Homeless problems.

Dirty_habiT

Apparently multiple cities in the USA are experiencing a "homeless crisis" like never before.  My home city, Austin, TX, is not excluded.  Our city council is working on passing laws right now that will make it "ok to sleep in public."  This effectively allows tent cities to not be illegal.

The Austin reddit sub (which I highly recommend the shit show if you like comedic value) is constantly teeming with discussion around the topic.  From what I've gathered there are people that say "not my problem" about it and there are people that say "let's do whatever we can to help."  I've seen the subject beat into the ground online already but I'm curious what a more global audience has to say about it.

Austin, TX is very quickly starting to look like pictures I've seen of the tenderloin in San Fransisco.  We're not quite there yet, but it doesn't seem to be going backwards, it's growing.  I've heard Seattle is having the same types of issues.  I visited Colorado Springs a few weeks back, which I do every year for the past 10 years, and have noticed that their homeless population seems to be growing disproportionately to the rest of the city.

My answer to the problem is to stop giving cash out at intersections to people pan handling.  I think that's really helping perpetuate the problem because once the dollar is exchanged, it's up to the person who is homeless to decide how they will manage their budget.  Most of them are not good at this, I would guess.

I want to hear your stories about what is happening in your city.  You don't have to say what city you live in if you're concerned about privacy.  I hope this can start a productive discussion and I'll get to hear some ideas and stories that are new to me.  Thank you for reading and if you have any questions for me about Austin I'd be happy to answer them to the best of my ability.

• Like 2

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

The tenderloin was mad when I was there in 2009 every horizontal surface either had somebody on it or under it.

The weirdest was seeing a dude beating off under a blanket next to some traffic lights. with people just walking past

Adelaide Australia  where i live would have a minimal homelessness problem by world standards but 6,000 estimated people sleeping rough in a statewide population of 1.6 million is pretty big.

That doesn't even take into account the numbers who are pretty much homeless.

I can't really do anything to help them so I donate my monthly charity money to a group called Foodbank who distribute food to the poorer people and charities etc. in South Australia.
I give 200 bucks a month which equates to about 400 meals at their cost basis which seems pretty sweet though the meals can't be too good. When my kids get older and more independent I'll probably try and volunteer  a night a week or something as well.

Small numbers of these would be seasonal homeless.

An amount of indigenous Australians come down from the APY( indigenous run lands like reservations) lands north to sleep in the parks over summer because it's relatively ( very) dry and at least a bit cooler down here than in the baking desert heat.

Last time I was driving around Sydney it was shocking the numbers of tents strung up (partly because they kept on fucking up our painting plans) under bridges train tracks etc.

All these glittering skyscrapers and monuments to be so wealthy and yet there are families sleeping in tents under Wentworth park bridge. I heard some get charged rent by street gangs but that might be a tabloid beat up.

Loads of Sydney homeless get on the Newcastle or Lithgow trains leaving after midnight.  Three hours up there in the warmth. walk around hit the first train back to Sydney.  No point trying to fine them for no ticket - no ID, no address, not gonna pay it.

They have security guards there to sort of protect the homeless from less scrupulous people.

Weird when I was a kid every area had it's weirdo/tramp/hobo that was resident but now you can't even pick them there's too many in Sydney

• Like 2
  • Props 1

Chicago aint bad on occasion you see small homeless groups but nothing crazy the way you see it in the warmer states. The first time i saw a homeless community in california my jaw dropped that shit is wild.

although I understand why some people would rather be homeless in california then chicago. I have a few friends out there some that say they've actually tried to help these cats and they rather just not work. 

• Like 1

Not giving someone $ won't stop them from being homeless or make them work.  I've gone through some times and thinking like I'm not giving this dude $ he's just going to smoke it up.  But on the other hand it's his choice and fuck, being homeless maybe he needs to get high right now.  Plus let's say I'm real nice and give him $5, what's he going to do, get a room for the night with that?  And of course not all homeless are addicts.  

Anyhow, I've always been an advocate for the homeless.  I used to help make sandwiches and deliver food to homeless persons who, for various reasons, refused shelter.  Other times I've handed joints to certain regulars I've seen panhandling.  Some of my day in pies pix are of various homeless camps I encounter, it's sometimes gritty survival mixed with some smart Macgyver shit to me and I appreciate it.  Years ago I found this shanty town in the LA river, never seen anyhting like that before.  We helped this old lady who couldn't speak English move her shit because she was having trouble.  As for giving money, I tend not to give to charitable organizations because there are few where 100% of what you give goes to the homeless.  I get that they have overhead or whatever, but I'd rather give a whole dollar directly to a homeless person.  

Sleeping outside shouldn't be a crime IMO and only leads to harrassment and unfortunate encounters with police, as well as furthering a negative view of the homeless.  It also doesn't stop homelessness, more of a broken windows thing.  Solutions begin with identifying the causes.  We have plenty of homeless Vets and mentally ill, but decreased services/funding for them.  

Deep discussion shit, many levels and don't wish to leave a wall o text.

Also, this:

• Like 1
  • Truth 2
  • Props 1

Dark Days was such a great documentary..i've seen it about 4 or 5 times.

I still need to watch Seattle is Dying....a lot of people here in my city (Sacto, CA) are saying we could be next.

Here in my city we literally have people camping in residential neighborhoods in front of homes, squatters in vacant homes, huge communities of tent cities by the rivers, etc etc...

a recent report came out last month saying homelessness in our city increased by 19%:

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-sacramento-county-homeless-count-increase-methodology-20190626-story.html

• Like 1
  • Pause 1
  • Truth 1

1 hour ago, CALIgula said:

Dark Days was such a great documentary..i've seen it about 4 or 5 times.

I still need to watch Seattle is Dying....a lot of people here in my city (Sacto, CA) are saying we could be next.

Here in my city we literally have people camping in residential neighborhoods in front of homes, squatters in vacant homes, huge communities of tent cities by the rivers, etc etc...

a recent report came out last month saying homelessness in our city increased by 19%:

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-sacramento-county-homeless-count-increase-methodology-20190626-story.html

The soundtrack for DD was killer too

3 hours ago, One Man Banned said:

As for giving money, I tend not to give to charitable organizations because there are few where 100% of what you give goes to the homeless.  I get that they have overhead or whatever, but I'd rather give a whole dollar directly to a homeless person.  

Sleeping outside shouldn't be a crime IMO and only leads to harrassment and unfortunate encounters with police, as well as furthering a negative view of the homeless.  

Agreed on the % of donations that go to a person but I believe the charity I support is relatively good on that front. and completely agree on second point.

• Like 1
  • Truth 1

I'm glad there is a discussion going on here.  I feel really terrible for these people, I've boiled down to "I just want them to have nice things and do well for themselves."  That may be is a very selfish way for me to look at it.... thinking that they should want what I think they should want.  I think the most difficult thing that I've considered is that someone could end up with a very tough start if they got, say, kicked out of their house at a young age, or left their home due to abuse at a young age.  That's going to be extremely tough to possess or quickly acquire the maturity needed to survive in a situation like that.  In any case, I do not know how and cannot think of any way to assist people that are in or have been in a situation like that.  I think when we can solve the tougher stuff then we will move past a problem like this and "every living soul can be upright and strong."  Chemical dependency can be solved if people commit to working through the programs.  Yes, many people fail, the programs likely aren't perfect.

I've been ordered to go through addiction treatment type stuff as a part of a non-drug related offense before in Dallas.  What it did was help me learn a lot more about myself and about the things that cause people to spiral down the hole into oblivion.

@SukiSukiNow- Hello, I hope you're doing well.

@Moe Szyslak- If you're comfortable with it, can you talk more about the situation in more detail?

@CALIgula- I can't even fathom what it would be like to have people camping in your neighborhood.  It's no wonder people are leaving California in droves.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_homeless_population - You can sort the list by percentage.  There are some rather "modern" countries that have very low homeless percentages.  I wonder what they're doing differently.  USA is on the list towards the mid/upper median range.

if people posting this have not been to oakland california, you know nothing about homeless encampments... 

when people visit from the states and abroad and roll them down wood street or 7th, sides off Mandella etc and the reaction is always the same. shock and awe.  full streets impassable and taken over by huge tents and wood structures, broken down vehicles chopped up made into shelter...

last night about 10pm they cleaned out the big one under 580 at Adline, in a month it will be back in full force like every other time. 

they have made fenced in safe shelter areas with small shed type "homes", electricity and shower areas. its a nice gesture and helps some  but when you see how bad it is all over its such a tiny fraction... really heavy to see it daily and watch it grow and not shrink...

• Truth 1

18 hours ago, Dirty_habiT said:

@CALIgula- I can't even fathom what it would be like to have people camping in your neighborhood.  It's no wonder people are leaving California in droves.

It's more so the high cost of living now. 

And we're taxed like crazy. 

A lot of people are moving to Oregon. 

On 7/18/2019 at 6:57 PM, Dirty_habiT said:

@Moe Szyslak- If you're comfortable with it, can you talk more about the situation in more detail?

Sure. I started having periods of homelessness around 2012 but nothing too long. When i started using heroin and meth i went way down hill. Ended up being homeless with this 20 yr old bitch for about 5 yrs. Doing whatever to get by/ get high. In 2016 i finally had enough. I had been off my mental meds for 8 months plus shooting all sorts of substances in my arms. I guess looking back i just made a mental break from it one day. It was raining that day and i was hiding from the rain under a rubber placemat in back of a meat market. I got up and called 911 and told them i was gonna jump off a bridge. They came to get me and eventually i ended up in a mental hospital/detox for like a week. After i got out i didnt even want to get high. I really just wanted my life back i guess so i started reaching out to community resources like Caritos and ECHO for homeless people. I got on a list for this "tiny house village" up here in north east austin. I waited 9 months then got in. Homelessness aint no joke, especially when youre dealing with mental problems and addictions. Some people get used to it and it starts to not bother them as much. Some people get out. Some people are just lifers, like going on 30+ yrs and they wouldnt have it any other way. I personally couldnt stand each day. Thats just me tho. I stayed drunk from nov 2016 to just a few months ago to deal with the pain and stress of being homeless.  Right now i drink like 1 or 2 beers a day. Am eating somewhat healthy and about to start therapy. So im in the process of getting my life back, so to say.... ✌

• Like 1
  • Props 7

On 7/17/2019 at 1:21 PM, Dirty_habiT said:

Apparently multiple cities in the USA are experiencing a "homeless crisis" like never before.  My home city, Austin, TX, is not excluded.  Our city council is working on passing laws right now that will make it "ok to sleep in public."  This effectively allows tent cities to not be illegal.

Seattle seems to think differently..

EAAmekCWkAAY6lS.jpg.b3bffd40a8749d0153f2

(borrowed from The Nonsense Thread)

Forgot to comment on local homeless issues.  Seen some expansion of homelessness around shelter areas where, for now, people seem to be ignoring.  What is funny to me is that we have a pretty large park where for years they have tried to keep the homeless out, especially at night, with drinking/drugs being part of the issue.  Some strong enforcement efforts there over time have kept the place scarce of the homeless.  Now with microbrewing being in full swing they opened a beer garden there.  So for years they drove out the homeless to keep them from getting drunk in the park, so they can open a beer garden for yuppies and millemials to get drunk in the park.

• LOL! 2

Hypocrisy at it's finest.

In my city they did the CEO Sleepout to raise money for the homeless

But all these CEO's  sleep out on n\air mattresses, with security in the same spots rough sleepers would usually sleep????,

WTF so to make things better you're making things worse for those in trouble.....

I think like most things were seeing these days, its mostly low hanging fruit for politicians and high profile individuals that have a vested interest in the public perceiving them in a positive light. Lots of political type threads in here basically discussing this, but I've mentioned a a podcast a few times regarding binary dichotomies and how the MSM is built on traffic funneled in from click bait headlines that are engineered to get people arguing, since that the easiest ROI to produce engagement. Meanwhile, you have people that are increasingly feeling helpless and not in control of their own lives that literally feel better about themselves by joining whatever *tribe* aligns with their general ideology and world view and spend far too much time and effort telling other people how they should live with zero meaningful effect since the reality is they're spending their life obsessing over shit that's far outside their sphere of influence, let alone their sphere of control.

Honestly, its a super simple dynamic if you take a moment and consider it from this angle. Everyones being played. Best thing you can do is focus on you... How to be happy, while also figuring out how to be a decent human being. Focus on on your shpere of control and try and push the boundaries of it a little further out as you can afford to do so. Be honest about your sphere of influence and cautious about what time and effort you invest into it, because everyone gets the same 24 hours in a day and every moment of spent on that, takes away from what you can (and likely) should be doing for yourself. 

Believe if more people just *woke* up to that, things would quickly correct themselves and the world would be a far better place.

• Truth 2

The cost of living in Toronto has skyrocketed the past 5 years with the cost of housing at astronomical levels in the city proper and still unrealistically high in surrounding towns. Eg. Average rent for 1 bedroom at $12-1500/month and detached houses going for $1mill plus. It's easy to see the number of homeless increasing.

There was "Tent City" in a central ravine area in the early 2000s but it was dispersed by the city, they're still breaking up homeless communities that pop up along rivers and under bridges. They've opened a fair amount of shelters and safe injection sites around the city at the dismay of a lot of people who live in those areas, but because of the sheer volume of people needing these facilities it often gets ruined by the shitty few. The shelters fill up quick and even if you get into one as a small family or person just down on their luck with nowhere to go, you risk getting your shit stolen or some asshole will harass or assault you. 

Super frustrating to see but at the same time, a lot of not well off people are struggling as is. A few small stints of shit luck could leave you in the streets if you don't have family or friends to fall back on, at least the social systems in place here exist and healthcare is decent. Couldn't imagine being in a similar situation in the States where a small medical emergency could bankrupt you. 

Edited by aLBERThOFFMAN
Spelling
  • Like 2

The cherry on top is the fact a right wing populist provincial leader was voted in and has made a habit of cutting any services he can think of that moment including healthcare, education and metal health funding. *Surprised Pikachu*. 

The rehabilitation process for people admitted into psychological institutions is dismal. They get out and have nowhere to go. Any street in the core overnight has people sleeping on the sidewalks, sometimes without even a bag or any belongings during warm months. Just an empty beer, a pile of change and people don't even look twice let alone are surprised, you get used to it. 

A story was in the news recently where a person not criminally convicted of murdering someone due to mental disabilities managed to wander out of our major psychological institution and board an international flight. Not sure if they even found the guy. 

• Like 1