be resurrected. If this thread takes off I will post some of my favorite meals. This is one from the original thread that I have made quite a few times. I don't know the "measurements", but anyone that cooks regularly doesn't use them anyway...

Wilt a handfull of spinach in a hot pan of olive oil, add mushrooms and fresh garlic.

Remove from pan.

Mix with some grated parmesan cheese and sour cream.

Butterfly a chicken breast and stuff with the mixture.

Salt and pepper to taste.

Wrap it in bacon.

Bake around 350-375 for 30-45 minutes.

To quote the original recipe... EAT THE FUCK OUT OF IT!

Re: Eat the fuck out of it! A.K.A. cooking with 12oz

I pump on the streets from the AM to the PM

A nigga want beef, Imma spray 'em when I see em

Lay 'em when I see 'em

AK 'em when I see 'em

Hop out the Bronco and OJ 'em when I see 'em

Cut a bone out his skin

Fish fillet 'em when I see 'em

Than wire his grill, Kayne 'em when I see 'em

My young'ns on they job so I pay 'em when I see 'em

Turn boys to men, I wine yay 'em when I see 'em

'Cuz I be on the grind from the PM to the AM