Cryptocurrency

CLICKCLACKONER

1 hour ago, LUGR said:

hmmmmm, sounds sus

One would think that those servers (or any computers within a corp the size of BP) would not be able to accept any foreign USB with out some sort of Admin authorization.

That's what I had mentioned, but he said the guy had it set up to look like it was a keyboard/mouse connected.  He eventually got caught though, but before he was doing this since 2020 when lockdown was in effect. 

I hear you though, dude could have been feeding me a bunch of hear say.

Edited by ndv
  • Like 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

As a follow up I highly warn against "staking" cryptocurrency within a crypto exchange. ETH can only be truly staked if you operate a validator and have 32 ETH to put up front. Staking on an exchange is always at a lower rate, and with much higher fees associated. Not worth it.

Crypto exchanges will not only house your staked ETH (or any other asset) when they inevitably collapse, get hacked, etc. They will also report your earnings to the IRS and now you're going to need an accountant to go through and document when you bought said ETH, how much, and when it was staked, how much you've cashed out, etc.

I've said this a million times in here, and I'll say it again. The entire point behind cryptocurrency is self custody. You memorize those 12 words in your nemonic, and they can't touch your riches, even if they had MC Hammer and them 357 bitches. The crypto you hold in self custody, and control yourself, no lawsuit, government, criminal court, or bank can ever confiscate it from you without them keys or your permission.

More importantly exchanges are constantly going under, and although they project an image of stability and confidence. You never know when the next one will fail. Every cycle we go through it seems like the biggest player goes under and people who leave their money on them are left holding nothing but their own dick in their hands.

• Props 1

I agree, not a fan of staking and definitely discouraged anyone to do it.  What Mercer said is true to the core.  Another real world analogy to explaine how stupid staking is.  It's like giving your bank a million bucks, they in return lend it out, they get the rewards on interest and you're left with just seeing a number on you statement.   Basically, you could invest the mil into something that will make you money but you also own.  Like a franchise, or car wash, laundromat or whatever business. 

I did because I didn't fully understand what staking was and since it is 0.00199 ETH, I didn't think too much about it.

Now that I am seeing what the percentage earnings are and what it costs to unstake it for what it's worth.  It's laughable, i would say it's pretty much gone because the higher ETH gains in value, apparently the unstaking price in creases.  Doesn't make sense to me - live and learn. 

3 hours ago, ndv said:

That's what I had mentioned, but he said the guy had it set up to look like it was a keyboard/mouse connected.  He eventually got caught though, but before he was doing this since 2020 when lockdown was in effect. 

I hear you though, dude could have been feeding me a bunch of hear say.

probably wasn’t worth it…..?

People do this shit all the time with work computers/servers. Sometimes they even bring their own mining rigs into work so the company foots the electric bill. I'd imagine you could earn far more than your salary doing it, but could you not get caught long enough to out earn the rest of your entire career which gets destroyed when you're eventually jammed up, probably not. 

TLDR: If you're going to do wrong, better do wrong right. Don't get caught.

Edited by Mercer
  • Truth 1

16 minutes ago, LUGR said:

probably wasn’t worth it…..?

I don't know because from what he was telling me that I didn't include something just doesn't kinda sound right.   

So basically, he said what lead to suspension is that the guy pulls up in a Lambo one day and said he made some really good investments.  To include, he goes on to say when BP found out what he was doing BP was trying to get him to pay some 300k electric bill for the use of it, but the guy threatened to take it public as black mail and BP dropped it.  

Idk, but whatever is the truth.  All I am saying, if they guy really did what he did, using your employers' equipment because they have that kind of processing power, and someone has access to it, why not?  It's a gamble but, what's worse, working for said company and believing in their 401k?  

But yes, all in all, it does sound sus.  Don't shoot the messenger. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ndv said:

I don't know because from what he was telling me that I didn't include something just doesn't kinda sound right.   

So basically, he said what lead to suspension is that the guy pulls up in a Lambo one day and said he made some really good investments.  To include, he goes on to say when BP found out what he was doing BP was trying to get him to pay some 300k electric bill for the use of it, but the guy threatened to take it public as black mail and BP dropped it.  

Idk, but whatever is the truth.  All I am saying, if they guy really did what he did, using your employers' equipment because they have that kind of processing power, and someone has access to it, why not?  It's a gamble but, what's worse, working for said company and believing in their 401k?  

But yes, all in all, it does sound sus.  Don't shoot the messenger. 

I just imagine BP’s army of lawyers frothing at the mouth to make an example of him.

interesting stuff fo sho 

• Truth 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, LUGR said:

So Papa John’s holding that coin?

Not sure.  From a story I read is that a guy gave someone 5100 btc to someone to buy him a pizza.  Dude bought the guy a pizza in exchange for btc. 

If this is exact, right now the btc is currently worth  $338,023,088.73 at moments ago rate. 

Edited by ndv
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ndv said:

Not sure.  From a story I read is that a guy gave someone 5100 btc to someone to buy him a pizza.  Dude bought the guy a pizza in exchange for btc. 

If this is exact, right now the btc is currently worth  $338,023,088.73 at moments ago rate. 

I’m on another forum where a user who is a recovering drug addict used to use Bitcoin to buy his drugs back in the day. He claims he had what would now be worth millions, but I guess spent it all on dope.

4 hours ago, LUGR said:

I’m on another forum where a user who is a recovering drug addict used to use Bitcoin to buy his drugs back in the day. He claims he had what would now be worth millions, but I guess spent it all on dope.

I know a dude or two like this. Such a giant bummer lol. Can’t know what you didn’t know though so it’s totally understandable. 

• Truth 1

6 hours ago, NightmareOnElmStreet said:

I know a dude or two like this. Such a giant bummer lol. Can’t know what you didn’t know though so it’s totally understandable. 

Piggy backing off this, I feel way worse for the mf’s that actually did know and just straight up lost or sold shit off way back in the early days. A good friend of mine lost his in the vortex a bunch of years back before it started climbing. According to him he had several btc. Worth a fucking shitload of money. All gone. 

I’m one of the assholes that lost a bunch of monero. When I first moved ti Montana about 8 years ago, I had a video based desktop mining monero through a GUI based labor pool 24-7 for about a year and a half. Then got side tracked a bit. When I returned to it, the app was dead and the company that made it was gone. Like an asshole, I never shifted any off into my own custody. To this day, I have no idea how much I had, but this was a time when mining ETH was even doable since it was something like $30 from what I remember. I chose Monero based on some discussion on The Survival Podcast and because mining it versus ETH was more fun with the numbers going up faster. 

I still have the hard drive saved but launching the app just errors out and multiple google searches informed me that the developers disappeared and lots of people got fucked. 

• Like 1

On 3/16/2024 at 9:36 PM, ndv said:

I am wrong on this but yeah @misteraven 's post stands correct. 

That's insane how some thing went from basically trading chuckee cheese tickets to basically gold bars so to speak. 

The dude can't feel too bad, not as bad as the guy who claimed he tossed his thumb drive full of btc in the trash by mistake.  

Imagine having a Back to the Future moment and going back in time to talk to Biff (yourself in 2010) and being like.. hey you stupid cunt, listen to that fool on 12oz and buy $100 worth of Bitcoin and don’t touch it until like March of 2024 or i’m gonna come back in time again and beat the absolute piss out of you. 

edit: maybe use it to buy a burrito 1 time for the meme. 

Edited by abrasivesaint
  • Truth 1
  • LOL! 1

7 minutes ago, abrasivesaint said:

Imagine having a Back to the Future moment and going back in time to talk to Biff (yourself in 2010) and being like.. hey you stupid cunt, listen to that fool on 12oz and buy $100 worth of Bitcoin and don’t touch it until like March of 2024 or i’m gonna come back in time again and beat the absolute piss out of you. 

edit: maybe use it to buy a burrito 1 time for the meme. 

Honestly, I am pretty much this guy.  Had a co-worker (who was mining at the time) walk past my office and said, "you should get a digital wallet".  Just looked at him, never asked why, wish I would've asked, "what's a digital wallet?" 

Come to think of it him another buddy of ours were mining, this was somewhere around 2008-2010.  Come to think of it, I remeber when I would go over to his house to hang, he had this computer set up where one PC stayed on 24/7, no one touched it, the other PC was just for internet and other entertainment purposes. 

I remeber my other buddy came home all excited about receiving 2 $10k video cards from a friend who was working for an O&G company that was updating their systems.  Anyhow, now I understand why he was so excited and had a crazy set up too.  I figured they were in the know.

Still wish I would've just asked why?

I am sure there are some people out there who are sitting on a few million btc and eth.

• Truth 1

Okay, imagine I'm 8 years old and I have a couple grand to invest... explain this bitcoin or ETH, or whatever it's called, to me so I know where/how to invest my monies in the right place. 

This is all assuming the world will still be here in five years. 

• Like 1
  • LOL! 1

6 hours ago, Joker said:

Okay, imagine I'm 8 years old and I have a couple grand to invest... explain this bitcoin or ETH, or whatever it's called, to me so I know where/how to invest my monies in the right place. 

This is all assuming the world will still be here in five years. 

This is probably a good time to hit @Mercerabout or check the Jekyll Island group for threads on the subject. Thor or get I. Touch with my son, who knows more than I do at this point. 

• Like 1

On 3/17/2024 at 8:00 AM, NightmareOnElmStreet said:

Piggy backing off this, I feel way worse for the mf’s that actually did know and just straight up lost or sold shit off way back in the early days. A good friend of mine lost his in the vortex a bunch of years back before it started climbing. According to him he had several btc. Worth a fucking shitload of money. All gone. 

Have a home girl who bought 1 BTC back in the day for $1,000 and sold it at $10,000. Still a respectable profit, but it would be really hard for me not to beat myself up over it lol. Honestly maybe like one of the least likely girls you’d think would ever make a move like that, and even back in the day like that! 👏 👏 

• Like 2