Homeless problems.

Dirty_habiT

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
2 hours ago, mr.yuck said:

It's getting wild out here. Multiple outside sleeping offenses can get you a couple years. The fuck?

Guess that’s their solution to getting a roof over the homeless’ heads.

vast

• Truth 1

1 minute ago, LUGR said:

Guess that’s their solution to getting a roof over the homeless’ heads.

vast

Why build more shelters when the housing already exists and they can force them to work for nothing. This sounds like something else.

27 minutes ago, fat ralphy said:

you should see the Bay Area - its basically Mad Max type shit on every corner.....tweakers are up to some wild

shit. Imagine having a house worth over a million and some motherfucker digging through your garbage 

iT has to be said on my first visit to the bay area I was pretty blown away by the tent cities and stuff like that under the freeways and that was 2007.

The tenderloin was pretty crazy back then it must be about average now?

8 hours ago, Schnitzel said:

iT has to be said on my first visit to the bay area I was pretty blown away by the tent cities and stuff like that under the freeways and that was 2007.

The tenderloin was pretty crazy back then it must be about average now?

It has gotten far worse everywhere dude - the cost of living is insane, the increasing drug issues have contributed. 

How is it out your way? Im sure there are homeless to some degree everywhere but the Bay Area seems to be a central destination, good weather, social services etc

I think i read this week that my city has the 4th highest per capita in US - this number seems low to me 

363 per 100,000 in a city of 1 million plus 

• Like 1

My city got pretty bad during the pandemic, like most cities, and a lot of the mayhem that comes with large homeless "cities" went unchecked for several years. Now it just seems like things have gotten way out of hand. At first most taxpayers were sympathetic and then once people started to feel unsafe going into downtown they wanted change. So now, I believe, the city government is trying to reverse. I'll be honest, I don't really pay too much attention to what is going on in the city since I moved out of it six years ago. I rarely even go into the city anymore. The last time I was downtown (about a month ago) Old town seemed just as bad as it was at the height of the crazy, the main park along the river seems a little cleaned up but that makes sense due to all the events that happen this time of year. The rest of the city (that I saw) seemed like a shell of its former self. Hardly any people out and about. Felt like I was riding my bike through town on Christmas day when no one is out. 

I don't know what the solution is. I don't think making drugs legal or easily accessible is helping but maybe I'm wrong. A lot of folks talk about housing costs are too high and that's a major factor to the homeless population, which I believe to be true, but it's not like that is going to change. If anything rents and the price of homes are going to increase over the years so even though housing costs are high the solution can't be "lower rents". It's just not going to happen. Just like gas won't go to $2 a gallon if oil prices were to miraculously lower. So I suppose the answer is temporary housing with resources to get people back on their feet. I don't know what that looks like, though. 

I'm obviously zero help and add nothing to the conversation. 

• Like 5

17 hours ago, LUGR said:

Urban camping is not a crime!

For the record, I’m no longer living in a “big” city, so urban campers I have seen around my way lately keep it pretty low key.

• Like 1

@Joker some solid points 

i have worked with this community for a long time and there have been times that clients are on the verge of getting supportive housing ie paid subsidy and they will not show up for appointments etc

I think the mental health component is pretty underrepresented when people speak on the housing crisis. 

My brother is currently homeless and he really doesnt have the executive function to do much considering all of the delusions and paranoia. 

If you live in any major city I think there is little question that homelessness has gotten worse. 

• Like 3
  • Truth 2

Late stage capitalism. Price gouging real estate vultures have made it damn near impossible for average working class Americans to live in most cities worth living in, and it’s only getting worse. Most of us are one lost paycheck away from living in a tent ourselves. Imagine being a working class slob who spends almost the entirety of your existence scrambling paycheck to paycheck to not end up on the streets, and turning around and looking down on those who can’t keep up. Looking at them like they’re subhuman pests to be dealt with like rodents, while admiring the billionaire scumbags who created the society that put them out on the streets in the first place. Imagine being a flag waving sheep who claims to believe in freedom, while wanting to lock people up for literally being free, instead of a wage slave chained and whipped into spending your entire life scrambling like a hamster on a wheel so that you don’t end up on the streets yourself. Imagine thinking you’re superior to people you’re literally one lost paycheck away from being yourself, and thinking your life is more relatable to the filthy rich who you will never have anything in common with. And thinking that if you just keep running on that wheel and don’t slip and fall off, you’ll somehow accumulate enough hamster pellets to be a billionaire yourself. Most Americans have Stockholm syndrome. 🐑

• Like 2
  • Truth 1
  • Props 1

Well, I realize the original poster was in Austin when writing, which isn’t far away from Dallas Ft. Worth where I’m currently located again.

As far as city / state updates DFW has been at a snail like pace to make homelessness illegal for a while.

I’m not any of the folks in DFW that might find their way to this website that have ever been a representative of any tent cities, before Dallas seriously cracked down on them quite some time ago. I’m lucky enough to be accused of having a rich family by writers in my community, without actually knowing any real information to base accusations of other than a nice house.

Despite living with mental health stuff most of might life as well as  having forms of homelessness scattered my past, I consider myself very lucky. If it weren’t for family that I’m currently a burden to, I would be living out of a car right now that is barely running, and in the process of looking for safe wooded space to pitch a tent as someone else mentioned.

Mental health stuff can change folks when having the ability to let homelessness make you or break you, without a traveling partner to rely on or community support, or whatever the crutch may be that may not get them 5150d or arrested.

In my opinion when Denton got on board with making homelessness / living in your car illegal around a year ago, as a small college town that hints at marijuana legalization and reform in its legislation, it opened the floodgates for the solidification of more laws that make homelessness illegal in various forms around DFW.

As well, it created a future space (starting to blossom around the time I’m posting this) of acceptance for normalizing the criminalization of homelessness in Dallas Ft.Worth, among citizens that might otherwise question making being homeless a crime.

I am lucky and entitled or whatever in my own way to have family members willing to put up with having me in the house, despite the fact that they fought it tooth and nail for a couple years not long ago, and have been happy to call the cops and 5150 my a** because they think there’s a bottle with too many pills in it laying around and I’m not taking my meds.

Not to sound ungrateful or anything.
I apologize for any paragraphs that were a mouthful or not well written.

I guess there might be some similarities between late stage capitalism, and late stage communism, that could both benefit from some community organizing in the modern world.

To keep it super Austin, where are the anarchist community builders at when you need them, when it seems all systems seem to crumble in the end.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, toyeattoywaroner said:

Well, I realize the original poster was in Austin when writing, which isn’t far away from Dallas Ft. Worth where I’m currently located again.

As far as city / state updates DFW has been at a snail like pace to make homelessness illegal for a while.

I’m not any of the folks in DFW that might find their way to this website that have ever been a representative of any tent cities, before Dallas seriously cracked down on them quite some time ago. I’m lucky enough to be accused of having a rich family by writers in my community, without actually knowing any real information to base accusations of other than a nice house.

Despite living with mental health stuff most of might life as well as  having forms of homelessness scattered my past, I consider myself very lucky. If it weren’t for family that I’m currently a burden to, I would be living out of a car right now that is barely running, and in the process of looking for safe wooded space to pitch a tent as someone else mentioned.

Mental health stuff can change folks when having the ability to let homelessness make you or break you, without a traveling partner to rely on or community support, or whatever the crutch may be that may not get them 5150d or arrested.

In my opinion when Denton got on board with making homelessness / living in your car illegal around a year ago, as a small college town that hints at marijuana legalization and reform in its legislation, it opened the floodgates for the solidification of more laws that make homelessness illegal in various forms around DFW.

As well, it created a future space (starting to blossom around the time I’m posting this) of acceptance for normalizing the criminalization of homelessness in Dallas Ft.Worth, among citizens that might otherwise question making being homeless a crime.

I am lucky and entitled or whatever in my own way to have family members willing to put up with having me in the house, despite the fact that they fought it tooth and nail for a couple years not long ago, and have been happy to call the cops and 5150 my a** because they think there’s a bottle with too many pills in it laying around and I’m not taking my meds.

Not to sound ungrateful or anything.
I apologize for any paragraphs that were a mouthful or not well written.

I guess there might be some similarities between late stage capitalism, and late stage communism, that could both benefit from some community organizing in the modern world.

To keep it super Austin, where are the anarchist community builders at when you need them, when it seems all systems seem to crumble in the end.

stick around, stoked to have you here

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...