Jackson's Summer Trip to America Suggestion Thread

Jackson

Hello!

I finally got my visa to go to America, after 15 years of putting it off since my criminal conviction. (Stay out of trouble kids, it leads to a lot of admin when you are a grown up!)

In July I will be visiting the USA for a month, travelling around, drinking, eating, partying, exploring, learning, taking photographs, and meeting people etc. I will be on my own, adventuring!

Dear American Oontzers, please use this thread to help me plan my trip with suggestions of places/experiences/people/foodstuffs/swimming holes/neighbourhoods/bars/museums/whatever/wherever that you would suggest I check out.

Also anyone who lives in a cool place which may be on my route, which I haven't even started planning yet, wants to grab a beer or 10, and introduce me to their fit anglophile lady pals, then lets organise that too!

Because I am from London, England, I am fairly well travelled in Europe: France, Spain, Belgium, Germany, Italy, Portugal, Croatia, Austria, Greece, Serbia, Latvia, Lithuania, Denmark, Sweden, Morocco, and last year I went to Japan, which was fucking amazing.

I enjoy travelling to less touristy, more interesting, slightly fucked up spots. I will not be visiting Disney Land, I would rather go to that truck stop in Pee Wee's Big Adventure with the dinosaurs. I want to go to Texas. I want to go to New Orleans. I want to go to Area 51. I am thinking of taking the California Zephyr. I know it is going to be hot as shit. I am coming round to the fact that I might have to take internal flights. 

Anyway, whaddya say? 

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I would research the Zephyr or any Amtrak route carefully in all ways.  Not quite as romantic as they advertise it to be, but still can be cool.  You also want to make sure that any trip you take will pass through areas you want to see during the daytime unless you're just using it to go from A to B.

There's odd/unusual shit everywhere, what are you into?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, One Man Banned said:

I would research the Zephyr or any Amtrak route carefully in all ways.

Yeah I have heard they are are not ageing well and a bit rough around the edges.

I am not bothered by luxury accommodation, I would much rather stay somewhere cheap and low key and spend the money saved on experiences. 

In no particular order my preferences for things to see and do: small towns with scary locals, regional museums, art galleries, barbecue restaurants, those endless buffets I have seen they have in Vegas which serve every kind of food, places with really good light, signposted photo opportunities, Avery Island, Italian American gangsters, indie clubs, low-rent shopping malls, thrift stores, Jamaican food, if someone could advise on the best place to go watch baseball that would be great, chicken fried steak, those mexican beer cocktails with the spicy sauce in em, spicy food generally, Mexican bits of Texas, and so on and so forth.

If this thread yields one golden nugget I will be happy.

Ha, small towns w/ scary locals?  Still need to narrow that down, there's different kinds of scary lol.  BBQ is fucking great and there are some regional specialties, might shout out what I know when I see your route.  Italian gangsters don't hang out in front of social clubs no more.  You can go to Bensonhurst in Brooklyn and try to spot the real ones from all the other fakes.  Otherwise you don't see them until they take a bullet behind the ear.  Jamaican food is damn good stuff.  Feel like the East Coast offers the best opportunities there because closer to Jamaica but this is not always the case.  

If you get towards western North Carolina I can show you Carolina style bbq (whole hog,  my preferred of the styles), hallucinogens, waterfalls,  probably bears, turkeys,  poisonous red newts, some big ass confederate flags, a bunch of old spray paint and lego. I might let you play with a chainsaw if you ask nicely. 

(This invite stands for most oontzers, of course not dysskise or however that dipshit spells his name) 

• Like 2
  • Props 1
  • LOL! 1

40 minutes ago, misteraven said:

National League rodeo circuit

My new favourite four words.

Dear @misteraven and @Fist 666these are both fabulous invitations, and you are very kind to offer.

I am very interested in doing big countryside things, Wyoming looks amazing, and there is a place there called Jackson's Hole NH. Cowboy shit is also my vibe nh again.

I would love to do Yellowstone, and go on a bit of an Ansel Adams crawl.

That west coast through Oregon is lovely apparently, with great beaches, and perhaps up north will be a good place to avoid the heat of July?

I am finding it hard to decide if I should do the east coast, and a bit of south like New Orleans, or go west coast Cali Mexico and Texas wibes. Wanna go to Marfa TX and drive around in those bits round there too.

1 hour ago, Fist 666 said:

If you get towards western North Carolina I can show you Carolina style bbq (whole hog,  my preferred of the styles), hallucinogens, waterfalls,  probably bears, turkeys,  poisonous red newts, some big ass confederate flags, a bunch of old spray paint and lego. I might let you play with a chainsaw if you ask nicely. 

(This invite stands for most oontzers, of course not dysskise or however that dipshit spells his name) 

You had me at hallucinogens.

• Like 1
  • LOL! 1

A month is a good amount of time, but not that much time. Honestly if you want to maximize your time, you'll have to fly. Lots of the things you mentioned are in completely different spots of the country. Italian-American gangsters (or wannabes) are in the northeast... New York, Jersey. California or Vegas is a 5 hour flight from New York, or a few days' drive/train ride.

Personally I do like seeing everything so I would drive, but if you really want to maximize your time in the cities, flying is the best plan.

If you end up in Miami let me know, I can show you around.

• Props 1

I went for a weekend in New Orleans recently and think that you have a good idea in visiting there, beyond that I think you need to pick a region, if you try to go through the whole country, even by plane, you will spend the whole month in transit.

How about this:

New Orleans-Havana or San Juan-Mexico City-Tijuana-San Diego-Los Angeles-San Francisco with 5 days less transit at the first three stops and the west coast portion by car, rental pick up in San Diego. 

Maybe skip SF and drive La Paz to LA instead, this will leave most of the US on the table for a later visit but will put the region in a different context.

• Like 1

I've gone W > E Coast by car in 4 weeks or less making sightseeing stops along the way, mostly in the first half, so it can be done in that time easily.  

Regional idea is good.  Personally seen enough Cali that I'd probably start above SF and travel Point Reyes into wine country, then up past Sac through OR/WA.  If I were going to leave the country I'd go to CAN over MEX, Vancouver if you're staying W Coast.  Also Misteraven offers a good deal somewhat in that direction, beautiful country there.  Also since you're considering the interesting x cowboy route depending on where you go I'll suggest you look up and see if they have a prison rodeo... probably only 1-2 places left that does but hey, pretty unique.

• Props 1

I would skip the Oregon coast and section hike the PCT through the Goat Rocks Wilderness in Washington, if outdoorsy pacific northwest is on your to do list.

I do not get why Texas is on the list, I think a visit to the midwest would be more interesting, for that matter I generally like to visit capitol cities of major nations and would so suggest DC, although I have never been to either dc or texas.

I disagree with One Man, if you are going to go out of the USA go Mexico all the way and if you are going to go to Canada go to Toronto over Vancouver. 

Zion National Park in Utah or any of the big name national parks, arches, grand canyon, ect. 

Be aware that if you do go by train that it will not be up to European standards and you may wait for long periods because Amtrak yields to freight in the general case.  

22 hours ago, earmuffs said:

Or come to north Texas and not deal with hipster liberals. 

Whoa whoa whoa whoa.  I live in Austin and I don't like the hipster liberals.  I like doing redneck shit.

Also, Jackson.... if you pass through Austin, TX I can probably show you some places to eat and some cool outdoor places to swim.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, LUGR said:

remember that?

I remember, he was making burgers that were the same diameter as the plate. He was a occasional tinychat participant also but I do not recall the name.

I think his marriage and restaurant fell apart but I could be wrong.