Today I learned ...

KILZ FILLZ

That quixotic is not pronounced like Quixote 

kwee-zah-tik

even though it literally describes Don Quixote 

“Quixotism is impracticality in pursuit of ideals, especially those ideals manifested by rash, lofty and romantic ideas or extravagantly chivalrous action. It also serves to describe an idealism without regard to practicality. An impulsive person or act might be regarded as quixotic.”

I learned this word in a book and have been saying wrong.  Fuck me, right? 🤣

• Like 1
  • Props 1
  • LOL! 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
8 hours ago, iloveboxcars said:

When I was younger I said Jen-re instead of the correct way to say genre in front of hella people and they would not shut up about it for a long time. 

At the time I wanted to kill myself over it but now after years of reading way more than talking to people, I’ve realized I still don’t know how to pronounce words that I know the meaning of, and that in a language as disjointed as English one shouldn’t be expected to know how to pronounce everything perfectly.

I’ll even extend that into words that don’t exist. Language is meant to convey an idea, and just because a word someone uses isn’t in the dictionary doesn’t mean it isn’t suitable. People get mad (on the internet) at others for using a word that hasn’t been approved by whoever, but fuck that. Do you understand what they meant? Great, suck a dick and move on you dumb cunt. 

why am I typing so much shit about words right now

Words about words bruh. Word inception. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Fist 666 said:

jalapeno is a fun one, too. 

croissant.

When I was a kid my grandmother from rural Ohio came to visit us in SD. Imagine her trying to navigate the pronunciation of QUESADILLA 😂 

1 minute ago, KILZ FILLZ said:

When I was a kid my grandmother from rural Ohio came to visit us in SD. Imagine her trying to navigate the pronunciation of QUESADILLA 😂 

I hear people in Texas fuck that word up all the time.  They also say holla peen yo.  "Ask me how I know you're not from here."

Also, this "street taco" fad where you get one little squirt of meat on a corn tortilla..... in Mexico and in many places in Texas.... that's just a taco.  When you make an order, you get three.  This is not  "street tacos", they should just be called authentic tacos.  That other bullshit people put on tacos is just some white people shit (I'm white, I can say that).

Don't get me started on what people call sushi in America, or the whole fagatron "breakfast burrito" shit.  We have breakfast tacos, japan doesn't have jalapenos or avocados, and they probably dont' use cream cheese for anything you fat american fucks.

• Like 1

Isn’t making fun of white people using new slang low hanging fruit? Isn’t that how pretty much all slang starts? That’s how we got cool and chill. Dope and fresh. Kicks, whips and chains. Black folk say it, white folk adopt it, black folk abandon it, white folk run it into the ground. I know Curb had an ep on it and if I were to gamble I would bet the Simpson’s did too. 

But - I cannot stand the amount of BRUH and YEET floating around on the net 

• LOL! 1

I used to have the "babies blow" shirt w/ a guy flipping off a baby.  I dunno what happened to it though, I think my gf may have made it disappear.

My grandmother took the scissors to my uncles shirt that had a picture of Charles Manson on the front and said "Is it hot in here or am I just crazy."

Same uncle that had cassette tapes of NWA back in the day, I was WAY too young to hear that music and he told me not to tell grandma he had those tapes.  I never did.

I like Maddox, he is a little crazy, but I think he's pretty on point with a lot of stuff.  Especially with being able to draw better than children.

• Like 1

Welp, that explains a lot @Schnitzel- I had to work under female bosses at my last job.  I do technical computer work, and they were hired to be "people managers".  You want to talk about trying to herd cats on a frozen pond.  Yeesh.

I strongly will consider turning down any future job where the manager is a female.  Not because I'm sexist, but because I don't want any sort of emotion brought into a logical/technical job.  You don't fix computers with how you feel.

I literally got written up by one of them for "bad perception"... like that's some thing you can put your hand on and quantify.  Further, the people that would have complained about me were dumber than a box of rocks.

One job I quit without telling my boss I was leaving because she was an incredibly lonely woman that would stay up late at night harassing me from her bedroom laptop while I was working 3rd shift in the office.  I was responsible for handling "SEV" communications.  Which is basically hair on fire problem for the entire infrastructure, I would be alerted on PagerDuty when a sev occurred because the support managers would decide that something was going on and alert me  about it...... then ol' lonely ass Katie would be texting me and sending slack messages at the same time, "hey are you on this sev, I haven't seen an email go out from you yet."

Like bitch, I'm trying to fuckin work on it, you're interrupting me from typing up the email right now.  I'd be spicy about a dude doing this too, but I don't know many guys that like to sit in their bed w/ their laptop messing w/ work shit during 3rd shift when they work 1st shift.  Left that job so fast when it was decided I was leaving that her head spun.  I know it left her in a shitty spot too because there wasn't anyone good enough on the team to immediately replace the work I was capable of doing.  Good riddance!

Work for a boss now that does exactly 0 micro management.  In fact, I see him like maybe 2 times a week and we work in the same office.... and he never even tells me what to do.  I just find things to do here.... like right now, I'm typing up this post lol.

disclaimer: I'm sure there are some great female bosses out there that are very good at leadership positions.  WPEngine.com has a female CEO (Heather Bruner).... fucking amazing woman.  She was the kind of CEO that knew everyone's first names, even the little guys.... she would come ask people how they were doing today almost every day.... and seemed 100% genuinely interested in what you had to say.  I really enjoyed her leadership a whole lot, but maybe that's because she wasn't telling me what to do lol.  Honestly, I think she's not the kind of person to give anyone grief for any reason, just not in her personality.

• Like 1