Cooking with 12oz

Guest Are2

fish is easy, just season and bake. but really it depends on the fish. i like to pan fry/cook my tuna. so it looks like this:

15%20tuna.jpg

see how the outside is cooked but the inside is kinda raw looking? thats the prefered way.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know alot about cooking fish though....any suggestions?

most fish can be done up really simply. season w/ salt and pep before you throw it in some oil at med-high. and then have a complimentary sauce to put over top after you cook i t to medium or med rare.

or you can bake it. super easy. i can teach you a technique thats so simple and so good. (and impressive to boot)

• 2 weeks later...

Got me free copy of Nasty Bits in the mail, anyone else? Sweet, dude. I have just started reading another book though, so it will have to wait. I just got back from Mex(honeymoon, yeah, I know, I know, hey, I wanted to, but we decided to keep it small), and it was here waiting for me when I opened the door. Had some really great food down there, not to mention the weather, coming back to thishit sucks ass. Nothing looked really great down there, but it all tasted phenomenal, except the "thai" food we had the first night, that was hideous, "thai", whatever. I have had better Thai food from a package. I vowed to stick to Latin food after that, and was not disappointed.

On a side note, I didn't get sick down there, she got sick before getting on the plane, and there was some discomfort with me as well and I had an explosive one the day after I got back. Assuming it was something I picked up down there, it was still worth it.

I wasn't able to get a copy of that , fruc, because im in canada. bummer.

i quit the biz about 6 months ago though. i kind of miss it, but i love my weekends!

although me and a buddy are in the preliminary stages of starting a catering company. just looking to do little things at first but hoping to build it up. i don't miss the stress but it will be ok because its stress over my own shit, you know?

HP, I think that's definately a good move, there is so much politics in the restaurant business you have to put up with, when you are doing it on your own you own the politics. Own, now that is a funny word, there should be two different spellings for the two different meanings.

this isnt the most gourmet shit on earth but its easy and good

.carrots, peas, and mushrooms

.rice

.water chesnuts

.thin sliced steak

.teriyaki sauce.

takes like 20 minutes because you have to wait on rice.

im eating this shit right now with a salad that i threw together.

the buenos aires style empanada

all done in a frying pan/one of those grill-pan thingies

steak mince, fry it with paprika in the pan

add onions

add raisins

add black olives

then add cumin and black pepper

then put about 2 spoonfulls of your filling into pastry, you can get pre-made empanada wraps so I aint fucking around making pastry

fold it and seal it, put it back in the pan for 2-3 minutes till the pastry hardens

fuckin' lurvely

saw this on rachel ray's show the other day and i made it. its fucking good

smokey chipotle cheddar mac

1 pound macaroni elbows or cavatapi corkscrew shaped pasta twists

Salt

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, 1 turn of the pan, plus some for drizzling

3/4 pound chorizo, 1 package, casing removed and diced

1 (15-ounce) can diced fire roasted tomatoes, drained

1 small onion, finely chopped

2 chipotle in adobo and their juices, chopped or 1 tablespoon ground chipotle chili

3 tablespoons all-purpose flour

3 cups whole milk

1 cup chicken stock

3 cups shredded smoked Cheddar

Place a pot of water on to boil for macaroni. When it boils, salt water and cook pasta until a little under done, just shy of al dente.

While pasta cooks, place a small nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and add a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil and chorizo. Brown the chorizo then add the canned tomatoes to the pan and heat them through. Remove from heat and reserve.

While chorizo begins to cook, heat a medium sauce pot over medium-low heat. Add 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, then add onions and chipotles and cook 3 to 5 minutes to sweat it out and turn the juices sweet. Raise heat up a bit, add the flour and whisk together until mixture bubbles up. Cook 1 minute more. Whisk in milk and stock and raise heat up a little more to bring the sauce to a quick boil. Once it bubbles, drop heat back to a rolling simmer sauce to thicken, 3 to 5 minutes.

Drain macaroni or pasta. Add cooked pasta back to the large pot.

Add cheese to milk sauce and stir to melt, a minute or so. Stir in chorizo and tomatoes and season sauce with salt and pepper. Pour sauce over cooked pasta in large pot and toss to combine. Transfer to a large serving platter, garnish with chives and serve.

Re: Cooking with Are2

the red one is called gochujang, my mom bought me a big tub of it. 2 great ways to make use of that stuff:

heat up pan

add sesame oil

add steamed rice

add paste

add veggies

mix

fried egg on top

buy red leaf lettuce

make luttuce cup using steamed rice

dab of paste

some korean bbq in it is even better

i was buying the gochujang in a small container for $8.00 in japan.

i found a humongo xxl container for $2.00 at a korean foods store in chicago. how the hell does something like that happen?

i just bought a bimbimba bowl i am so psyched.

sookl do you know how to make kimchee? i want to make it but without the shrimp/fish paste.

symbols im trying to make that pumpkin cheescake tonight. thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Haha aww...we're sick anyways...but lets have burgers and cheap Winter Ale at the Cambie Monday....and we should still have a cook off one of these days.

I'll post photos of the French Toast I'm making tomorrow morning. I kind of want it for dinner but that probably isn't a good idea.

Archived