The general discussion thread within our general discussion.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
On 5/30/2024 at 5:55 PM, SMdoubleXL said:

A few days into my new job and my coworker updates me on their attempt unionize since last October or so. 

being self employed most my life it’s never been an option. My last job there are talks of trying to organize kinda recently 

I have handed in my card. 

really open to anything yall with experience have to say 

Update: the company I work for has been served their petition from the labor board. It’s deep in the process now. 
1998FC54-6F2C-4A2C-8BE6-FFD096969252.thumb.jpeg.1c887974e3ac6e2615c56953fd06a2a6.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Props 2

My job has been trying to unionize for a bit now but I feel like alot of the momentum has fallen.. granted, we're just a floor of restaurants in a hotel but our restaurant group that owns those outlets is essentially using the space in the hotel and own other restaurants as well but given the shenanigans that's been going on everyone has been pissed about it, been down to unionize, but don't wanna do the work to make it happen essentially.. the first two meetings were a solid turn out, but the bullshit keeps happening and lately one of the sommeliers of the other room left to open some Lebanese fine dining spot and a good handful of people jumped ship to follow him...

Long story short, lot of bullshit has gone down,  management sucks, people are speculating because management sucks we might lose the contract with the hotel so unionizing is gonna guarantee our job security as well as increase our pay but nobody wants to do the work.. even more of a reason I'm trying to invest in this voice over work so I don't have to rely on shit like this or have to jump from bar to bar to make ends meet.. shits annoying and stressful and ain't nobody got time for that..

• Like 4

@Tails0nEis it hard to get voice over work?  You sound like you have the golden voice, and it's kind of one of those you either got it or you don't type things that few possess.  I can't claim to know a lot about it but Howard Stern hits on it a lot in terms of having the voice, enunciation and related shit.  Seems like you'd be in demand for every radio/tv/movie type voice over.

2 hours ago, One Man Banned said:

@Tails0nEis it hard to get voice over work?  You sound like you have the golden voice, and it's kind of one of those you either got it or you don't type things that few possess.  I can't claim to know a lot about it but Howard Stern hits on it a lot in terms of having the voice, enunciation and related shit.  Seems like you'd be in demand for every radio/tv/movie type voice over.

Well during covid I found this website that was basically like a linked in but for voice over artists but that shit was kind of annoying.. $500 annual fee, the website gets a 20% platform fee from any and all gigs you get but I guess the only plus side was you get direct deposited to your PayPal account every Friday depending on how many gigs you do a week.. but it was ironically hella competitive because there's people on there who's been doing it for like 20+ years.. each gig you see it'll tell you the word count, time length, application deadline and due date deadline but it would also tell you how many people applied already.. so it'd be like 236 people applied, 1143 people applied and what not..

So right now I have a demo reel I still gotta fuck with and get headshots done cause alot of these agencies require headshots attached with your demo reel.. I got a friend who referred me to her friend she went to but that's gonna be $400 for the photoshoot.. but I had a guest at my job tell me to find an agency to represent me instead that way they can do the grunt work and find work specifically for my voice rather than digging through emails for shit that doesn't match my voice and style and stuff you know.. 

So that's the route I'm trying to go now but I'm gonna bang out these like 11 days straight of work between my job and lolla, take a couple days off, fix my car and then get these headshots done since im gonna have alot of extra cash for everything after all this..

• Like 2
  • Props 1

5 hours ago, SMdoubleXL said:

Tryin to get a haircut today. I’m seriously considering mullet-ing it up. I got a lot of party and a good amount of business to work with. 

Do it. You won't regret it. I've been riding around blasting American Bad Ass giving these red hat wearing weirdos the finger.

• Props 1
  • LOL! 1

Mullets, crocs, lawn jockeys, and voice over acting. Somehow washed riff raff made it in. We are fucking CRUSHING this general discussion shit. LOL. 

But seriously though yall need to chill on the crocs hate. What if you have the super not lame merrel version of crocs that look way cooler? And don’t have a mullet…? 

• Like 1
  • LOL! 3

12 hours ago, Tails0nE said:

Well during covid I found this website that was basically like a linked in but for voice over artists but that shit was kind of annoying.. $500 annual fee, the website gets a 20% platform fee from any and all gigs you get but I guess the only plus side was you get direct deposited to your PayPal account every Friday depending on how many gigs you do a week.. but it was ironically hella competitive because there's people on there who's been doing it for like 20+ years.. each gig you see it'll tell you the word count, time length, application deadline and due date deadline but it would also tell you how many people applied already.. so it'd be like 236 people applied, 1143 people applied and what not..

So right now I have a demo reel I still gotta fuck with and get headshots done cause alot of these agencies require headshots attached with your demo reel.. I got a friend who referred me to her friend she went to but that's gonna be $400 for the photoshoot.. but I had a guest at my job tell me to find an agency to represent me instead that way they can do the grunt work and find work specifically for my voice rather than digging through emails for shit that doesn't match my voice and style and stuff you know.. 

So that's the route I'm trying to go now but I'm gonna bang out these like 11 days straight of work between my job and lolla, take a couple days off, fix my car and then get these headshots done since im gonna have alot of extra cash for everything after all this..

An agency is definitely the way to go; they will find auditions for you, and you will save $$$ if you’re paying a website a yearly fee.

I would also consider joining a union that will represent you, and provide long term residuals if it’s an option.

• Like 3

I have noticed that people on Reddit like to agree on alternate reality, not knowing the difference between bombing and piecing fits.

Young people are not doing so well in the critical thinking department now a days.

• Like 1
  • Truth 3

On 8/2/2024 at 2:48 PM, mr.yuck said:

Do it. You won't regret it. I've been riding around blasting American Bad Ass giving these red hat wearing weirdos the finger.

On 8/2/2024 at 4:44 PM, SMdoubleXL said:

Oh I did. I signed and turned in my card within my first two weeks. 

I’m just gonna say it.  This confused the fuck outta me when I read my response. I was HIGH AS FUCK all day that day. I appear to be responding what I thought your response was about us unionizing at work. Ha. 

still gonna get a mullet type cut.  Callin em “shaggy mullet” and other names 

Edited by SMdoubleXL
  • LOL! 1

Editing above because sometimes it doesn’t grow back haha. 

I need a haircut  that covers up my new focus of self conscious.That mullet firm def will.  I didn’t realize how deep the sides of my hairline go back until I saw a pic of me with my head down last year. 
it’s not a widows peek -the sides just recede more than I like. I have grown extremely self conscious about it. My sloppy bun daily really accentuates it too. 

am considering a hairline tattoo. Not tattoo of a hairline but something super fine and delicate/intricate that appears to come out of the hair down into the skin of the forehead. Just up in those receding corners. 

• Props 1

23 minutes ago, LUGR said:

if I go in the pool do you think it will attack me?

No.  If i remeber correctly they run and hide if they can. 

Edited by ndv
  • LOL! 1

2 hours ago, ndv said:

No.  If i remeber correctly they run and hide if they can. 

Braddah……..you wouldn’t be setting me up to get attacked by a water spider would you?!?!

5 minutes ago, LUGR said:

Braddah……..you wouldn’t be setting me up to get attacked by a water spider would you?!?!

Now you have me second guessing myself, I thought those pool spiders are not venomous.  It thought they didn't bite.  

I guess it's been so long I forgot.  

Edited by ndv

I am entering dangerous territory here. 
I have 2 active crushes. (Is that what you call them at my age….sounds weird). One I see at work  (different department) and one who hit me up via IG and we are currently making plans to hang out. We have met prior but only becaue he worked at our dispensary. 

btw. I’m deprived at home and have vocalized it for a better part of the year. Hence the plan of moving. 

• Like 2