Dhabz Draggin Christmas Steak Thread

mr.yuck

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
55 minutes ago, Dirty_habiT said:

on a different but related subject using baking soda on beef causes the Maillard reaction to to occur easier. If you put a little on steak you'll get a good sear on it. 

I haven't done it but a few times but I think next time I'd melt a tablespoon of butter and add the baking soda to that so that the surface area of the coating would be way higher than trying to spread powder on the steak. Anyway don't want to derail from chicken here. 

• LOL! 1

Another favorite is making hobo packs for camping.

onion, garlic, thin slice sausage, potatoes cubed, cut green beans, olive oil, salt, and pepper..... all of this goes in a foil pouch that is closed with no holes poked in it. I can put on a clinic for how to fold the pouch too because I'm also a master at that if anyone would like to attend the seminar. Cook on small coleman stove for 45 minutes. Can add cheese when done.

but.... don't want to derail a steak thread. 😄

What kind of niche things are you, in your mind, really good at making?

Thank you for the thread @mr.yuck
  • Like 1
  • Props 1

Dang that's something I haven't had before. We are fortunate here in central and south Texas to have access to prime New York strips at HEB. they sell a few different things in prime grade but I usually just get ny strip because I don't know what I'm doing with the other steaks. 

taking my friend to Texas road house tomorrow night for his birthday. The one by me is owned by Willy Nelson and it's full of artwork of him and his music bros.  Cool joint always packed. 

• Truth 1

13 minutes ago, Dirty_habiT said:

Dang that's something I haven't had before. We are fortunate here in central and south Texas to have access to prime New York strips at HEB. they sell a few different things in prime grade but I usually just get ny strip because I don't know what I'm doing with the other steaks. 

if you can make a ny strip, you can make a ribeye. i eat red meat maybe ten times a year now but a ribeye is my "i have something to celebrate" move.

you can do it on a stove, even. grill is better in every way but you'll still get a nice sear with a thick skillet on a hot stove, preferably cast iron 

• Like 2
  • Truth 1

39 minutes ago, Dirty_habiT said:

You know who knows how to make some good food is @where  I'd be interested to hear his ideas for a few different kinds of steaks. 

I will try rib eye soon because of you @Elena Delle Donne    Thank you for confidence boost. 

You have really never had a rib-eye? NY strips are like bootleg rib-eyes.

Ever have a tenderloin?

1 hour ago, Dirty_habiT said:

You know who knows how to make some good food is @where  I'd be interested to hear his ideas for a few different kinds of steaks. 

I will try rib eye soon because of you @Elena Delle Donne    Thank you for confidence boost. 

The biggest steak tip (pun intended) I can give is finish yurrrr steaks in the oven, unless you are going for a bistro style buttery bitch. One stand by of mine is to brush ribeye or strip with Vietnamese fish sauce let it sit for a minute then dry the shit out of it and pack it in a plastic bag for a day wrapped in dye/scent free paper towels get as much air out of the bag. This is a bootleg dry age method and just try it you won't regret it.

• Props 4

8 hours ago, LUGR said:

You have really never had a rib-eye? NY strips are like bootleg rib-eyes.

Ever have a tenderloin?

I didn't say I've never had them. I don't typically try to cook them. I've cooked a rib eye before but wasn't impressed. Will try again. Will try harder.  Like a sweaty try hard neck beard. 

1 minute ago, Dirty_habiT said:

I didn't say I've never had them. I don't typically try to cook them. I've cooked a rib eye before but wasn't impressed. Will try again. Will try harder.  Like a sweaty try hard neck beard. 

👍 

Real Texans eat the whole cow. That’s why they call them themselves cowboys.

• Truth 1
  • LOL! 1

8 hours ago, where said:

The biggest steak tip (pun intended) I can give is finish yurrrr steaks in the oven, unless you are going for a bistro style buttery bitch. One stand by of mine is to brush ribeye or strip with Vietnamese fish sauce let it sit for a minute then dry the shit out of it and pack it in a plastic bag for a day wrapped in dye/scent free paper towels get as much air out of the bag. This is a bootleg dry age method and just try it you won't regret it.

After the air is out of the bag and you wait a day then what?  Is it supposed to be cooked then?

I wonder if anyones ever turned a wagyu steak into jerky.  

• LOL! 2

2 hours ago, Dirty_habiT said:

I wonder if anyones ever turned a wagyu steak into jerky.  

I am sure, but I haven't had it.  One of my inlaws is raising wagyu strain and finally had some.  Honest opinion, couldn't tell the difference from regular cow.   If I am gonna eat wagyu, I am gonna a eat the Japanese wagyu.  All other wagyu is just sub-par knock off. 

• Truth 1

3 hours ago, LUGR said:

Y’all some trusting muthafuckas if your going to put fish sauce on your steak because @whererecommended it.

Lol, he legit knows how to cook stuff.... like professional chef type stuff.

He helped me with a marinade for some tuna steaks we got out of the Gulf of Mexico...... and they turned out fire af.  I definitely added that recipe to my utility belt.

• Like 1
  • Truth 1

1 hour ago, ndv said:

I am sure, but I haven't had it.  One of my inlaws is raising wagyu strain and finally had some.  Honest opinion, couldn't tell the difference from regular cow.   If I am gonna eat wagyu, I am gonna a eat the Japanese wagyu.  All other wagyu is just sub-par knock off. 

Yeah, it has a lot to do with the type of cow, but it also has a TON to do with the treatment of the animals and what they're fed.  I'm fairly certain the japanese ones are given a couch and some potato chips + tv to chill out with when they're born.

• Truth 1
  • LOL! 1

27 minutes ago, Dark_Knight said:

This is facts. The waygu I had in japan made me realize that all the waygu in america is fake. It is honestly next level shit.

They won't release real Waygu cattle outside of Japan to uphold a strict monopoly (smart). There are serious laws/regulations against it in Japan. The only pure Waygu you can buy in America has been raised in Japan and flown in $$$$. What most people get in the U.S. is a domestically raised Waygu half breed, made from flown in sperm mixed with a domestic breed. Still marbled AF and pretty delicious, but not the pure uncut.

• Like 1
  • Truth 1

1 hour ago, Dirty_habiT said:

Lol, he legit knows how to cook stuff.... like professional chef type stuff.

He helped me with a marinade for some tuna steaks we got out of the Gulf of Mexico...... and they turned out fire af.  I definitely added that recipe to my utility belt.

😂 I looked it up and the fish sauce technique is legit.

• Truth 1
  • LOL! 1